News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pissed off North is not playing. All day I have been grumbling to myself that it's 1896 all over again, stupid Carlton getting our spot because of their money. But as a woman who loves footy, and knows girls who play, this is ******* awesome.

This has been a complete success in every single way that it could be measured. The footy has been excellent.
Some good smart play, hard hits, massive effort, big crowd. And Collingwood loses. What more could you want?

That was awesome. Vescio is is a freak.

I had a brief moment during the game when it struck me that I was getting a glimpse of how (straight) women watch men's AFL. All those hot men in short shorts! How do they concentrate on the action??

Well here's the role reversal, and of course I was vastly more interested in the quality of the footy than whether the girls were cute. Yeah every now and again you get a close up and think "noice" and then a ball up happens and I couldn't care less again. That's how women do it!

The best thing for me, as a dad with a daughter who starts her first pre-season in a couple of weeks, I can see that by the time she gets to seniors age there will be a serious pathway for her to play footy as a career if she's good enough and keen enough. Exciting times :)

I am pissed off North is not playing. All day I have been grumbling to myself that it's 1896 all over again, stupid Carlton getting our spot because of their money. But as a woman who loves footy, and knows girls who play, this is ******* awesome.

Take heart (to heart) - at least *Essendon missed out too ;)

Better than I expected. Easy to watch despite some dreadful skills. First ever game at the level so it will get better. Never seen a better example of AFL marketing - the AFLW has been everywhere. In every newspaper, on radio, TV etc etc. Amazing effort.

The best thing for me, as a dad with a daughter who starts her first pre-season in a couple of weeks, I can see that by the time she gets to seniors age there will be a serious pathway for her to play footy as a career if she's good enough and keen enough. Exciting times :)
Exactly what I'm thinking. It's come around 10 years too late for me, but this is going to give my baby girl every opportunity to play if she wants/is good enough. Girls now are going to get the opportunity some of us craved as younguns. Very exciting!

Better than I expected. Easy to watch despite some dreadful skills. First ever game at the level so it will get better. Never seen a better example of AFL marketing - the AFLW has been everywhere. In every newspaper, on radio, TV etc etc. Amazing effort.

I happened to watch the exhibition match followed by a Vixens netball game close afterwards last year.

it was palpably obvious that the basic athleticism and skills of the netballers was (on average) light years ahead of the footballers. Which is hardly a surprise given netball is the leading elite team ball sport in this country for women. The best tend to end up there.

The point being that what we're seeing in terms of skills is going to go through a massive evolution in a short amount of time. Where tonight Vescio looked a level above, soon enough her skills will look decidedly pedestrian as more and more athletic and talented women grow up playing footballand prefer that sport (and yes I reckon Vescio will up her game at the same time as she is a freak). The downside of course is the talent drain away from netball etc but I guess not everyone can be winners.

This could realistically add 15% to the TV rights. Which may equate to a few hundred million in a few years.

What a $4m investment from the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree, I'd love to know what criteria they chose to select the 8 clubs, it's hard to think that many of those clubs have done more for women/migrants and community integration than North.

Totally agree, I'd love to know what criteria they chose to select the 8 clubs, it's hard to think that many of those clubs have done more for women/migrants and community integration than North.
Collingwood because derp they need to be in everything. Interstate teams because coverage. Other Melbourne teams because "got there first" probably.

Have a plastic license with the AFL desperate to get them any kind of support before they go bankrupt, or be a fat cat club with your sycophants in the AFL commission who pushed their club to have a license ahead of clubs that actually did something for women in football.

I assume, like any pie the AFL has its finger in, it will expand.
Given the influence we've already had on the league with our Melbourne Uni ties, i would hope we're one of the next in line when it does.
Its disappointing we don't have a team right now, but given the big money in professional sports these days & the fact that 49% of AFL members are women, I don't see why we won't be involved sooner rather than later.

Man, would it be great if this Freo team won a premiership before the men's team did.

I assume, like any pie the AFL has its finger in, it will expand.
Given the influence we've already had on the league with our Melbourne Uni ties, i would hope we're one of the next in line when it does.
Its disappointing we don't have a team right now, but given the big money in professional sports these days & the fact that 49% of AFL members are women, I don't see why we won't be involved sooner rather than later.

Man, would it be great if this Freo team won a premiership before the men's team did.
We have a "provisional" licence that for now means bugger all. They could not expand it ever.

The AFL will need to expand the comp to have a women's team for each men's team. I'm a member at the Diamond Creek Womens Football Club and we have women in each of the 4 Melbourne teams but I just can't bring myself to go and watch any of them live. It must be NMFC or nothing. The question is when, which I unfortunately suspect is years away.

Am i the only one that thought it was rubbish?

No. It was rubbish.

But last night wasn't the finished article I suppose. It was just one game and time will tell in the long run. The AFL have promoted the crap out of it and done that extremely well. The "sell-out" (not sure how you sell out of something you're giving away) was a great result and they've captured our attention. However, I honestly have no idea what time, money and effort they're putting into women's leagues around the country though but they'll need to. In the end, the final product has to stand up to scrutiny and on last night's showing, it's not a great product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back