News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how many hung back to watch the Ladies? :stern look
Sadly zero interest.
Went and had a kick in the park before heading home.
All for women's footy but would have liked to head out onto the ground at some point

So how many hung back to watch the Ladies? :stern look

Hung about for a few minutes and saw the first two goals kicked by North. Must say it took me back in time to see the girls lining up in traditional positions and staying there until the ball was delivered into their vicinity. Must be back in the 1950's when this last happened.

Sadly zero interest.
Went and had a kick in the park before heading home.
All for women's footy but would have liked to head out onto the ground at some point
Watched the whole thing. North team far, far too good. Fantastic to see the ladies representing the blue and white.

Hung about for a few minutes and saw the first two goals kicked by North. Must say it took me back in time to see the girls lining up in traditional positions and staying there until the ball was delivered into their vicinity. Must be back in the 1950's when this last happened.
From what I saw - and the scoreline - that was more the women's football everyone enjoyed in the exhibition games and has been removed in the AFLW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plot thickens with Geelong and Saints letting the AFL know of their displeasure in having the goalposts moved. Good.

What is this in reference to? I haven't been paying a lot of attention to pre-season news.

What is this in reference to? I haven't been paying a lot of attention to pre-season news.
Couple of individual comments in the past fortnight, and today a big Caro article with both clubs going hard. Must say I would have liked it to be about North's case as well, but I assume it was pitched to her jointly by the two clubs. If momentum builds for expansion I'd hope and assume we would be in the thick of it.

Couple of individual comments in the past fortnight, and today a big Caro article with both clubs going hard. Must say I would have liked it to be about North's case as well, but I assume it was pitched to her jointly by the two clubs. If momentum builds for expansion I'd hope and assume we would be in the thick of it.

We have a provisional license so we are the next cab off the rank, others who do not would need to work a lot harder for their opportunity.

I don't mean this as disrespectful, but staying away from WAFL will be a blessing in disguise. No one cares about it at all anymore now the practice games have started. Will be a money pit

Last edited:
We have a provisional license so we are the next cab off the rank, others who do not would need to work a lot harder for their opportunity.

I hate to be a pessimist, but this is rubbish. The provisional license is meaningless. We will be competing with 9 other clubs for the next available licenses.

I hate to be a pessimist, but this is rubbish. The provisional license is meaningless. We will be competing with 9 other clubs for the next available licenses.

"The Geelong Cats, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and the West Coast Eagles have each been granted provisional licences, and in the coming days will be provided with an outline of how the AFL will work closely with them to develop the talent base and ensure they are part of an expanded competition at the earliest possible opportunity, some as early as 2018."

We have to fight against 5 clubs, we already have the strongest pathway for women football having the long-time association with MU and now our academy in Tasmania.

The step to playing games at Arden Street, and hopefully have more games here, particularly with the women's league will have us in a good position imo. Obviously we aren't going to get squat just sitting on our arse and doing nothing and expecting a license, like Collingwood and Carlton. But I would expect us to be in the next round of teams, assuming 2-4 are added in the next wave.

I thought all the other bidders got provisional licenses.

Yeah, 5 clubs got a provisional license. Did eagles even bid? I thought they pulled out saying they weren't ready.

If Sydney asks for a team and backs their claim with the slimmest evidence of an increase in girls participating in Auskick in NSW, they'll get the very next license before any of the provisionally licensed teams.

Another Caro article today about Cats and Saints making submissions to the commission this week for two extra teams next year, thought (smart money, I guess) to be last chance for expansion. Will be very disappointed if North drops away - it really limited my interest in season 1 after the first couple of games.

The purists might scoff but this makes perfect business sense. Netball, Soccer, Cricket, AFL etc will each in their own way appeal to a segment (with many overlaps) in the market and in some shape or form each of those segments will have an influential link back to either an existing AFL supporter or a potential AFL supporter and that's the aim of the game. Go hard North.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back