News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the AFL don't respond to pressure from Geelong and St.Kilda by granting 2 new licences next year and still leave us out in the cold
They will to the AFL we are a Joke they don't care about North and I'm just waiting to they take Good Friday off us and move it to the MCG with Collingwood and the Scumdogs being there opponents

Gillion McLachlan

✔@G
illion_McLachlan
We're excited to announce fulltime AFLW licences have been granted for the expanded competition in 2019

✔@Gillion_McLachlan
Essendon and Hawthorn have proven themselves as exemplary organisations over the journey

✔@Gillion_McLachlan
While weight was given to previous AFLW submissions we always said that alone would not form a major consideration in the selection process

✔@Gillion_McLachlan
The AFLW will be all the richer for the inclusion of these fantastic family oriented socially responsible football clubs

The day we get a team is the day I'll watch a game of AFLW - and not a second before.
You're missing out. Comp was great this year and will only get better.

One thing is for sure, if we get a Tassie based team it will be the beginning of the end. The "move the men down to join the women" rhetoric will never end. Either the North Melbourne footy team is in North Melbourne, or it's not a North Melbourne football team.

One thing is for sure, if we get a Tassie based team it will be the beginning of the end. The "move the men down to join the women" rhetoric will never end. Either the North Melbourne footy team is in North Melbourne, or it's not a North Melbourne football team.

Not really, I don't generally follow sports as a rule and I certainly don't follow football as a rule. I follow the NMFC. I'd love to be able to support a women's team, but we're up against it enough without having to spend 50 years playing catchup in a second league...

100% agree.

The games there are necessary. The more additional s**t they 'give' us with a Tasmanian tag, the more tainted that chalice becomes.

Yep, **** that. It will be the link that will never die. Getting a women's team is all good and well but the first step must be a stand alone VFL side surely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gillion McLachlan

@G
illion_McLachlan
We're excited to announce fulltime AFLW licences have been granted for the expanded competition in 2019

@Gillion_McLachlan
Essendon and Hawthorn have proven themselves as exemplary organisations over the journey

@Gillion_McLachlan
While weight was given to previous AFLW submissions we always said that alone would not form a major consideration in the selection process

@Gillion_McLachlan
The AFLW will be all the richer for the inclusion of these fantastic family oriented socially responsible football clubs
Did Gillion just label Essendon and Hawthorn "fantastic family oriented socially responsible football clubs." Or is this just a piss take?

WTF has a standalone VFL side got to do with the price of fish?
Money LTS. A women's side would cost a bit of coin without much return in its infancy. This money I feel would be better suited going towards a stand alone VFL side which would be a huge benefit to our Club's on field performance. We have to do this sooner or later or we will get left behind.

Money LTS. A women's side would cost a bit of coin without much return in its infancy. This money I feel would be better suited going towards a stand alone VFL side which would be a huge benefit to our Club's on field performance. We have to do this sooner or later or we will get left behind.
To late we are already behind and the worse is yet to come.

This is such a red herring. What do you suppose is going on at Werribee that isn't happening at Footscray? Or vice versa? John Lamont is a North Melbourne coach and he is playing a game plan and tactics to suit North Melbourne, and players (like Mason Wood last week) have their game time governed by North Melbourne conditioning staff. Werribee is a North Melbourne reserves team in all but name.

This is such a red herring. What do you suppose is going on at Werribee that isn't happening at Footscray? Or vice versa? John Lamont is a North Melbourne coach and he is playing a game plan and tactics to suit North Melbourne, and players (like Mason Wood last week) have their game time governed by North Melbourne conditioning staff. Werribee is a North Melbourne reserves team in all but name.
No it is not. Not by a long shot. Aside from being a seperate club altogether, the players do not train with each other for starters, then there is weekday reviews, meeting, more interaction with coaching and fitness staff, use of facilities, no listed players in development squads, etc. Logistically you could assume it would be smoother running plus it expands the North name. It will be a professional requirement in the future.

I agree that this is a red herring. Hawthorn have managed very well with a similar relationship with Box Hill, whereas Collingwood's AFL team has gone backwards since they had a stand alone VFL team. It is not a magic solution and there is no reason to suggest we have to choose between a stand alone VFL side and a women's team.

The other reason for an alliance with Werribee is that it gives us access to a rapidly growing population area and the football club has worked hard to form partnerships in Wyndham. The Huddle is operating there; the redeveloped local footy ground will include space for The Huddle; an academy is also underway. The suburb of North Melbourne's small population is a contributing factor to our low supporter base. Wyndham gives us an opportunity to address that and the club is taking that opportunity. The alliance with Werribee Football Club is an important part of that and walking away from it would jeopardise the good work being done. People who go on and on about a stand alone VFL team don't seem to understand that building a support base in Wyndham/Werribee is part of the Club's future planning and it is working hard to build that support base. It is one of the steps to building support in Melbourne and should be backed by all supporters who want North Melbourne to remain in Melbourne

I agree that this is a red herring. Hawthorn have managed very well with a similar relationship with Box Hill, whereas Collingwood's AFL team has gone backwards since they had a stand alone VFL team. It is not a magic solution and there is no reason to suggest we have to choose between a stand alone VFL side and a women's team.

The other reason for an alliance with Werribee is that it gives us access to a rapidly growing population area and the football club has worked hard to form partnerships in Wyndham. The Huddle is operating there; the redeveloped local footy ground will include space for The Huddle; an academy is also underway. The suburb of North Melbourne's small population is a contributing factor to our low supporter base. Wyndham gives us an opportunity to address that and the club is taking that opportunity. The alliance with Werribee Football Club is an important part of that and walking away from it would jeopardise the good work being done. People who go on and on about a stand alone VFL team don't seem to understand that building a support base in Wyndham/Werribee is part of the Club's future planning and it is working hard to build that support base. It is one of the steps to building support in Melbourne and should be backed by all supporters who want North Melbourne to remain in Melbourne
My view was from a performance one. But in terms of building a supporter base, will there be a name change to Weribee Kangaroos in the future? Box Hill did change their name from Mustangs to Hawks and wear brown and yellow. If we are trying to grow our supporter base in the area I would suggest blue and white Kangaroos instead of black and yellow Tigers would be the first angle. Especially if dealing with younger kids from non-football backgrounds in the Huddle who don't understand the pathways and VFL set up. I am no marketing expert but branding would be pretty important.

My view was from a performance one. But in terms of building a supporter base, will there be a name change to Weribee Kangaroos in the future? Box Hill did change their name from Mustangs to Hawks and wear brown and yellow. If we are trying to grow our supporter base in the area I would suggest blue and white Kangaroos instead of black and yellow Tigers would be the first angle. Especially if dealing with younger kids from non-football backgrounds in the Huddle who don't understand the pathways and VFL set up. I am no marketing expert but branding would be pretty important.

This is a very good point.

When i was a kid growing up in Hobart it was the colours that got me. I didn't even know that Sandy Bay and North were different sides till I was 5 or 6 years old.

Colours are a big deal if you're to recruit young fans.

Like that idea. Royal Blue with a big white 'W', a bit like our away strip of late 2000's, and keep the existing jumper for strip clashes.

But to do that you'd have to convince the Werribee faithful we were committed for the long haul...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back