News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My view was from a performance one. But in terms of building a supporter base, will there be a name change to Weribee Kangaroos in the future? Box Hill did change their name from Mustangs to Hawks and wear brown and yellow. If we are trying to grow our supporter base in the area I would suggest blue and white Kangaroos instead of black and yellow Tigers would be the first angle. Especially if dealing with younger kids from non-football backgrounds in the Huddle who don't understand the pathways and VFL set up. I am no marketing expert but branding would be pretty important.

I have no idea. I just live in the area and am impressed with the work the club is doing here. I don't know anything about the plans or arrangements between the two clubs but I do know that partnerships mean give and take and we can hardly expect to take over everything. Werribee football club has a board and members who would probably prefer to keep some of their own traditions and good on them. They have welcomed us and are working with us, but it doesn't mean they have to sacrifice their own traditions and identity

I have no idea. I just live in the area and am impressed with the work the club is doing here. I don't know anything about the plans or arrangements between the two clubs but I do know that partnerships mean give and take and we can hardly expect to take over everything. Werribee football club has a board and members who would probably prefer to keep some of their own traditions and good on them. They have welcomed us and are working with us, but it doesn't mean they have to sacrifice their own traditions and identity

It seems that they are far more welcoming and collaborative than Port Melbourne were.

AFL footy manager Simon Lethlean on the expansion of the Woman's league.

There will be a meeting on 15 May to confirm whether there will be expansion in 2018.

"It's not just Geelong or St Kilda who are keen, North Melbourne have worked really hard with Tasmania, West Coast are keen and so are the Tigers, so it's not a fait accompli who might come in either, so some work still to do. "

Can't see North being able to start a new women's team and a VFL team in the same year. Too much effort and expense.

"It's not just Geelong or St Kilda who are keen

Curious why they singled as more noteworthy in that statement then.

Hope we get it but slightly frustrating our submission has to be done with the caveat of being a Tassie side while other Vic clubs get to run theirs unencumbered and more aligned with their own club identity.

Curious why they singled as more noteworthy in that statement then.

Hope we get it but slightly frustrating our submission has to be done with the caveat of being a Tassie side while other Vic clubs get to run theirs unencumbered and more aligned with their own club identity.

The smart money has been on Geelong and StKilda getting the next two licences, which is why the statement essentially refutes that belief as a done deal.

We could continue our submission unencumbered by a Tasmanian partnership but it is clear that due to talent restrictions in Victoria, we would be last on the list of the so-called provisional license holders, and by the time we got meaningful consideration, we would be competing with Hawthorn and Essendon as well. Our alignment with Tasmania elevates us above some other clubs.

What is the obvious cost and time?
You don't just click your fingers and a football team appears. The club does not have a bottomless pit of money. Should just focus on getting the VFL team established and then worry about the women's team in a few years time. No need to get ahead of ourselves. Ultimately the men's team is the most important thing and where our focus should lie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't just click your fingers and a football team appears. The club does not have a bottomless pit of money. Should just focus on getting the VFL team established and then worry about the women's team in a few years time. No need to get ahead of ourselves. Ultimately the men's team is the most important thing and where our focus should lie.

Any danger you could post without attacking someone or something.

Any danger you could post without attacking someone or something.
Sorry how is that attacking something? By saying that establishing our VFL men's team is far more important than a women's team.
Leave the social justice causes at the door, pal. We are here to win a MEN's premiership and should focus first and foremost on that. Any of these other peripheral issues - women's teams, the huddle etc. play second fiddle.

I actually agree with Jen on this one...

Lets see how viable the womens comp is in 2-3 years and then maybe dip the toes in.

The VFL team is the priority for the foreseeable future and the fact we have to install the team in Tassie makes me think the AFL can GAGF. They are pushing, we should push back.

Sorry how is that attacking something? By saying that establishing our VFL men's team is far more important than a women's team.
Leave the social justice causes at the door, pal. We are here to win a MEN's premiership and should focus first and foremost on that. Any of these other peripheral issues - women's teams, the huddle etc. play second fiddle.

Apologies, i thought I read a comment to Ryz saying 'anyone with half a brain". I re-read it and got it wrong. Completely apologise. It's been a rough week.

I do agree that the seniors side is the priority

So you're saying North should just focus on one team.

Perhaps they're not the only one who should take this advice.

I actually agree with Jen on this one...

Lets see how viable the womens comp is in 2-3 years and then maybe dip the toes in.

The VFL team is the priority for the foreseeable future and the fact we have to install the team in Tassie makes me think the AFL can GAGF. They are pushing, we should push back.
Thanks matey. Let's wait a few years and see if it's still living up to the hype of this season. Would be great to have a women's team in one day if the competition is a success, but in my humble opinion the competition as a whole is not yet ready for expansion. The talent just is not there yet and it serves minimal purpose in adding two more teams at this stage.

One thing I'd like to see brought in is shorter playing fields. This will hopefully boost the scoring. Us girls cannot kick the pill as far as the men and given the size of the ball is also reduced it makes further sense to me.

Thanks matey. Let's wait a few years and see if it's still living up to the hype of this season. Would be great to have a women's team in one day if the competition is a success, but in my humble opinion the competition as a whole is not yet ready for expansion. The talent just is not there yet and it serves minimal purpose in adding two more teams at this stage.

One thing I'd like to see brought in is shorter playing fields. This will hopefully boost the scoring. Us girls cannot kick the pill as far as the men and given the size of the ball is also reduced it makes further sense to me.

Agree :)

We wait we won't get.

Waiting and seeing is not always an option, sometimes you need to push to take opportunity when it presents itself. Sometimes opportunity doesn't come around again.

We have a broadly risk averse club. If the bean counters have done the math and are saying go for both, we should go for both. The more teams called North Melbourne the bigger our footprint, the better.

. Let's wait a few years and see if it's still living up to the hype of this season. Would be great to have a women's team in one day if the competition is a success, but in my humble opinion the competition as a whole is not yet ready for expansion. The talent just is not there yet and it serves minimal purpose in adding two more teams at this stage.

But that doesn't really matter now does it.

If the AFL are expanding it then they're expanding it.

Waiting and seeing serves little purpose if it's just going to happen without us.

If the womens league fails then it fails and the AFL will wear that more broadly than us.

If the women's league takes off and we miss the boat we wear that on our own.

We wait we won't get.

Waiting and seeing is not always an option, sometimes you need to push to take opportunity when it presents itself. Sometimes opportunity doesn't come around again.

We have a broadly risk averse club. If the bean counters have done the math and are saying go for both, we should go for both. The more teams called North Melbourne the bigger our footprint, the better.

Im not sure the womens comp will be as viable as it looks in the future. There is always a swell initially when new things come online.

How much is the AFL tipping in for us to have the team in Tassie? If we get a good following in Tassie, how long until the AFL is pushing for us to head down there? This wreaks of an agenda to me and i want nopart of it until the competition is found to be profit making and NMFC comes out and unequivocally states that we wont be playing anymore games in Hobart in the future.

But that doesn't really matter now does it.

If the AFL are expanding it then they're expanding it.

Waiting and seeing serves little purpose if it's just going to happen without us.

If the womens league fails then it fails and the AFL will wear that more broadly than us.

If the women's league takes off and we miss the boat we wear that on our own.

Tasmania isnt going anywhere lol

Who else is going to take up that post? This is just a sly avenue for the AFL to push more of our brand into a zone most supporters do not want to head into imo

I would have thought the VFL standalone team only enhances our ability to deliver the facilities required. A lot of the same requirements and we could use them twice a weekend and / or on alternating weeks if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back