News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry how is that attacking something? By saying that establishing our VFL men's team is far more important than a women's team.
Leave the social justice causes at the door, pal. We are here to win a MEN's premiership and should focus first and foremost on that. Any of these other peripheral issues - women's teams, the huddle etc. play second fiddle.
Jen - I agree that the priority is to win men's premierships.

Where I disagree is our approach. As it stands, North would seem to capture a disproportionately small number of unattached Victorian footy supporters. The older, more established teams capture the lion's share of publicity and hence interest, and hence any unattached supporters will likely give their allegiance to one of these clubs.

Like everyone else on this board, I want to grow our supporter base as much and as quickly as possible. We become more viable, and better able to fund the men's team. My fear, however, is that if we don't get a women's team, we're less likely to capture our share of unattached supporters. I feel that we take a short term financial hit if we build our own women's team, but that it would serve to strengthen our membership and supporters base.

AFLW expansion: Up to eight clubs could bid for spot in 2019 competition
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens...spot-in-2019-competition-20170604-gwk5ui.html

According to the article:
  • every team bar Sydney and Port will bid
  • it's unclear whether the competition will expand bu 2 or 4 teams
  • Geelong are regarded as a near certainty to get a licence, Richmond are very confident
  • and as we know, we're considering a joint bid with Tassie

AFLW expansion: Up to eight clubs could bid for spot in 2019 competition
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens...spot-in-2019-competition-20170604-gwk5ui.html

According to the article:
  • every team bar Sydney and Port will bid
  • it's unclear whether the competition will expand bu 2 or 4 teams
  • Geelong are regarded as a near certainty to get a licence, Richmond are very confident
  • and as we know, we're considering a joint bid with Tassie

We'll probably get an AFLW license somewhere around the time Tasmania gets a men's team of their own.

AFLW will introduce a tier 2 competition consisting of the following teams:

1) North Melbourne trading as Melbourne University (AFL club branding is contrary to the aims of AFLW Tier 2)

The AFLW Tier 2 competition will provide a development league to prepare players for the AFLW.

..hang on... this structure is already in place..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I generally wait until things happen to worry too much, but I am getting ready to feel sick and angry when those bastards up the road jump belatedly on the bandwagon and North gets shafted again.

Yep, I wouldn't bet at all on us getting in. Provisional license will mean jack.

As they spoke about it on 360 last night and rattled off the great teams and their amazing proposals, we were added on as an afterthought, "oh and North Melbourne, with Boomer and his daughter."

As they spoke about it on 360 last night and rattled off the great teams and their amazing proposals, we were added on as an afterthought, "oh and North Melbourne, with Boomer and his daughter."

Boomer will of course be a guest on AFL 360 tonight (Wednesday night) to (I presume) talk about North's AFLW bid.

Boomer can talk as much as he wants on it but the AFL will screw us again by giving the licences to Geelong and the Red and Black Drug Club

Disappointed in lack of catchy nickname for Geelong.

Disappointed in lack of catchy nickname for Geelong.

If you'd care to google for a bit of Irish slang you'll find out that Gee-long is actually already a catchy nickname - sadly in this case it could be argued that the name is indicative of a general support for a women's team from that part of the, er, area. :(

Boomer can talk as much as he wants on it but the AFL will screw us again by giving the licences to Geelong and the Red and Black Drug Club
Well Geelong does have an affiliation with handbags, so I suppose it is fair enough in their case.

I personally wouldn't watch it if they were playing in my front yard.

I suppose it will bring in some new supporters.

40 or so scantily clad young women playing in your front yard and you wouldn't at least open the curtain to take a peek? You've been in the monastery too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back