News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like the idea of the Tassie Kangaroos as it provides them with a unique identity and i reckon they will get strong support down there being called Tassie.

Further entrenches our membership tenticles in the Apple Isle and will also had corporate support for when the mens team play there.

Come at me flogs.

AFL Commission delays call on new AFLW licences

The AFL Commission and league bosses could not reach a resolution on the expansion of the AFL Women's competition at Tuesday's day-long board talks in Geelong and have put off a decision on the distribution of new licences until grand final week.

A robust two-hour debate broke up with chairman Richard Goyder and his commissioners instructing the AFL to do more work on the women's format after refusing to ratify a range of recommendations put forward by Gillon McLachlan and his football lieutenant Andrew Dillon. Eight AFL clubs, including five provisional licence-holders, face a nervous wait of a further five weeks before learning whether their clubs will be handed licences in time for the 2019 season.

The hot favourites are Geelong, West Coast and a hybrid North Melbourne-Tasmanian team, with Richmond and St Kilda also determined to convince the commission their submissions are compelling. The Kangaroos had tentative plans to fly to Tasmania this week and hold a joint announcement with premier Will Hodgman had their push been successful, but that has been placed on hold.

Gold Coast, led by new boss Mark Evans, have also heavily lobbied to join Brisbane as the second Queensland team, while Essendon and Hawthorn – which did not bid last time – have put forward strong cases.

The disputes yesterday centred not only on the number of clubs and which clubs deserved licences but also the structure of the competition once the league increased and whether the competition would be played in two conferences from 2019.

There were a wide range of different views at the meeting with some commissioners and executives concerned at pushing forward too fast for talent to develop while others were strongly of the view that the AFL – having brought forward the launch of the national league by several years – should continue to maintain its ambitious expansionist strategy.

Tuesday's talks marked the second time this season the commission has failed to accept a recommendation from its executive regarding the expansion of the AFLW. In May it instructed the AFL team to do more work on its proposal before capping the league at eight teams for another year.

Heard Xavier Campbell* on SEN by accident this morning. Before I switched it off, he said it wasn't fair if provisional license holders got an advantage this time, because when the first applications went in, Essendon was too busy dealing with "the CAS case" (that's what the rest of the world calls your doping/cheating scandal) so it's only ready to apply now.

Shameless.

Heard Xavier Campbell* on SEN by accident this morning. Before I switched it off, he said it wasn't fair if provisional license holders got an advantage this time, because when the first applications went in, Essendon was too busy dealing with "the CAS case" (that's what the rest of the world calls your doping/cheating scandal) so it's only ready to apply now.

Shameless.
Oh but it was fair to give it to the clubs who actually got in first, ahead of those who'd been doing the work that they seem to ignore? Maggot.

(Yeah I mean him. :p)

Shameless.
Care factor zero. The other clubs were not working on 'the CAS case' because didn't break the rules.

Shameless.

When your club is left out of the competition for the best part of 3 decades, and then when it is finally admitted, all recruiting zones are withheld... then come talk to us about what is fair.

I was wondering watching the SOO last night - as the initial group of clubs drafted the top players a year ago, and there has already been a trading season for those clubs and players, how does the next group get its lists?

They also mentioned thee was only one woman from Tasmania on the field last night, so that reinforces there's work to do building pathways there.

I was wondering watching the SOO last night - as the initial group of clubs drafted the top players a year ago, and there has already been a trading season for those clubs and players, how does the next group get its lists?

They also mentioned thee was only one woman from Tasmania on the field last night, so that reinforces there's work to do building pathways there.
How will they do it? No idea. How would I do it? Well you need to give the new clubs some access to top tier talent and I'd suggest using existing state league affiliations to do that. Say, give us the right to approach MUGARS players up to some maximum - maybe 4 or 5.

The next-deepest list is Melbourne University’s, which features Western Bulldogs marquee player Ellie Blackburn, priority picks Emma Kearney (Western Bulldogs), Kaitlyn Ashmore (Brisbane Lions) and Louise Stephenson (GWS Giants) — plus top-10 draft picks Nicola Stevens (Collingwood) and Deanna Berry (Melbourne).

Next you've got your academies. We're well placed with Wyndham and Tassie. So give us a free run at the best academy talent, no limits.

Last, and maybe the hardest sell to the existing clubs, force some really deep list cuts in expansion years so that some genuine best 22 types have to be redrafted.

Did I also hear them say there were 7 or 8 Melbourne Uni players playing in last night's game? Effectively our players dammit.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tasmania-set-to-get-afl-womens-team-20170926-gypcse.html

Tasmania set to get AFL Women's team
Caroline Wilson
A successful North Melbourne-Tasmania bid would see AFLW teams play in the Apple Isle in 2019. Photo: Adam Trafford/AFL Media
Tasmania looms as a big winner as the AFL prepares to expand the AFL Women's competition in readiness for 2019, with the long-neglected football state set to win a national licence in a joint bid with North Melbourne.

Geelong are the other hot favourite for a new licence after the commission reached a decision early on Monday. While the Cats remained unclear regarding their fate, the strength of the Geelong bid is understood to have enhanced the club's chances.

While head office has maintained its silence over the announcement scheduled for Wednesday, Fairfax Media understands the league could introduce as few as two new teams from 2019, with more clubs to be granted licences in 2020.

The AFL faces a strong backlash from a number of clubs should that be the case, with Richmond and St Kilda foreshadowing their strong disappointment after being left out of the inaugural eight-team AFLW and strongly pushing their cases after being granted provisional licences in 2016.

A successful North Melbourne-Tasmania bid would mean a hybrid team would play four games in each state with a view to ultimately developing enough talent in Tasmania to fill half the team with local players. At least two and potentially three young players are likely to be drafted into the women's team — more than are expected to be taken in the national AFL men's draft.

Negotiations continue between North and the Tasmanian Government over the naming of the new team, which looks likely to play as the Tasmanian Kangaroos.

West Coast was another strong contender and late on Tuesday remained in the dark as to their chances of a licence although that club has been the target of heavy lobbying from Fremantle. The Dockers share the view of most of the incumbent eight clubs that the AFL should hasten slowly in expansion due to the lack of available talent.

The Eagles look likely to be included by 2020 at the latest in the AFL's move to stagger the expansion and would come in next year should the commission introduce not two but four new clubs for 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tasmania-set-to-get-afl-womens-team-20170926-gypcse.html

Tasmania set to get AFL Women's team
Caroline Wilson
A successful North Melbourne-Tasmania bid would see AFLW teams play in the Apple Isle in 2019. Photo: Adam Trafford/AFL Media
Tasmania looms as a big winner as the AFL prepares to expand the AFL Women's competition in readiness for 2019, with the long-neglected football state set to win a national licence in a joint bid with North Melbourne.

Geelong are the other hot favourite for a new licence after the commission reached a decision early on Monday. While the Cats remained unclear regarding their fate, the strength of the Geelong bid is understood to have enhanced the club's chances.

While head office has maintained its silence over the announcement scheduled for Wednesday, Fairfax Media understands the league could introduce as few as two new teams from 2019, with more clubs to be granted licences in 2020.

The AFL faces a strong backlash from a number of clubs should that be the case, with Richmond and St Kilda foreshadowing their strong disappointment after being left out of the inaugural eight-team AFLW and strongly pushing their cases after being granted provisional licences in 2016.

A successful North Melbourne-Tasmania bid would mean a hybrid team would play four games in each state with a view to ultimately developing enough talent in Tasmania to fill half the team with local players. At least two and potentially three young players are likely to be drafted into the women's team — more than are expected to be taken in the national AFL men's draft.

Negotiations continue between North and the Tasmanian Government over the naming of the new team, which looks likely to play as the Tasmanian Kangaroos.

West Coast was another strong contender and late on Tuesday remained in the dark as to their chances of a licence although that club has been the target of heavy lobbying from Fremantle. The Dockers share the view of most of the incumbent eight clubs that the AFL should hasten slowly in expansion due to the lack of available talent.

The Eagles look likely to be included by 2020 at the latest in the AFL's move to stagger the expansion and would come in next year should the commission introduce not two but four new clubs for 2019.

Dislike all but the name. If it was North Melbourne and they played half the games in Tassie that'd be ok. The name damages our brand

Dislike all but the name. If it was North Melbourne and they played half the games in Tassie that'd be ok. The name damages our brand
I tend to agree.

I feel we were too desperate - we have just as much if not more right than the the dogs as a smaller club to get a full team.

What is the future here? This isn't a North Melbourne team. Does this perhaps ensure that we never actually have a North Melbourne women's team?

I think this kind of move is something that the members ought to have a voice in. Not happy.

Delighted and proud if we have an AFLW team and can't wait to watch them.

Not delighted if that is the name, but when it is described as a JV between Tasmania and North Melbourne that sounds good. It's all in how it is framed. We are a strong enough club to do this.

If the Tassie connection is necessary to get the women's team up, then I'm all for it. Let's face it, the AFL would screw us over if we didn't bring something unique to the table. As someone else said, to have three NMFC teams running around two years from now would be amazing.

Delighted and proud if we have an AFLW team and can't wait to watch them.

Not delighted if that is the name, but when it is described as a JV between Tasmania and North Melbourne that sounds good. It's all in how it is framed. We are a strong enough club to do this.

This is a win for the sport and women's participation and maybe even for North politically and potentially financially for all I know but as many have said ....

Without 'North Melbourne' , it's not a team I can follow, it's just another team playing footy...

My fear is that the AFL's agenda is for North Melbourne to become the hybrid Tasmanian team, and that the women's team, if it's confirmed, and the academy are strong pointers in that direction.

If the AFL tries to coerce North Melbourne to become a Tasmanian team when the current Tasmanian contract ends, will the club be in a sufficiently strong financial position to refuse, and to thrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back