North Melbourne's salary cap?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
Where are they getting the money to sign Gaff, Hall, Polec, Nic Newman and Finlayson this year and Josh Kelly next year?

Some absolutely magical cap management, given they already have a fair amount of star power on their list like Ben Brown, Ziebull, Cunnington etc.

Where are they getting the money to sign Gaff, Hall, Polec, Nic Newman and Finlayson this year and Josh Kelly next year?

Some absolutely magical cap management, given they already have a fair amount of star power on their list like Ben Brown, Ziebull, Cunnington etc.

Billy Hartung was on 4 million per year.

• Banned
Its called banking the front end contracts. Same reason why we can affford lynch.
Yeah but you are bringing in Lynch. 1 player.

Not planning on 2x 1 million+ players, 700k+ Polec and a heap of mid range talent.

I don't suspect dodginess but it's one of the more bizarre and massive intakes in recent memory.

Easy 95 percent of the salary cap is 1.2 million less. Throw in pruess 350 odd

Gaff eats up say 900k
Polec 750
Newman an hall just take the delisted players wage.

No room for Kelly but with goldy wanting the coin

• Banned

Gaff eats up say 900k
Polec 750

Gaff has been offered 1.2 million?

Then Kelly allegedly being offered similar for 2020 on.

Rumours are that we front loaded 2yr ago around $2.5 million , we then had enough room last year to pay dusty 2 million/kelly 1.5. No one came for the money. My understanding is north has front loaded around 6 million dollars over the last 2 yrs and still have the money for kelly going forward. If you read the story on gaff/Polec. Gaff will earn around 2 million next yr with Polec at 1 plus, again frontloading.

Rumours are that we front loaded 2yr ago around $2.5 million , we then had enough room last year to pay dusty 2 million/kelly 1.5. No one came for the money. My understanding is north has front loaded around 6 million dollars over the last 2 yrs and still have the money for kelly going forward. If you read the story on gaff/Polec. Gaff will earn around 2 million next yr with Polec at 1 plus, again frontloading.
Wouldn't NM be close to the cap floor then?

Gaff eats up say 900k
Polec 750

Actually 95% of cap is about $600,000 not 1.2m, Front ended contracts and they wouldn't be paying many on big money, probably have to squeeze out a few mid tier players to get Kelly next year.

Actually 95% of cap is about $600,000 not 1.2m, Front ended contracts and they wouldn't be paying many on big money, probably have to squeeze out a few mid tier players to get Kelly next year.

Huh how did you arrive at 600 grand? If the cap is 12 million lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought you could only pay 105% if you have saved for 2 years or prorate to 95% over two year period, could be my bad as its a rule not being explored properly by myself.

I would imagine they have alot of free space this year so Gaff might be averaging 1 million a year over the course of the deal but will be on something like 1.5 for the first year

Yeah but you are bringing in Lynch. 1 player.

Not planning on 2x 1 million+ players, 700k+ Polec and a heap of mid range talent.

I don't suspect dodginess but it's one of the more bizarre and massive intakes in recent memory.

All of our mining magnate coterie members lined up with business ventures and investments that the players couldn't resist.

Dont you have to fill 95% of the seasons cap in a given year aswell.

I just sent see how they have all this money to offer and all their contracta front loaded. Theyve lost Waite who on trade radio suspected to be on 300k last year

Dont you have to fill 95% of the seasons cap in a given year aswell.

I just sent see how they have all this money to offer and all their contracta front loaded. Theyve lost Waite who on trade radio suspected to be on 300k last year
I don’t think it’s hard. If for example we offer Brown 3 mill over 4 years. We miss dusty and Kelly last year so re-structure the contract to pay him 1.5 mill this year reducing his payments to 1.5 over 3. Instead on 750k a year he is now down to 500k.

As soon as we missed those 2 players we would have done this with a few contracts - getting us to 95% and then opening up more cash to go again this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back