Prediction North new game plan

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We lost today and arguably should have won as we blew so many opportunities.

However.

The game plan on Noble is clear and we want to defend, run and counter - through the corridor if possible but clearly Noble wants running players.

I found today very exciting for our future.

We still definitely need to improve on our kick out structure, but Noble can't fix that immediately.

Our skill level will only improve as we bring in talent.

My prediction? We are on the right track.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
Stevo yes.

Hall also gives drive when he's in form.

Aggressive - as I'm over the defending to not lose (and lose anyway)

Noble wants this team attacking
I enjoyed the way we switched the ball and used the wings to spread in the 3rd Quarter. I also think Tom Powell is an absolute jet.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
To be fair, Noble would have been expecting Corr, Tarrant and McDonald to be taking many intercept marks and driving out of the backline.

We saw McKay being aggressive and winning the ball an CHB today.

It makes a huge difference where you win the ball back.

Easier to defend, easier to launch attacks, easier to gain territory.

We have undersized guys trying to punch and then going to ground, even when they aren't out bodied this year.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I enjoyed the way we switched the ball and used the wings to spread in the 3rd Quarter. I also think Tom Powell is an absolute jet.

Amazingly (not really) players like Thomas are free if we move it quick.

The stagnant game plan of recent years I'm just so happy Noble wants to do it differently - put our best that our out and I'm confident we win today comfortably.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We need to be hard at contest, quick and hit targets.

Do that like we did at times we'll rise quickly.

hcd199

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Waterford GAA, Glenorchy, Hob (BBL)
The challenge for Noble will be the same one that lingered throughout Scott's tenure as coach, never fully overcome - it's all well and good to move the ball "excitingly" and "aggressively" when you've got it, but what's your plan for when the other side end up with possession? How do you prevent the easy transition?

A good gameplan balances attacking flair with defensive grunt, and whilst it's fine to lean more on one than the other to make it a focal point in a rebuild, we won't be able to rely solely on speedy counterattack and fast ball movement. We saw today, despite squandering many of our chances, that being up for the contest and willing to apply pressure can go a long way to resolving the defensive issues our approach can open up - so the question then is, how do we ensure we can bring that level of effort more often, and across all four quarters rather than only for some of the game? One of those 'time will tell' situations, but while some signs are encouraging even with our limited ability to actually execute this gameplan, I'm wary of heaping too much praise on an approach that's so far led only to fairly sizeable defeats...

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Excellent post hcd199

Give Noble time to address the other side of attacking too?

I for one loved our run (knowing how undermanned we are) but still showed signs of a positive game plan.

Against a team that is going pretty well.

northbergs

All Australian
Dec 24, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hard to get a gauge on where Adelaide are at. Despite the result and the opposition’s quality, today there were signs that things are starting to come together, particularly with our ball movement on the rebound.

This year should be seen as one big training session to refine and build confidence in the attacking game plan, whilst also working on defensive structures and shape. Immediate focus should also be on forward presentation and delivery when we’re controlling the forward half and repeat inside 50s. And above all else, sustained effort is required which will give more opportunity to practice the game plan, and negate opposition run-ons.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The challenge for Noble will be the same one that lingered throughout Scott's tenure as coach, never fully overcome - it's all well and good to move the ball "excitingly" and "aggressively" when you've got it, but what's your plan for when the other side end up with possession? How do you prevent the easy transition?

A good gameplan balances attacking flair with defensive grunt, and whilst it's fine to lean more on one than the other to make it a focal point in a rebuild, we won't be able to rely solely on speedy counterattack and fast ball movement. We saw today, despite squandering many of our chances, that being up for the contest and willing to apply pressure can go a long way to resolving the defensive issues our approach can open up - so the question then is, how do we ensure we can bring that level of effort more often, and across all four quarters rather than only for some of the game? One of those 'time will tell' situations, but while some signs are encouraging even with our limited ability to actually execute this gameplan, I'm wary of heaping too much praise on an approach that's so far led only to fairly sizeable defeats...

“It’s an easy fix” (c)

I like that the team’s first instinct seems to be to attack and take the game on even though we’re not good at it at the moment and we end up getting caught quite a bit on the counter as a result. I’d rather play this way and lose than play a dour defensive, stoppage shitshow style and lose in any case.

The worry is the forward line is the worst I’ve seen in AFL in many years and hardly anyone in reserves that can change this

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ive been screaming for quality ball users off half back for almost half a decade on this miserable website. We still need 2 x Quality users of the footy off half back. Bonar is working and may be 1 of them. I really like his endeavour, potential. Lachie Young is a Pocket. I also rated his effort after coming on (did not watch the last Q). We need to address the half backs, one wing position and another key forward as an immediate necessity...

edit: Atley is not a half backs bunghole. Never has been. Why he is there is beyond me. Try him else where Mr Noble, he only had a few games left before he is thrown out the door

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Going to be hard to run n gun at the narrow cattery in the dew on a cold winters night. Will be a real test.
I reckon we’ll see Will Phillips as a pig in s**t! He will grab that jumper and will have a standout game. I can see the Rowell comparison. He was as casual as all * on the outside of the boot slotting that goal. Very very impressed.. looking forward to watch him feed it to powell then feed it to charlie.. impressive trio. Very good recruiting. Never once have I acknowledged thw recruitment, these 3 are very very good players.. kudos

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Love the new game plan.

We are exciting and a work in progress.
Its based on win it in defence. They’re content in losing the ball yet confident in turning it into a formidable attack. I like it. Its the way the games played. What I do not like is seeing a paddock my 15 steers could enjoy a pasture and we chipping it short on a kick in..

edit: with Tarrant in our D50 ... wow wee ... I can see a heap of rebounds. The campaigners better than Rance... he’s been the best KPD the last 5 or so years.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hows about this... a Barrel game plan. Rush footy is what has won flags. In a kick out, why not Barrel the footy into space and rush it? You can have the ball at worst case half forward throw in?

it smashes zones, its unpredictable, its a game changer...

The Barrel is back

spicer... RUN campaigner

its almost Pagans Paddock

all you need to do is barrel it 60+ and its a return goal with a pacey bloke on the end of it.

this is how cooked they are making our game

Back