North releases Harvey, Dal Santo, Petrie and Firrito

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely deserved another year on form which I thought was pretty much the main reason (form or lack there of) why you'd either be delisted or get another contract. He makes North better plain and simple. This guy just had 30 touches an kicked 3 last week against a top 2 team. Man NMFC are just a ******* joke of a club hey. You reckon prospective players would like to be traded/drafted to a club which just delists their greatest player (very much in form and wanting another year) since Carey like a chump? The next ''Dal Santo'' or whatever decent player this club wants is going to take one look at the roos and go ''**** dat s**t, straight up''.
I respectfully disagree with most of your points. We don't truly know what happened behind closed doors and the club was honest with him. Trade prospects will respect the fact we were honest, especially about our club's direction.

Absolutely deserved another year on form which I thought was pretty much the main reason (form or lack there of) why you'd either be delisted or get another contract. He makes North better plain and simple. This guy just had 30 touches an kicked 3 last week against a top 2 team. Man NMFC are just a ******* joke of a club hey. You reckon prospective players would like to be traded/drafted to a club which just delists their greatest player (very much in form and wanting another year) since Carey like a chump? The next ''Dal Santo'' or whatever decent player this club wants is going to take one look at the roos and go ''**** dat s**t, straight up''.
Why is it the Swans game the go to game yet the Hawks game the week before ignored? He was great V the Swans and terrible V the Hawks. I think he could have played 1 one year but what happens if he wanted to go again in 2018? We are in the same boat and the fake outrage would start again.

The oldest list in the last 80 years got rid of the oldest player on the list. After the 2nd half of the year the cull had to happen. Sad to see him go but we need to go in another direction. Only time will tell if it hurts our recruiting but players still went to the Eagles after what has come out about the drug culture that was rife throughout a club. Not sure end a 38 year olds career is a club killer.

This was posted a few pages back.

We won't know until next year - we have not been forced to play our kids.

2015 - Clarke has shown a bit, Mckay, Hibberd, Wagner, Mountford all unknown.

Our 2014 draftee's all got season ending injuries in 2015 - Sam Durdin pick 16, Dan Nielson pick 25 and ed Vickers Willis pick 36. This is really their 1st full year. Preuss looks like a decent long term ruck.

2013 - McDonald was having a great year before injury after coming off a poor 2nd year. 3rd in the Rising star shows he can play. Dumont 30 has shown a bit, Ben Brown has been good.

2012 - Garner has looked good but we need to get on top of his soft tissue injuries, Jacobs has been a great tagger - thepremier tagger in the comp - will be big for us next year. Manson Wood is very exciting.

Who knows which will step up and fill the holes. We also have a lot of free salary cap space. Things can turn quickly. But this is big footy - Norf have no good kids - dey stuffed for the next decade.
Not many impressive names in that list to be honest. Where is North's next star coming from? Brown is good but hardly young. Wood could be it.

All the others listed, most teams would have a similar number of kids, if not more so, that are just as promising.

Not many impressive names in that list to be honest. Where is North's next star coming from? Brown is good but hardly young. Wood could be it.

All the others listed, most teams would have a similar number of kids just as promising.
We will see next year. Exciting times. A couple have an immediate impact, a couple break out and a couple have decent improvement and we are on the way. Also freeing up a decent amount of cash can make us active this trade period.

Why is it the Swans game the go to game yet the Hawks game the week before ignored? He was great V the Swans and terrible V the Hawks. I think he could have played 1 one year but what happens if he wanted to go again in 2018? We are in the same boat and the fake outrage would start again.

The oldest list in the last 80 years got rid of the oldest player on the list. After the 2nd half of the year the cull had to happen. Sad to see him go but we need to go in another direction. Only time will tell if it hurts our recruiting but players still went to the Eagles after what has come out about the drug culture that was rife throughout a club. Not sure end a 38 year olds career is a club killer.

You guys watch him every week so you'd have a much larger understanding than me fair point i didn't see the hawks game. I'm heated at the moment i guess and apparently dont care much for Harvey :rolleyes: but a great is a great and he deserves more than this surely? My point is, if i have one, hes in another class to the other 3 delisted, 100%. Yet gets the same treatment.

To be fair the club did allow him to finish off on the right side of the all-times-game-record, they could have pulled the pin before then but enabled him to play it out.

Its strange that on the one hand North have shown as much fairness to Boomer than any other player in the history of the game by giving him a spot on their list for 20 straight years, but all of a sudden have now been too business like by showing him the door.

North's age bracket mean they're more suseptible to fall off a cliff as drastically as Freo have, they made the right call call on Dal, Petrie, Spud and Boomer.

To be fair the club did allow him to finish off on the right side of the all-times-game-record, they could have pulled the pin before then but enabled him to play it out.

Its strange that on the one hand North have shown as much fairness to Boomer than any other player in the history of the game by giving him a spot on their list for 20 straight years, but all of a sudden have now been too business like by showing him the door.

North's age bracket mean they're more suseptible to fall off a cliff as drastically as Freo have, they made the right call call on Dal, Petrie, Spud and Boomer.

He likely would have finished up last year if not for the publicity and $$$ to be made from the games record being broken.

We will see next year. Exciting times. A couple have an immediate impact, a couple break out and a couple have decent improvement and we are on the way. Also freeing up a decent amount of cash can make us active this trade period.
Mate. Wake up. Your 'exciting times' were the last few seasons and right now. I sincerely hope you enjoyed them and can go deep into finals this year.

All the others listed, most teams would have a similar number of kids, if not more so, that are just as promising.

Names don't win games of football.

Mate. Wake up. Your 'exciting times' were the last few seasons and right now. I sincerely hope you enjoyed them and can go deep into finals this year.
Dont ruin his buzz.

If he is excited by the idea of a full and long rebuild, let him enjoy it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talent does, and usually they have something that we use to identify them.. cant remember what that term is, its on the tip of my tongue.

Unproven talent doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

^^^ Yepp.
That's the silly part.
The coach should be the expendable one. Especially when his plans fall flat.

I don't remember a time when coaches had this much job security.

It aint supposed to be that way. Scott isn't the only one of course, but when did it become a job where you can make multiple excuses and apportion the blame to the list, rather than your own decisions ?

5 years is a historically long time to be coaching any club at AFL level when there's nothing to show for it.

No club should accept a commitment from a coach to be worse next season. That s**t just doesn't wash anymore.
Consecutive preliminary finals should buy some grace - it's better than what most current coaches have achieved with their clubs (behind only Clarkson, Longmire, Chris Scott) and level with ross

So you got no excitement out of watching Tippa and a few other kids you have never seen at afl level? Watching some kids get a decent run and doing well?

It's a different excitement than winning finals - which is awesome.

Poor on Norths behalf but we dont know the exact circumstances so...at least it wasnt my club.

Does your club have a lot of "names"? Your club has made 3 elimination finals since 2004 and has lost all three, anyone who has a name isn't deserving of it.

At my club results means more than having a high profile. Will or will not our young kids make it? Who knows, but you need to have a pathway, too often in recent years some of the kids have show good form and there were not enough opportunities for them to get games in the AFL side. A coach is always going to prefer playing a proven performer ahead of a inexperienced kid if winning is his objective.

Ben brown is hardly young, he is 1 year older than Daniher but has played fewer games due to him missing out being drafted due to injuries. He kicks more goals than Daniher, he is a more accurate kick yet I am sure Daniher has a name and Brown doesn't.

You can keep the underperforming high profiles. I'd rather we end up with better players with a lower profile.

North had been going the mature age recruit top up and try snag a flag approach for the past 2 years. I don't know why they couldn't keep pursuing that with atleast boomer and dal, plus another couple of recruits for next year. instead they have aborted mission after a couple of seasons. They've now got no hope in hell of finals until atleast 2019 in my opinion anyway. If they had decided to rebuild/regenerate 2 years ago they would have already had games into kids and be on par with the saints and Dees by now.

Agree with most here in that the 3 non boomer axings make sense, Boomer being one of them is just stupid, why would you get rid of one of your best players when he's still playing at about the same standard as he always has?

I couldn't care if a player was 28,38 or 108, if he is a gun, he stays.

Saying he won't be around for the next time they contend, wouldn't of they thought that 5 years ago?

From what I've seen I think he would comfortably have another 2 seasons in him. And if he was still performing at 40, I would keep him going then too.

There isn't an age limit for an AFL player, he's just a rare freak who has been able to keep going, so you can't judge him by other's standards of when most players are finished.

Very, very ordinary "grilling" of Brayshaw on the Footy Show.

Might as well put it straight onto the NM propaganda website.

Why bother? Sammy almost apologised to him for asking the questions?!?

Didn't watch but let me guess. Did they say that 'the team is more important than the individual' over and over and ******* over?

Does your club have a lot of "names"? Your club has made 3 elimination finals since 2004 and has lost all three, anyone who has a name isn't deserving of it.

At my club results means more than having a high profile. Will or will not our young kids make it? Who knows, but you need to have a pathway, too often in recent years some of the kids have show good form and there were not enough opportunities for them to get games in the AFL side. A coach is always going to prefer playing a proven performer ahead of a inexperienced kid if winning is his objective.

Ben brown is hardly young, he is 1 year older than Daniher but has played fewer games due to him missing out being drafted due to injuries. He kicks more goals than Daniher, he is a more accurate kick yet I am sure Daniher has a name and Brown doesn't.

You can keep the underperforming high profiles. I'd rather we end up with better players with a lower profile.
Underperforming? We're going to have a 3rd year player make the AA squad. A first year player finish top 3 in the Rising Star. Not sure what Essendon even has to do with the conversation to be honest, but I'm happy with how our 22 and under players are tracking.

Also, don't pretend North have been a massively successful club over the past 5 years and that's why you haven't blooded much young talent. Well done on finding your way into 2 Prelims, but North's highest finish at the conclusion of a H&A season in the last 8 years is 6th... and you've endured some absolute pummellings in finals during that time too. North have been a good-average team in recent years but nothing more.

I think you've taken the "names" comment a bit literally. I'm not talking names as in high profile players... I'm talking names as in players that have shown they'll be the next crop of youngsters to keep North's team afloat for the next decade. Most of the rookies that North supporters are listing as your next crop of best 22 talent have yet to even debut - Durdin, Vickers-Willis, McKay, Hibberd, Mountford, Nielson. Every club has these types of players, and a lot of them don't make the grade. Others have made their debut but have been injured/not shown enough to form an opinion either way, like Clarke, Turner, Wagner, Garner and Anderson (who's looked fairly ordinary in the few games he's played for North).

Brown is about to turn 24; in the AFL world, he's half way through his career. Wood does look good, and McDonald will probably be good as well. But where is your "Merrett"? Your "Cripps"? Your "Petracca? A bonafide young star to build your club around? I don't see one.

You failed in your premiership pursuit and have now admitted (with the retiring of Boomer, Dal Santo and Petrie) that you need to reset. In my opinion North are in for a big fall. You went backwards this year and things will only get worse as more of the old stars you've previously relied on start to call it quits (Wells, Waite and Thompson are next).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back