North supporters are the staunchest!

Remove this Banner Ad

Always ahead of the curve, we’re the first football team to invest in AI...
so many bots on here :sick:
The Arden Street botnet... Dominating the social media landscape and crypto mining...

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I think the people who say they support them is huge, I don’t know how many have an interest in them.

In my circle I know one person who is a keen Storm fan. The rest of us would say we are, but couldn’t say where they are on the ladder right now and how many wins they have.

Yeah this is pretty right.

I know plenty of Swans supporters too. More than any other club around here. (North and Pies are the next two most popular then * in my circles in NSW.) Over half of them played real footy as kids tho, instead of or as well as league, and one of the local towns round here - Kyogle population 2700ish - actually had four kids in the state team a bit over a decade ago. The rest support the Swans cos they are all from NSW.

Lismore has a Swans side (one of their senior players was a member here on this board when I joined,) and they've had juniors for nearly 20 years. When I coached juniors there most of the kids supported the Swans by default. A few already had sides they supported because of family or connections to Aussie Rules states but most jumped on board the Swans band wagon and many are still loyal Swans supporters.

But there isn't the same culture of membership around them that there is around teams down south.

If the swans launched a membership drive, especially an out of town one for country kids in areas with afl comps - some games a year or entry at a cheap price with some bells and whistles - then they would be able to push their membership into six figures. But the swans used to be owned by some dodgy "Doctor" campaigner. Membership ... and the associated "ownership" of an AFL club that it provides supporters with isn't something the people of NSW associate with themselves as much as Melbourne people do.

The AFL would be well advised to give kids in Western Sydney Giants memberships for free for a few years and pump some money into PR and turning the club from a franchise into something kids in that endless shitful sprawl can be a part of. They'd already be doing it if the mob running them had any idea.

Yeah follow up question (to which the Swans would rank <1%) ... can you name more than one player from the team you claim to support?

At least three quarters of the Swans supporters I know could name more than just Buddy. And Adam Goodes and Jedda. Who left.

And most of them really have no idea about the game.

Checked out this poll a few years back and found that you could name multiple teams. The Morgan poll is more about establishing team awareness for advertisers than it is about actual team supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back