The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
In the 96 premiership half a dozen players could have won the norm smith. Everyone remembers archer, McKernan, Schwass, Carey, and king, not to mention Laidleys bravery backing into Lockett, but Glenn Freeborn’s 3 goals in the second quarter is what really turned the momentum of that game. While he only played 50 odd games and wouldn’t say underrated from a career perspective, I think his performance on the big stage that day is worthy of a mention as underrated. Also remember Carey saying in an interview “freo” was crying before the game from nerves.

He wasn't that quick but he was unstoppable once he got a run on.
He was fast once he was moving. More a bit like Maj, size and momentum once he hits pace than quick.

That role, in that side with the fast attacking play and open forward line, really suited him.

Always looked overweight and slow, but was really neither. A very smart footballer with an excellent football brain. One of my faves of the era.

I'm surprised how athletic he looked in that vid from '93. But I always am whenever I see him play.

Was he a bit overweight when he started with us and really came into his own after working hard to lose some?

I'm surprised how athletic he looked in that vid from '93. But I always am whenever I see him play.

Was he a bit overweight when he started with us and really came into his own after working hard to lose some?
Always hard to judge. Just never looked like a footballer but delivered. Loved watching Fridge. Very smart player.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Here’s a player attribute I never recognised until rewatching a 90s game recently - Mick Martyn’s ground ball skills.

Never realised often he got loose in games and scooped balls at full tilt before a characteristic “this is someone else’s problem now” kick to clear the danger.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In the 96 premiership half a dozen players could have won the norm smith. Everyone remembers archer, McKernan, Schwass, Carey, and king, not to mention Laidleys bravery backing into Lockett, but Glenn Freeborn’s 3 goals in the second quarter is what really turned the momentum of that game. While he only played 50 odd games and wouldn’t say underrated from a career perspective, I think his performance on the big stage that day is worthy of a mention as underrated. Also remember Carey saying in an interview “freo” was crying before the game from nerves.

I thought at the time and still do after watching many times that Anthony Rock was BOG that day. I agree that it was a fairly even performance and you could make an argument for several players to take home the Norm.
That 10 minutes from Freeborn is the clear highlight from mine. They were 4 goals up with all the momentum. It’s honestly in my opinion the most important period of a game in my life time. If Archer had of nailed that goal seconds before half time, the joint would have erupted.

F**k I love this club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I think it was the commentator Robbo who said he’d gone from the fridge to the esky, after he’d lost some weight

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Corey Jones - A very large but rarely acknowledged reason why our 2007 season went from toilet cake to contender - and who knows how much that saved our necks in the end?

Anyone know why he didn't play in our semi and preliminary finals? Injured or dropped? I can't remember. Kicked only six goals from his last six games in 2007.

dogboy

Team Captain
Aug 2, 2001
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Ascot CC, Liverpool, East Perth
Thought Corey Jones was fantastic and the memory of the goal in Sydney after the last quarter comeback for Arch will never be forgotten. If that was Eddie Betts we would still be seeing it today on every AFL intro. Much in the same space I reckon Glenn Freeborn was pretty good for us before heading to Collingwood too.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So glad we phased out people like Robbo and Sandy for new blood like Basil and "Darc".
I’m with you (sarcasm included). It’s a breath of fresh air to watch an old footy DVD from the 90’s, not only were we great to watch, the commentary was entertaining and about the game only.

desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
Lured away by the Dees with a $100k a year contract
I recall reading that after Blighty's difficult time as Captain Coach in '81 that he would only re sign to play in '82 if certain players were cleared out given their efforts or lack thereof.

I presume Wilson was one of those.

Blighty kicked a hundred and Wilson won the Brownlow....

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Had a good read of this thread. If I had to pick it would be Daryl Sutton. 184cm who could play key positions forward or back. Remember him mostly as a defender but I recall him being a super set shot. 90goals 45behinds backs this up.

I was there the day he played at one end of the ground for an entire match (full back/fullforward) and kicked goals.

He singlehandedly dragged us in to the 1976 grand final in the prelim v Carlton (North by 1 point, Sutton kicked 5 of North's 10 goals).

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was there the day he played at one end of the ground for an entire match (full back/fullforward) and kicked goals.

He singlehandedly dragged us in to the 1976 grand final in the prelim v Carlton (North by 1 point, Sutton kicked 5 of North's 10 goals).

Great footage there Snake. Finished with Blight in the last line of defence and Sutton and Cowton in the forward line. Barassi at his best.

I remember that performance by Sutton well. Undersized but had great hands and a good leap on him.

The umps tried hard to get Carlton over the line with those soft frees to Walls. He looked 50yo when he was playing too.

Jan 30, 2004
bentleigh
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawthorn
Ross Smith is massively underrated. How he doesn't get a mention in the Heroes chapter of The Shinboners is beyond me.

Matty Armstrong and Jess Sinclair fly under the radar more than they should.

Corey McKernan is underrated in a legend of the game sense. NicNat, Gawn and co. are not half as good as him but get fawned over something shocking.

Dermott reckons Ross Smith was as difficult an opponent as he ever played on. Tough as nails and a really smart player.

I used to say that if Corey Jones played against Hawthorn for a living he would be a Hall of famer. Got hold of us many times.

osaka mick

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton, 76s, Canucks
A lot of great names mentioned. I want to mention a few of my own. Some already mentioned, and some new ones. These are in no particular order, just as they come to mind.

Brett Allison... Fruity was vastly underrated for most of his career. A very smart forward.
Ian Fairly ... A great CHB for North, and premiership (goal kicker...his last kick in the AFL) player.

Corey McKernan ... He should not be underrated, because he should be a Brownlow and Rising Star winner. I read earlier that he was better than NicNat and Gawn, and it is hard to disagree. He was an absolute gun. I remember watching him in the early 90s tear up the reserve games (when they used to play them before the main games at the G). He did the same two years later in the seniors, alongside Carey, and Co.

Anthony Rock, Wayne Schwass and to a lesser extent Peter German ... were superstars.

Craig Sholl ... so vital in our 96 premiership year.

Mark "the Fridge" Roberts ... destroyed teams with his versatility.

John Law ... Solid in defence all years he played.

Anthony Stevens ... no matter how much applause he gets, he will be underrated in my book. One of the best all time North players.

Jim and Phil Krakouer ... I know they are rated highly, but not high enough in my estimation. Jim should have been a Brownlow winner, and Phil was the equal of Betts and Cameron.

Kym Hodgeman ... I just remember loving his play as a youngster.

Roy Ramsey ... as above

Ross Smith ...been mentioned before, and along with Ian fairly, vastly underrated

Rawlings ... Was the best lockdown player for years. Won a few B&Fs to prove it.

Nathan Grima ... Was the equal of Thompson IMO for a while, but cruelled by injuries

Lindsay Thomas ... more known for missing shots on goal, rather than the elite pressure and goals he did kick.

I have a list of overrated players in my mind too, but wont start any negativity.

Current underrated players ... Tarrant, Goldstein (2-3 years ago), Cunnington (recognised internally, but not externally), Ben Brown (how the * has he missed AA for the past 3 years running...1. to J Daniher (LOL), and last year two years to whoever came 3rd or 4th in goal kicking.....

A lot of great names mentioned. I want to mention a few of my own. Some already mentioned, and some new ones. These are in no particular order, just as they come to mind.

Brett Allison... Fruity was vastly underrated for most of his career. A very smart forward.
Ian Fairly ... A great CHB for North, and premiership (goal kicker...his last kick in the AFL) player.

Corey McKernan ... He should not be underrated, because he should be a Brownlow and Rising Star winner. I read earlier that he was better than NicNat and Gawn, and it is hard to disagree. He was an absolute gun. I remember watching him in the early 90s tear up the reserve games (when they used to play them before the main games at the G). He did the same two years later in the seniors, alongside Carey, and Co.

Anthony Rock, Wayne Schwass and to a lesser extent Peter German ... were superstars.

Anthony Stevens ... no matter how much applause he gets, he will be underrated in my book. One of the best all time North players.

Jim and Phil Krakouer ... I know they are rated highly, but not high enough in my estimation. Jim should have been a Brownlow winner, and Phil was the equal of Betts and Cameron.

Roy Ramsey ... as above

Ross Smith ...been mentioned before, and along with Ian fairly, vastly underrated

Rawlings ... Was the best lockdown player for years. Won a few B&Fs to prove it.

Nathan Grima ... Was the equal of Thompson IMO for a while, but cruelled by injuries

Lindsay Thomas ... more known for missing shots on goal, rather than the elite pressure and goals he did kick.

I have a list of overrated players in my mind too, but wont start any negativity.

Current underrated players ... Tarrant, Goldstein (2-3 years ago), Cunnington (recognised internally, but not externally), Ben Brown (how the **** has he missed AA for the past 3 years running...1. to J Daniher (LOL), and last year two years to whoever came 3rd or 4th in goal kicking.....
Can't challenge any of that Mick.

Roy Ramsey ... as above

Current underrated players ... Tarrant, Goldstein (2-3 years ago), Cunnington (recognised internally, but not externally), Ben Brown (how the **** has he missed AA for the past 3 years running...1. to J Daniher (LOL), and last year two years to whoever came 3rd or 4th in goal kicking.....

Jim and Phil changed the game, for the better.

The way they used space and knew each others games.

I reckon Pagan watched them and tried to bring what they did to what he taught his kids and eventually that became the paddock and that brutal attacking footy we played in the 90s.

Everything in footy since then has been a reaction to Pagans paddock and ultimately Jim and Phil. Until the dogs and tigers.

Which is another attacking form of footy. Not as good to watch tho.

Back