Review North team of underrated players 1970 to 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with pretty much every nomination thus far.

For mine-

Corey Jones - never miss a chance to talk this bloke up. If he was at a high profile club he'd have been proclaimed a star. Got his head bandaged every 2nd game from a fearless approach but had the nouse to kick matchwinning goals (hello Sydney) and 7 in a game not once, but twice. Got near on 40 touches playing loose in defence. Not bad for a career HFF. A very large but rarely acknowledged reason why our 2007 season went from toilet cake to contender - and who knows how much that saved our necks in the end?

Corey McKernan - Nutjob summed it up pretty well. Like Carey, while he appeared impressive in highlights, watching these guys live was something else. 1996 was just magical, turning up every week with better than even chance of watching one or both of them turn a game on its head with brutality, power and skill. People might forget the AA team that year - Corey was nominated for ruck but also CHF up against Carey. Just a gun who did his best work in finals and crunch games. I felt for opposition supporters knowing that if big Corey had that angry look and clunked one early - their side was likely in for a torrid night.

Michael Firrito - outside of hardened north supporters this bloke is probably underappreciated. Played a consistent level in both weak and strong north sides. Players as tough as Ziebell acknowledged walking taller and talking on their opponents when they knew they had this guy for support. A strong mark, hoofing kick and assertive mindset in defence. After seeing a few physically weaker young players coming into the club it was a pleasure to watch this bull rookie emerge within his 1st season.

Leigh Harding - another who I talk up often and feel doesn't get appreciated enough. Another rookie who bucked the trend of middling draftees and debuted with a screamer and goal against the eventual premier (Brisbane) to announce his career. Had lightning pace in his early years and though he could be wayward was a handful, constantly creating chaos. Lacked nothing in courage and returning from a knee injury played some very good footy as a rebounding defender.

Daniel Harris - never quite took it to the next level perhaps thanks to his tank but at his best was a very strong clearance player with underrated skills. Ploughed through congestion, won it and bulleted it to a runner. Was tracking for a Sam Mitchell career but somewhere around 2008 it just didn't quite continue.

Ross Smith, Craig Sholl, Darren Crocker - part of the furniture Arden Street names but all exceedingly good players.

Smith was a cool, classy, strong defender. In 1995 a resurgent Richmond absolutely pantsed us, making our team of emerging stars look inept. Smith played well. When we won, Smith played well. The bloke was like a frigging metronome.

I never saw much of Sholl in his previous incarnations but he became a phenomenal FF with Horse out. Just a perfect player - fast leads and almost never dropped the mark. If he arrived to a loose ball could snap it from anywhere. Absolute clinical smooth set shot. The player I perhaps thought MacMillan would become - that extremely balanced all-rounder.

Crocker was a bit clunky to watch but how effective! Loped around with this mechano sort of movement but took his swag of marks and kicked his 2-3 goals pretty much every week. When he got on the park.

Glenn Archer - as a forward - a bit like Cunnington now, Archer's toughness got talked up so much his class as a player was overlooked. Of course Glenn was an incredibly bullocking defender. But he was also a very, very good forward. On the rare occasion in '96 when his forward lines of marking guns wasn't firing, Denis had the luxury of throwing Archer up there. On cue - 3 goals. He could mark and kick, smash packs and snap or even take screamers or kick them overhead soccer-style. Having kicked 5 and 6 goals in games rest assured Archer could've played out his career up there.

Agree with pretty much every nomination thus far.

For mine-

Corey Jones - never miss a chance to talk this bloke up. If he was at a high profile club he'd have been proclaimed a star. Got his head bandaged every 2nd game from a fearless approach but had the nouse to kick matchwinning goals (hello Sydney) and 7 in a game not once, but twice. Got near on 40 touches playing loose in defence. Not bad for a career HFF. A very large but rarely acknowledged reason why our 2007 season went from toilet cake to contender - and who knows how much that saved our necks in the end?

Corey McKernan - Nutjob summed it up pretty well. Like Carey, while he appeared impressive in highlights, watching these guys live was something else. 1996 was just magical, turning up every week with better than even chance of watching one or both of them turn a game on its head with brutality, power and skill. People might forget the AA team that year - Corey was nominated for ruck but also CHF up against Carey. Just a gun who did his best work in finals and crunch games. I felt for opposition supporters knowing that if big Corey had that angry look and clunked one early - their side was likely in for a torrid night.

Michael Firrito - outside of hardened north supporters this bloke is probably underappreciated. Played a consistent level in both weak and strong north sides. Players as tough as Ziebell acknowledged walking taller and talking on their opponents when they knew they had this guy for support. A strong mark, hoofing kick and assertive mindset in defence. After seeing a few physically weaker young players coming into the club it was a pleasure to watch this bull rookie emerge within his 1st season.

Leigh Harding - another who I talk up often and feel doesn't get appreciated enough. Another rookie who bucked the trend of middling draftees and debuted with a screamer and goal against the eventual premier (Brisbane) to announce his career. Had lightning pace in his early years and though he could be wayward was a handful, constantly creating chaos. Lacked nothing in courage and returning from a knee injury played some very good footy as a rebounding defender.

Daniel Harris - never quite took it to the next level perhaps thanks to his tank but at his best was a very strong clearance player with underrated skills. Ploughed through congestion, won it and bulleted it to a runner. Was tracking for a Sam Mitchell career but somewhere around 2008 it just didn't quite continue.

Ross Smith, Craig Sholl, Darren Crocker - part of the furniture Arden Street names but all exceedingly good players.

Smith was a cool, classy, strong defender. In 1995 a resurgent Richmond absolutely pantsed us, making our team of emerging stars look inept. Smith played well. When we won, Smith played well. The bloke was like a frigging metronome.

I never saw much of Sholl in his previous incarnations but he became a phenomenal FF with Horse out. Just a perfect player - fast leads and almost never dropped the mark. If he arrived to a loose ball could snap it from anywhere. Absolute clinical smooth set shot. The player I perhaps thought MacMillan would become - that extremely balanced all-rounder.

Crocker was a bit clunky to watch but how effective! Loped around with this mechano sort of movement but took his swag of marks and kicked his 2-3 goals pretty much every week. When he got on the park.

Glenn Archer - as a forward - a bit like Cunnington now, Archer's toughness got talked up so much his class as a player was overlooked. Of course Glenn was an incredibly bullocking defender. But he was also a very, very good forward. On the rare occasion in '96 when his forward lines of marking guns wasn't firing, Denis had the luxury of throwing Archer up there. On cue - 3 goals. He could mark and kick, smash packs and snap or even take screamers or kick them overhead soccer-style. Having kicked 5 and 6 goals in games rest assured Archer could've played out his career up there.
Great post KC! My like didn’t seem enough

From an opposition POV, good to see the Leigh Harding nominations.

A good to very solid forward who would be my No. 1 choice for NM small forward.

Maybe because he played better earlier in his career than, say, Corey Jones that's why I've always thought highly of the No. 39.

Maybe their best No. 39 ever?

john Byrne was the first player I thought of when I saw this thread. Hugely underrated and a tragedy he broke his leg.

I don't reckon he was underrated Bernie, he just couldn't get on the park.

It's the same reason I didn't include Patch in my side.

Drew Petrie from 2007-2009? I reckon he took the outcome of the match into his hands on a number of occasions.

From an opposition POV, good to see the Leigh Harding nominations.

A good to very solid forward who would be my No. 1 choice for NM small forward.

Maybe because he played better earlier in his career than, say, Corey Jones that's why I've always thought highly of the No. 39.

Maybe their best No. 39 ever?

I remember Harding kicking 6 against Geelong and this sparked a furious debate on here with Cats supporters about who was better, Harding or Steve Johnson. Well I don’t think there’s any doubt who turned out the better but on that glorious day it was definitely Turtle!

I remember Harding kicking 6 against Geelong and this sparked a furious debate on here with Cats supporters about who was better, Harding or Steve Johnson. Well I don’t think there’s any doubt who turned out the better but on that glorious day it was definitely Turtle!

Stevie J took a fair while to get cracking (I do note he already was up to 108 goals after 67 games) but, when he did, that was the end of the Stevie J-Leigh Harding conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 10 years time we will be adding one B Cunnington to this list.

Last edited:
I was only about 10 at the time but I seem to remember Xavier Tanner was beautiful to watch, but can’t remember his career very well.
Not too dissimilar to Geoff Raines , both free flowing footballers but i think his career was cut short.
Also I vaguely remember Brian Wilson’s 2 years
I reckon he would’ve been a gun if he stuck around for 82 and 83

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also I vaguely remember Brian Wilson’s 2 years
I reckon he would’ve been a gun if he stuck around for 82 and 83

Lured away by the Dees with a $100k a year contract

Carey was under rated by 14 teams that only double teamed him most of the game.

The only team that didn’t under rate him were the Crows down at Princess Park in 1994.

Opening bounce he had 3 players on him. If my memory serves me right he took an early contested mark and the 3rd player which was Greg ANDERSON ended up going back to his usual non damaging role on the wing.

Ended up with

Disposals 22.
Marks 11.
Scored 4.4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then there was the time Sheedy tried to triple team him for a quarter to try and save his 10 point lead. :D

I took great delight in reminding Tim Watson about this (he was one of the three) when I called in on SEN, and he was lost for words behind Gary Lyons muffled laughter.

Then there was the time Sheedy tried to triple team him for a quarter to try and save his 10 point lead. :D

I took great delight in reminding Tim Watson about this (he was one of the three) when I called in on SEN, and he was lost for words behind Gary Lyons muffled laughter.

Someone's sig on here mentions the Duck and David Neitz.

F**k, I have watched that quarter a lot of times

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Carey was under rated by 14 teams that only double teamed him most of the game.

The only team that didn’t under rate him were the Crows down at Princess Park in 1994.

Opening bounce he had 3 players on him.

LOL

I love that you've actually made a very good argument for Wayne Carey being underrated.

Well done.

Fridge was unreal. He's a player who I remember was really athletic and a great mover for his size. But still, every time I see video with him in it it blows me away how good he was.

Has he been mentioned in this thread yet?

He must have run off the backline and drove us into attack 150 times during the 90s. Its almost my only memory of him.

Fridge was unreal. He's a player who I remember was really athletic and a great mover for his size. But still, every time I see video with him in it it blows me away how good he was.

Has he been mentioned in this thread yet?

He must have run off the backline and drove us into attack 150 times during the 90s. Its almost my only memory of him.
He wasn't that quick but he was unstoppable once he got a run on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back