desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
I was there the day he played at one end of the ground for an entire match (full back/fullforward) and kicked goals.

He singlehandedly dragged us in to the 1976 grand final in the prelim v Carlton (North by 1 point, Sutton kicked 5 of North's 10 goals).

Not to mention that he kick started our final quarter comeback in the '77 GF with a terrific mark and goal.

I don't think Phil Baker gets the credit he deserves, there aren't too many in the history of the game that have played so well in multiple GF's like he did in '77 and '78.

Kerry Good is another one, anyone who can kick double figures in a game can play, not to mention what he did in the '80 Night GF.

Steve McCann was maligned at times but played some terrific football over the course of more than 200 games.

Don't know wether anyone has mentioned him yet, David King.
Did quote Denis this a.m. on the wireless;
" better sometimes to appear like an idiot instead of opening your mouth and confirming the fact "😂

But could play. Can't remember too many games where l came away thinking, " geez, Kingy was poor "
Agree - very consistent player. Rarely played a shocker.

Don't know wether anyone has mentioned him yet, David King.
Did quote Denis this a.m. on the wireless;
" better sometimes to appear like an idiot instead of opening your mouth and confirming the fact "😂

But could play. Can't remember too many games where l came away thinking, " geez, Kingy was poor "

Even kicked a bag when we got flogged off the Scum in 2000 finals.

osaka mick

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton, 76s, Canucks
A very good assessment. Grima a tad overrated for mine, but that's it.
Fair enough!, but I loved Grima. I thought him the equal of Scott Thompson for a long while, he just couldnt hold his body together. I wish he played 100 games for us, but as he said in his retirement speech, he didnt think he would play 1 game!!

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
I was there the day he played at one end of the ground for an entire match (full back/fullforward) and kicked goals.

He singlehandedly dragged us in to the 1976 grand final in the prelim v Carlton (North by 1 point, Sutton kicked 5 of North's 10 goals).

Even then, we were getting rubbish free kicks paid against us.

Back