Strategy North to contend by 2020 - Articles & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuinely I don't think we are that far off...

We have some truly gifted young talent our problem was never lack of depth but our lack of true X-factor talent, LDU has what looks to be the early signs of it, Ben Brown is a star but we would only need 2-3 more years drafting and developing also throwing Oprah money and at player i.e. Mcgovern, Gaff, Lynch, Kelly or even Dahl.. with the right inclusions we really do have a scarily good team... but then again, Majak is lookin pretty good these days :(

If you take the midpoint of opinions, ours VS the general footy community of where our list is at. We have just started the upward curve of our rebuild. We are in serious need of additional first and second round pics. The only way we can get those is if some clubs are circling around and in need for a Cunners, Taz, or BBB. They are the only players we have that could generate 2 first rounders.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

We haven't got one top 30 player.

We're on the ground floor of a rebuild.
I agree that not just the planets would have to align, but also the stars, the whole universe and possibly a few more would have to align, for enough of our current young players to become consistent quality players, for the rebuild to last only two years. But where would you rate Big Ben?

If you take the midpoint of opinions, ours VS the general footy community of where our list is at. We have just started the upward curve of our rebuild. We are in serious need of additional first and second round pics. The only way we can get those is if some clubs are circling around and in need for a Cunners, Taz, or BBB. They are the only players we have that could generate 2 first rounders.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pointless. Why get rid of good players for (possibly) good players? That's not a rebuild - its a route to permanent wooden spoon.

It depends on the rebuild plan and timeline. Will Taz, Cunners and ziebull be around when are next in contention?
JZ and Cunnington are only 27 so yes for sure. Taz will be 29 soon so still could have 3 years in him.

Thing is, if you are going to trade these guys they have to appealing to other clubs. Taz would only attract interest from a club on the brink of a GF that needs a quality backman. This is likely to mean the team wont have a great draft pick to give. JZ and Cunners still have 4-5 years in them so they could be picked up by a bottom team in need for experience. I see JZ as the perfect fit for Carlton and they'll have a good pick to get him.

It depends on the rebuild plan and timeline. Will Taz, Cunners and ziebull be around when are next in contention?

Richmond were 13th in 2016. The way the league is now every team is really only 2 seasons at most from contention. At least potentially. They have to make the right decisions on and off field.

As Snake pointed out, we've had 1 ten goal plus loss in 25 (since the rebuild started, Rd 1 2017).

Team we fielded on the weekend had an average age of about 25.3.

We will compete in most games, but unless new blokes show something from day dot (how rare is it for a new draftee to really make an impact at this club), I doubt this record can continue.

Mid-2020 I expect the worm to start turning. Long time before we get there, but on a brighter note, plenty of time to get our ducks in a row.

mods: if this belongs somewhere else, merge as you see fit.....

So the academy game got me to thinking how we get Tarryn Thomas and keep our first round pick, and that of course has to then be related to when the window might be open relative to our current best players. If we start at that end, we wouldn't want to go much past 2020 (tarrant 31, cunnington 29, brown 27), so that puts an emphasis on this draft, plus free agency.

As I understand the points system, Thomas attracts a 20% discount (if I have any of the numbers wrong, shout out). Let's say we finish 9th, and Tarryn attracts a pick 5 bid (which I think on Saturday's showing, the King brothers, Lukosius and Walsh would go 1-4, leaving Tarryn at 5; Rankine is in there too of course, but following WCE and McDonald, somebody will bid higher just to be difficult). The maths then works like this

Tarryn - pick 5 - 1868 points - less 20% discount = 1502 points

North's picks: pick 9 (keep, but 1469 points); pick 27 (703); pick 55 (207); 3rd round trade from 2017, call it pick 56 (194)

Adds up to 1104 points, leaving us 398 short, equivalent to pick 41

So the first question is: who could we trade for a high third round draft pick?

Assuming that can be managed, that would position us with an elite midfield group of Cunnington, LDU, Simpkin (both heading into 50 games by 2020), Tarryn Thomas and pick 9 (both heading to 30 games by mid 2020), plus whatever we could get through free agency

paint that scenario, and seems to me 2020 isn't such a mirage

I like it, the 2019-2020 vision is entirely possible and anytime I read about it never sounds overly far-fetched. I wouldn't even worry about us finishing 9th, we're gonna finish alot lower, possibly even lower than last season.

Throw some free agents in the mix and suddenly you got a pretty good looking team around then. I'm still a firm believer Kelly comes home when the contract is up, he signed on for the short term cash and prospecting the flag window for GWS, by the time its over he's moving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the academy game got me to thinking how we get Tarryn Thomas and keep our first round pick, and that of course has to then be related to when the window might be open relative to our current best players. If we start at that end, we wouldn't want to go much past 2020 (tarrant 31, cunnington 29, brown 27), so that puts an emphasis on this draft, plus free agency.

As I understand the points system, Thomas attracts a 20% discount (if I have any of the numbers wrong, shout out). Let's say we finish 9th, and Tarryn attracts a pick 5 bid (which I think on Saturday's showing, the King brothers, Lukosius and Walsh would go 1-4, leaving Tarryn at 5; Rankine is in there too of course, but following WCE and McDonald, somebody will bid higher just to be difficult). The maths then works like this

North's picks: pick 9 (keep, but 1469 points); pick 27 (703); pick 55 (207); 3rd round trade from 2017, call it pick 56 (194)

Assuming that can be managed, that would position us with an elite midfield group of Cunnington, LDU, Simpkin (both heading into 50 games by 2020), Tarryn Thomas and pick 9 (both heading to 30 games by mid 2020), plus whatever we could get through free agency

A couple of points

1: we ain't finishing 9th. Our first pick will be 1-5.

2: Thomas ain't getting a bid at 5. He will be closer to second round than 5th.

3: under your scenario we would have to use pick 9 as you need to use your first pick after the bid.

2020 flag is a pipe dream.

Possibly. But planning for any later is dangerous - can end up in no man's land. We started getting in players we'd hope to take over in 2015-16. If we can't get them and the 17/18 batch playing decent enough footy to be sticking into finals by 2020 we're going to start losing some of the key pieces (or they'll be reducing) Brown, Cunnington, JZ, Higgins, Tarrant...

I think roomy 2020 is the start of our climb up the slippery slopes of success. I reckon TT will be called 15 onward but of course that could change. Having seen what we are dishing up, a pick outside 5 would near floor me.

My issue with North is our lack of vision, now we all saw Daw again did ok in the ruck, we've backed in Goldstein ( fair enough) and have Preuss with a Xerri on top. Bloody why? Is my question.

Clubs ask about our players and we go limp, not IMO, until we can overcome 'stage fright' we will continue to replace players as they retire with new players we draft. FFS we wanted to retain Wells, we did ok in the end.

So looking at 2020 as a starter, who currently on our list will be near the end or finishing up? We've some work to do.

A couple of points

1: we ain't finishing 9th. Our first pick will be 1-5.

2: Thomas ain't getting a bid at 5. He will be closer to second round than 5th.

3: under your scenario we would have to use pick 9 as you need to use your first pick after the bid.

I guess 1 and 2 are for the future; 3 is pretty fundamental - I thought you could accumulate points and buy the relevant picks; apart from the umps changing the rules every week, this points things would have to be the most confusing thing in football

I guess 1 and 2 are for the future; 3 is pretty fundamental - I thought you could accumulate points and buy the relevant picks; apart from the umps changing the rules every week, this points things would have to be the most confusing thing in football

I thought similar last year but apparently it was changed the year Brisbane used pick 20 for Bastinac as they and others were just trying to accumulate s**t picks for points.

As I said, u need to use first pick after the nomination. That might man we could trade out or up our second pick to get something really good and then use our thirds to match Thomas. You also can only use as many picks as you have list spots.

I don’t think we need a strategy to finish down the bottom - that just isn’t North Melbourne, I don’t care what anyone says.

However, we look like even if try we will still finish at best 13-14. We’ll know more by the end of round 10, as after Carlton we have a run of 6 games where we are odds on to lose all of them. If we can pinch two from that lot, we may finish higher than 13th. If we lose them all, top 5 pick is assured.

But I’d rather we won as much as we can - we’ll still get TT and a very good kid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back