News North to play Essendon or Richmond on Good Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love Richmond to play on Good Friday, gives me the chance to support my team and give back to the hospital that has done so much for both me and my family in the past.

I would love Richmond to play on Good Friday, gives me the chance to support my team and give back to the hospital that has done so much for both me and my family in the past.

100% and I have it on good authority that JC is a mad tiges supporter.

RFC was founded by working class Catholics. If we are prepared to pay respects to indigenous culture then surely we can pay respect to our own and the traditions that founded the club in the first place.

This is a fantastic post . My dad tells some great stories that support this . It is good to have this type of history and we should celebrate this legacy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

RFC was founded by working class Catholics. If we are prepared to pay respects to indigenous culture then surely we can pay respect to our own and the traditions that founded the club in the first place.

Catholics! Geez. Are they the ones that can pretty much do anything as long as they confess?

I must confess I find all religion hilarious. It's been the biggest killer of humans in the history of the world. Yep, since the big bang.

Each to their own though, it's not for me. Religious people should respect that (but they don't)

Yer and why is that? The west is free because of our Christian heritage. Good Friday is the most sacred day in christianity. The sick children argument is a fig leaf. Nothing more. On one hand RFC say it is OK to sell out our heritage because it “raises money for sick kids” meanwhile we own poker machines that do so much damage.

If our heritage is not important then why have the Good Friday Appeal at all? This is not about religion it’s about acknowledging the culture that allows us the freedom to have this debate.
You can still acknowledge culture whilst at the same time, move with times. I was bouht up as a christian and i say it doesnt effect me so im all for it. Hypocrisy exists for everyone.

Addressing the points that we should celebrate the club Catholic traditional and origins, I completely disagree with this. Moving away for this was one of the best thing the club ever did imo.

Addressing the points that we should celebrate the club Catholic traditional and origins, I completely disagree with this. Moving away for this was one of the best thing the club ever did imo.

We’re a club for everyone mate. It’s the best thing about it.

We’re a club for everyone mate. It’s the best thing about it.
Precisely. As Yogi in the cheer squad banner reads "Many Beliefs, Many Cultures, One Tiger Army".

Fine. If Good Friday and our Judeo Christian heritage mean nothing then we should do away with Easter and Christmas holidays. Perhaps we adopt the Chinese or orthodox calendar too. I don’t go to church but I respect its role in getting us here today. Christians created capitalism, the Magna Carta and the primacy of contracts. Without any of this the west would not enjoy the standard of living it enjoys today.
I find it so hypocritical that the AFL respect every other culture other than the one that gave us what we have today.

I didn't say do away with Good Friday. Some posters are suggesting that we don't play football on that day for some misguided "respect" argument.

Should we not play football during Ramadan "out of respect" because the Islamic world advanced maths tremendously and we adopted the Arabic numbers etc.
Should we stop playing football on the Jewish Sabbath because the European Jews have had pretty much every Nobel Prize ever?

Who cares what Christians did and didn't do for society. What's it got to do with football? If you don't want to participate because you are religious that is your right. But religious people don't get to dictate what non religious people do anymore. That's a really big improvement in the world. Each to their own etc

Ps Halloween, Christmas, Easter etc are fun. Good Friday is boring af

A lot of people are not even slightly interested in religion - particularly me.

Rugby league play on good friday every year, have done for years - guess how many people are up in arms in Sydney & Queensland = bugger all.

If you don't want to watch then why should you be concerned about what others are doing?

Well said totally agree.. Norf and Druggies can have that game thou

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be fair to say a lot of people are interested in Religion...even Tiger supporters!...I am...
I am not interested in RL, again it's a fair bet that some of it's supporters are not happy either about RL on Good Friday...
And you know for a fact that bugger all supporters are up in arms about RL playing on Good Friday!?!
Like the previous poster stated...it's about 'respect' and I for one agree with them.
A lot are interested in religion, but given the 2016 census results, it would be fairly safe to say that Christians make up less than 50% of those people in Australia now and they are the only ones who care about Good Friday. We live in a multi-cultural society and also one of the least religious countries in the world (around 12th least in the world), so Good Friday is less and less relevant in today's Australia.

Fine. If Good Friday and our Judeo Christian heritage mean nothing then we should do away with Easter and Christmas holidays. Perhaps we adopt the Chinese or orthodox calendar too. I don’t go to church but I respect its role in getting us here today. Christians created capitalism, the Magna Carta and the primacy of contracts. Without any of this the west would not enjoy the standard of living it enjoys today.
I find it so hypocritical that the AFL respect every other culture other than the one that gave us what we have today.
Only a couple of public holidays are based on Catholicism and I'd be more than happy to lose them in place of additional non-denominational public holidays like the bank holidays in the UK, or increased annual leave so those can take time off around their own religion's holy days. At the end of the day, when it comes to Christmas, more people are interested in the fat red bloke who only has very tenuous links back to St Nicholas. Today's version has very little to do with religion and more to do with consumerism.

As a descendant of "working class proddies" I have no interest in the religious leanings of the RFC founders.
Are you suggesting that we become Richmond Celtic?

What about the crusades where 'Good Christian Folk' massacred the Muslims by order of the Vatican
Don't forget the 'God Fearing Christians' massacring Native Americans
What about the Slave-trade, they were Christians too.
The Klu Klux Klan are good old Christian boys.

Wasn’t the whole idea for two teams who don’t have big games to have this fixture?
What’s the common denominator here?? ******* norf and their 15 fans.
Piss them off and give it to two other teams who might make it work .

A lot are interested in religion, but given the 2016 census results, it would be fairly safe to say that Christians make up less than 50% of those people in Australia now and they are the only ones who care about Good Friday. We live in a multi-cultural society and also one of the least religious countries in the world (around 12th least in the world), so Good Friday is less and less relevant in today's Australia

The largest single religious affiliation in Australia in 2016 was "No Religion" - http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/mediareleasesbyReleaseDate/7E65A144540551D7CA258148000E2B85

Legitimate question is the indigenous round really about acknowledging indigenous people or is it too about money? What about ANZAC day? All those ratings, the extra merch that is sold. I don’t know anymore.

You keep coming back to indigenous round.

Most reasonable people support that because indigenous Australians have had their autonomy largely taken from them. Most reasonable people think that a small, token gesture towards a group who have suffered enormously is fair enough. And one round of football is pretty token.

Christianity has not had its autonomy hindered.

Your right. Christianity has given us plenty of great things. That should be celebrated. And so should the nature of the folks who founded our football club.

But we don't want to bring foundries and tanneries back to 3121. There comes a time when things just wear out. That time has come for Good Friday for more Australians than not. Like it did for Sunday being the sabbath. Best to save what's actually important - forgiveness, for one - and not worry too much about what date it is when a footy game gets played, IMO.

The largest single religious affiliation in Australia in 2016 was "No Religion" - http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/mediareleasesbyReleaseDate/7E65A144540551D7CA258148000E2B85
Correct, in 2016 over 30% of the respondents saying No Religion vs 22% that say Catholic, however when you added up all the other Christian churches (like Anglican) then it added up to 52%. This had dropped from 61% in 2011 though (-9%), so 2 years after the 2016 census, you could safely say that the collective would be under 50% now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back