Umpiring North v Carlton Good Friday Game Umpiring ‘Discussion’

Is this the worst over umpired game of the year?

• Bad umpiring for both sides

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Carlton got a ride

Votes: 77 82.8%
  • North got a ride

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Walter H White

All Australian
Nov 22, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
So let's tally the bad decisions. Against North, off the top of my head:

• Soft frees for Charlie Curnow that most other key forwards don't get (some were there, granted, but some consistency please)
  • Hollands dropping the ball when tackled. Tackle wasn't late and should not have been paid against North.
  • No free for Zurhaar for high contact.
  • Questionable free against Zurhaar for high contact.
  • Stephenson running too far.

I'm sure there were others, if someone wants to add. Feel free to add any bad calls against Carlton to compare against.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
So let's tally the bad decisions. Against North, off the top of my head:

• Soft frees for Charlie Curnow that most other key forwards don't get (some were there, granted, but some consistency please)
  • Hollands dropping the ball when tackled. Tackle wasn't late and should not have been paid against North.
  • No free for Zurhaar for high contact.
  • Questionable free against Zurhaar for high contact.
  • Stephenson running too far.

I'm sure there were others, if someone wants to add. Feel free to add any bad calls against Carlton to compare against.
This, exactly.

I can just imagine a novice watching the game... 'Why is the dark blue team playing under one set of rules, and the light blue and white team playing under a completely different set of rules?'

But the Carlton faithful have evolved the discussion to 'Curnow got a few 50/50 free kicks. Big deal.'

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
This, exactly.

I can just imagine a novice watching the game... 'Why is the dark blue team playing under one set of rules, and the light blue and white team playing under a completely different set of rules?'

But the Carlton faithful have evolved the discussion to 'Curnow got a few 50/50 free kicks. Big deal.'

You don’t need to imagine Fudgey. You’re good.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
2nd one they are holding each other. Play on.
Absolutely they are, which is why it was initially just play on, but as soon as the umpire sees this, it goes from holding eachother, to high contact.
1681180183131.png

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
This, exactly.

"There's that word [a.k.a. excuse] again."

Remember?

You would have some credibility, if you didn't backflip depending the team that was involved 😉

Back