guapo

All Australian
Aug 24, 2005
fitzroy
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I liked WW, he is class and can use the next games to get some experience before exploding in 2021

Maj was good, needs to direct his taps a little better but ran the game out well.

Brown injured is bad, hope he gets better.

Scott continues to impress and I am now a convert

Bonar has great vision and ball handling, no idea what he is doing in the backline

Walker is a good option forward or back, but had struggles with the hands tonight

Overall, our midfield mix was vanilla and our disposal was crap so the forward line was pretty much not even needed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And ho-hum, Jy top possession winner again.... needs some help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Shut up and buy me a 52nd birthday card for Saturday week because I am enduring the worst birthday month fricking in those 52 years.

And you get to celebrate it by watching us get violated by Brisbane. Maybe you can give yourself a pressie and not watch.....

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Polec, enjoy some more time as a spectator, your effort tonight was poor🤮

Oh no.

Check his thread.

Our very high priced "elite" recruit is actually playing poorly due to every reason possible other than his own.

I wonder if Fyfe, Martin, Pendlebury etc need to make excuses for their (rare) poor performances?

Fact is he's not even near that level.

rm3504

All Australian
May 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We’re simply not good enough to play games our own terms. Last week was an anomaly, we played one of the worst teams in recent history.
Beyond frustrating watching players like atley and Macmillan(who admittedly was one of our better performers tonight) rackup continuous Afl games showing no signs of continuous improvement or game breaking ability. Why we are trying to turn Bonar who has explosive abilities into a lockdown defender whilst we have Murphy not able to get a game is bizarre.
Bonar has shown no explosive abilities or even much ability
He’s a typical north player
Either slow or poor kick

Bigming

Club Legend
May 31, 2015
Hong Kong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Millers
Not too anything about today's game really. We were so lucky Geelong let us off the hook. A few positives, and we are one step closer to our next win, and also an early pick.

I'm more worried that the team and coaches only have 3 and bit days before the Melbourne game. Losing to the Cats was probably always going to happen, but I think the expectation is that we should be competitive against the D's.

Sunday may end up making today seem like last saturday

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Most depressing part is I feel like we got gyped. We only had four days to enjoy our win.

Said it last Saturday, say it again tonight. Geez Adelaide are pathetic. No team gets any kudos for beating them by any margin. That us and Melbourne thrashed them is meaningless. Aside from when the Suns and GWS joined and basically played under-20s teams, they're just about the worst side I've seen since Fitzroy died. (Maybe Melbourne under Neeld could challenge?)

No point in complaining. A more mature, solid unit dominated a lighter, younger group. The game played out to form. We have the worst injury list in the league by a common hack canter. We need to temper our expectations. My sense is that we made some headway tonight, although it’s not completely apparent.
Will Walker will be good - guaranteed. Atley and Polec need to take the game on and take risks. Better to turn the ball over being positive rather than turning it over while being hesitant. Shaw needs to hammer that message home to both of them. Just get them to play like LMac FFS. Mahony showing glimpses of the good stuff that lies ahead. We so need Larkey and Cunners to straighten us up. Tarrant is an absolute monument to the NMFC. Jy worked his way into the game well. Bailey delivered again when lining up. We scared them - we really did. Unfortunately, we were our own worst enemy at times.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
P

good Clubs have a rule to not draft players that can’t kick
We dont
Hence we can’t string 7-8 kicks against good teams thro the middle of the ground without turning it over

Hopefully that is beginning to change. Simpkin, Zurhaar, LDU, Walker, Thomas, Scott, Taylor and Perez (from his junior days) can all kick. And drafted in the last 4 years.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
I can't like Hawkins, but was happy to see him yacking with McKay after the game. Who knows what they were talking about but it will help young Ben feel more comfortable at that level. Not saying he's not, but it's easy to imagine Hawkins just burning him. Imo.
Carries on like a bit of a tool on the field at times but Hawkins is apparently a terrific bloke.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not prepared to have a go at Shawry since we haven't even given him a proper full season to see what he can achieve. Nor has the list been given an overhaul in terms of what needs to be fixed. Heaps of players awaiting contract extensions.

This season sorta reminds me of the Eagles 2013-14. Some shades of brilliance ruined by lackluster performances.

We need to be patient with Brady and Shaw.

The previous regime had their chance at a flag and they failed spectacularly. If that means we are in for another long ride then so be it.

There are some serious young talents in this team that have shown so much that is (probably) a blessing in disguise in terms of the injury situation. By being exposed to the young talent sooner rather than later, it could be a huge advantage for us. Young players with AFL games under their belt means we can throw them in confidently when we need them. Not 'manage' them at HBF or back pocket. Write off this year. It looks like a horrible massacre but honestly to see the young players progress keeps me satisfied.

Shaw experimenting is a clever way of making the most of a 's**t' year. He needs to know what moves he'll be able to make when his players mature and when he will have to make those moves again in a important finals battle to get the edge. What's promising is the performances of those players in different positions don't fluctuate. Except Polec...

The problem with Scott's finals campaigns was the lack of ability to switch player positions to mess with opposition structures and unfortunately it was too late when he decided to make flexible changes. (i.e. move Daw to CHB.) A move that would've been crucial in that loss to Sydney in 2014. How many times did Sydney just bomb it long?

Anyway, since this is pretty much a meh season. It's not the end of the world.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
It was hard to watch, we looked slow our small backs are just terrible, I know we say this very week but Atley must go.

Will Walker looked lost, Hosie was OK but I don’t think he will make it when we have a team to chose from.
Agree and disagree. Walker is going to be a good get if he manages to stay fit. Can play. On the other hand Atley has run his race. Never really been a fan - a nothing player really. Gets beaten by anyone with any talent. Even on the odd occasion he does one of his runs he gets mind boggled and turns it over

Trying to think of a game that we lost that I couldn't care less about.

Playing Geelong at the Gabba in a twilight game on Wednesday when we're 3-6 in a 17 game season? I'd be happy if we'd won, but we didn't and I seriously couldn't care.
Felt like a pre season game.
Last day in the office for 6 weeks.
Cleared out my desk and stopped for the last haircut I can get legally for a while.
1st quarter was over by the time I was done.
Made it home in time for quarter 2 and in between setting up my work from home station I was tuning into the telecast and just amazed at how poor our skills are.

When we were looking to get it inside 15 points and Jasper missed a simple handball and then turned it over to Guthrie, I honestly just thought why bother?

Was more emotionally invested in Melbourne losing than North winning. s**t night all round.

chubbspeterson

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty much as I expected, watching cats vs west coast they were a different level to us, that was a finals intensity. We played the crows.
The scoreboard flattered us. Midfield smashed in clearances, they barely put Danger in the centre square so that illustrates the difference in depth.
The coaches knew the game was iced by cats so Rhyce started to manage Goldy's workload in last qtr given he's got Gawn on sunday.

It's not all doom and gloom. We put together some good passages of play and the young guys are showing some good signs.
At least this year has shown us our deficiencies. Injuries have played a part but even with our best 22 we're still an average to good team and even though there's a lot of average teams in the AFL, its not going to be good enough to contend.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Think about what he has at his disposal. Such a horrible hodgepodge of half-fit guys, kids and senior players who can't kick and make poor decisions.
You are giving him an out.
He's been head coach now for over a year. As head coach, he is ultimately responsible for fitness, skills, game plan, etc. Where is the improvement? We've gone backwards compared to a year ago.

For comparison, look at Bevo as a rookie coach at the Dogs. He took them from rock bottom to finals in a year, then a flag in his second year.

Shaw is miles off it.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
We’re simply not good enough to play games our own terms. Last week was an anomaly, we played one of the worst teams in recent history.
Beyond frustrating watching players like atley and Macmillan(who admittedly was one of our better performers tonight) rackup continuous Afl games showing no signs of continuous improvement or game breaking ability. Why we are trying to turn Bonar who has explosive abilities into a lockdown defender whilst we have Murphy not able to get a game is bizarre.
It makes no sense at all.

North11

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You are giving him an out.
He's been head coach now for over a year. As head coach, he is ultimately responsible for fitness, skills, game plan, etc. Where is the improvement? We've gone backwards compared to a year ago.

For comparison, look at Bevo as a rookie coach at the Dogs. He took them from rock bottom to finals in a year, then a flag in his second year.

Shaw is miles off it.
Beveridge didn’t have to rebuild like Shaw is doing now though.

Reminds me of how Chris Scott walked into a premiership side in his first year.

Obviously not the same but both walking down the same line in terms of players at their disposal such as Bontempelli, Johannisen, Macrae, etc...

Very harsh on Shaw to be honest.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Beveridge didn’t have to rebuild like Shaw is doing now though.

Reminds me of how Chris Scott walked into a premiership side in his first year.

Obviously not the same but both walking down the same line in terms of players at their disposal such as Bontempelli, Johannisen, Macrae, etc...

Very harsh on Shaw to be honest.
LOL!

Chris Scott took over a team who got to a PF, after winning the flag the previous year.
Bevo took over a team who finished in the bottom 4 for three years straight. Then got them a flag in 2 years.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Anyone writing off Shaw after this season is a fool.

An inherited list.

An injury list that is off the charts.

A key forward that isn’t for a variety of reasons.

Massive disruption that the team as individuals have obviously not adjusted to.

So spare me the sack the young coach in the season from hell.

Go look at Adelaide if you want to see a club and team that are cooked.
Do you honestly believe he is our next premiership coach?
That's the only question to be answered about him.

Back