Autopsy North v Cats

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ats worst game of the year imo. Agree he should be dropped. Jmac on the other hand was close to our best.
I am not quite that positive on JMac. I would rate his game as okay. 11 possessions with no huge clangers should be more like his minimum output. Just think the BF crew has such low expectations of him. I think JMac and Atley are symptomatic of the malaise we have fallen into as a club. Both hugely experienced and should be in their prime physically but neither have games that would cause opposition coaches much concern at all. Neither can hurt you at all with their possession.

LMac looked like he might have been heading down the same path but has really stepped things up over the last two seasons. Improved just about every aspect of his game.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Thought it was a good performance by north last night, they are improving alot compared to the tigers game a few weeks ago.

Liked what I saw in the first gamer Hosie, Walker looked ok and Mahoney is improving.
Fwd line looks better without brown, for mine not as one dimensional
Liked that they are playing with more dare.

Dislikes
Polec when the game was on the line in the centre square against danger in the last, provides no physical pressure at all and let's danger just take it out of the centre square, that needs to be a lot better, as a highly paid senior player that was poor and he might get the chop again.
Bonar - thought he would a good pickup, but he seems to run around like a headless chook, would prefer Ahern.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought it was a good performance by north last night, they are improving alot compared to the tigers game a few weeks ago.

Liked what I saw in the first gamer Hosie, Walker looked ok and Mahoney is improving.

Dislikes
Polec when the game was on the line in the centre square against danger in the last, provides no physical pressure at all and let's danger just take it out of the centre square, that needs to be a lot better, as a highly paid senior player that was poor and he might get the chop again.
Bonar - thought he would a good pickup, but he seems to run around like a headless chook, would prefer Ahern.

Yeh, fair swap Ahern for Constable. Done.

Jan 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Dislikes
That was most certainly not a good performance by North last night. Such optimistic views are not welcome around these parts.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Also:

Our gameplan is not to kick it long down the line. We want to use the corridor and the 45's more but without actually being at the game it's impossible to tell why that isn't working for us. Could be simply a case of players not working hard enough to get into space, unwilling to take risks etc.
I do know however, and this is straight from scampers mouth, that a lot of the players will go back into their shells when things start going wrong (which is obvious to everyone) and revert back to boring straight down the line, kick it to a 50/50 contest. But at least it is absolutely something the coaches are aware of.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was tempted to watch the replay tonight. (I usually do)

Think I'll give this one a miss.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
we had only 1 more player that has played less than 100 games.

versusgeelong.JPG

It was their 150+ game veterans doing most of the damage (besides Miers)

Snojet

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Without Cunnington feeding the ball out to the likes of Simpkin, Higgins and Polec we have reverted to a stop/start game plan. We have seen no run or leadership from Atley and Polec. Are they carrying injuries? The young guys are impressing me but will take time to gain confidence to take on risks and consistency in the game.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So sick of the commentators. Gerard Healy is an obnoxious f***wit! Nobody under the age of 40 even knows who you are. Stick your Brownlow medal up your a***! This guy just constantly gives s*** to North, “Oh that has to be a free kick to the other team”. F*** off campaigner!

Commentating in general is pretty ordinary, they have 4-5 commentators for every game maybe you get a decent one but the rest are useless.

Personally i think Eddie is half decent, BT while annoying at least doesn't take it too seriously as stupid as he is. Jono Brown calls it as he sees it, but then you have Healy who speaks as if his opinion is fact. Dal santo, Jordan lewis, Derm, all useless. The amount of times I've heard Lewis say "definitely probably" is incredible, " he is definitely probably their best intercept mark", Derm with his, "did you see how he just held it and then held it again and then handballed it and just waited there" is moronic.

Even good ol' Bruce is terrible these days, "oh oh oh, yes, oh oh, did you see that" nah Brice no one saw it.

Darcy, Basil, Ling, utter garbage.

I turn the sound off for most games now.

Last edited:

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Commentating in general is pretty ordinary, they have 4-5 commentators for every game maybe you get a decent one but the rest are useless.

Personally i Eddie is half decent, BT while annoying at least doesn't take it too seriously as stupid as he is. Jono Brown calls it as he sees it, but then you have Healy who speaks as if his opinion is fact. Dal santo, Jordan lewis, Derm, all useless. The amount of times I've heard Lewis say "definitely probably" is incredible, " he is definitely probably their best intercept mark", Derm with his, "did you see how he just held it and then held it again and then handballed it and just waited there" is moronic.

Even good ol' Bruce is terrible these days, "oh oh oh, yes, oh oh, did you see that" nah Brice no one saw it.

Darcy, Basil, Ling, utter garbage.

I turn the sound off for most games now.
Bruce constantly seeking validation for every word that exits his pie hole pisses me off no end.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Commentators not saying nice things about my struggling team has my emotions triggering - nah not really.

Become a contender and win often! then commentators wont bother people as much. Until then its expected.

Just back from the game & I love what Majak brings to the team. Imagine a full season with him.

Maybe it looked worse on the box because I thought we had a crack. Like most games I have watched this year there were long periods of dross from both teams, intense pressure at times & a few highlights.

At the games you see & hear our players at times being confused about positioning & ball movement so I figure it is a hard slog year of learning. At times we appear stagnant & it is frustrating to watch. The Carlton, Adelaide & this game were miles ahead of the games against the Tigers & *.
Hey Sut's, I made it to the game also, definitely gives your a different look at things.

I read an interesting article the other day about tv coverage of AFL and how it hasn't changed much at all. Clubs mostly use behind the goals footage for reviews etc as it shows now of what is actually going on. The suggestion was to improve viewer experience and understanding of what was unfolding, the commercial networks should also look at using these angles.

It looked to me that there was a lack of organisation in our back 6 all night. 4-5 centre bounces in a row, each defender lined up on a different bloke, often with mismatches. If you're going to guard space as a team you need to be fast, read the play and react as a unit.

As much as I liked JMac's endeavour at times last night, there were 3 occasions where the Cats got a clearance and the bloke he was lining up on at centre bounce kicked a goal with no one near him. I'm not sure if it was bad handover, bad communication, bad concentration or what.

Similarly with Ats twice.

Plenty of other issues too, but this is one that sick out for me in getting to see a game live for the first time in a few years.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Menegola, Fogarty and Stewert are all under 100 games.

Yes but Menegola & Stewart were both mature age pickups iirc, so don't really have much development left in them. Both on 75 games then compare that to our 75 game or so players like Jed(71), Jy(66), Turner(79).
Fogarty I will give you though. He played a great game.

Their guys like Selwood, Dangerfield, Guthrie, Hawkins, Duncan, Taylor, Blicavs, Tuohy, Steven are all 150+ gamers. The bolded ones were in their top 10 last night and only 3 of them are under 30 years old, with Guthrie being the only one under 28 at 27 years 11 months old.

Edit: It's no surprise we lost is my point here, and the idea that it's Geelong's 'youth' that is rejuvenating them is just factually incorrect.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Also:

Our gameplan is not to kick it long down the line. We want to use the corridor and the 45's more but without actually being at the game it's impossible to tell why that isn't working for us. Could be simply a case of players not working hard enough to get into space, unwilling to take risks etc.
I do know however, and this is straight from scampers mouth, that a lot of the players will go back into their shells when things start going wrong (which is obvious to everyone) and revert back to boring straight down the line, kick it to a 50/50 contest. But at least it is absolutely something the coaches are aware of.
Yep. The game we want to play is what we did last week but we can't produce it against teams with any kind of defensive system.

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey Sut's, I made it to the game also, definitely gives your a different look at things.

I read an interesting article the other day about tv coverage of AFL and how it hasn't changed much at all. Clubs mostly use behind the goals footage for reviews etc as it shows now of what is actually going on. The suggestion was to improve viewer experience and understanding of what was unfolding, the commercial networks should also look at using these angles.

It looked to me that there was a lack of organisation in our back 6 all night. 4-5 centre bounces in a row, each defender lined up on a different bloke, often with mismatches. If you're going to guard space as a team you need to be fast, read the play and react as a unit.

As much as I liked JMac's endeavour at times last night, there were 3 occasions where the Cats got a clearance and the bloke he was lining up on at centre bounce kicked a goal with no one near him. I'm not sure if it was bad handover, bad communication, bad concentration or what.

Similarly with Ats twice.

Plenty of other issues too, but this is one that sick out for me in getting to see a game live for the first time in a few years.

Spot on Hazey. Glad you got a game & a shame it wasn’t a win. That article should be compulsory as it gives you a much better perspective and lens to view the game. It has helped me not completely despair & believe that there are suctural things we could rectify when we get players back.

because we dont have the skill to execute a fast moving game style without turning it over to the opposition.
This looked obvious to me last night. Teams set up a zone and we simply don't have the skill to pick our way through, by hand or foot!

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am not quite that positive on JMac. I would rate his game as okay. 11 possessions with no huge clangers should be more like his minimum output. Just think the BF crew has such low expectations of him. I think JMac and Atley are symptomatic of the malaise we have fallen into as a club. Both hugely experienced and should be in their prime physically but neither have games that would cause opposition coaches much concern at all. Neither can hurt you at all with their possession.

LMac looked like he might have been heading down the same path but has really stepped things up over the last two seasons. Improved just about every aspect of his game.
Really good re Ats and JmAc 7577969919 ....... can’t imagine oppo coaches give either much thought.

Goal to Duncan in the last sums up the season. Hacked Geelong kick off the ground in the fwd. line. Hits him flush on the chest 10m away, spins round > goal.
We were within 15 points with 5.00 to play.

It's that " I like you as a friend " conversation we've all had in younger days.
As an aside, he'd be recognised for the talent he had of he wasn't overshadowed by Selwood/Danger.

Cracking player IMHO

Back