Forward
35​
Dangerfield, Patrick
258​
30yr 4mth5 Apr 1990
189cm​
92kg​
Geelong FalconsMidfield

Bar Jenkins, all of them would get a game at North.

Plus they have depth from under and a strong draft hand.

So yes, it's factually correct they have multiple players over 30. But so what?

Of course they would get a game at North. Which has been my whole point ITT that their best players are old...

If you're thinking guys like Zac Guthrie, Charlie Constable, Nakia Cockatoo & James Parsons are going to replace guys like Ablett, Selwood, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Taylor, Steven etc. though well I don't really know what to tell you.

They probably won't be bad players but it would be a miracle if they ended up carrying the team like those old blokes currently do.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Hey Sut's, I made it to the game also, definitely gives your a different look at things.

I read an interesting article the other day about tv coverage of AFL and how it hasn't changed much at all. Clubs mostly use behind the goals footage for reviews etc as it shows now of what is actually going on. The suggestion was to improve viewer experience and understanding of what was unfolding, the commercial networks should also look at using these angles.

It looked to me that there was a lack of organisation in our back 6 all night. 4-5 centre bounces in a row, each defender lined up on a different bloke, often with mismatches. If you're going to guard space as a team you need to be fast, read the play and react as a unit.

As much as I liked JMac's endeavour at times last night, there were 3 occasions where the Cats got a clearance and the bloke he was lining up on at centre bounce kicked a goal with no one near him. I'm not sure if it was bad handover, bad communication, bad concentration or what.

Similarly with Ats twice.

Plenty of other issues too, but this is one that sick out for me in getting to see a game live for the first time in a few years.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That article was outstanding. TV is still covering the 1970s game, but no-one is playing it any more.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Commentators not saying nice things about my struggling team has my emotions triggering - nah not really.

Become a contender and win often! then commentators wont bother people as much. Until then its expected.
Except I watch a lot of neutral games and they still do my head in. Dwayne Russell and whoever his colleagues were on the Freo Collingwood game detracted from the spectacle.
The only two who annoy me with anti-North bias are JB and Johnson. Darcy to a lesser extent I suppose, but he's just so awful in general

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Except I watch a lot of neutral games and they still do my head in. Dwayne Russell and whoever his colleagues were on the Freo Collingwood game detracted from the spectacle.
The only two who annoy me with anti-North bias are JB and Johnson. Darcy to a lesser extent I suppose, but he's just so awful in general

He's not all these poor Jono.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Here's a drinking game for ya. Skull every time Jonathon Brown says "No Doubt About It".

Bet you don't make it to the end of the game/show he's on.

I challenge you to Dwayne Pipe Bingo. The man has 25 catchphrases in rotation, and almost nothing in between.

The Herald-Sun gave our best players (only 3) as Hosie, Daw, Anderson. I have had a look at the votes thread and they are nothing like this, as I would expect. I would like to know what the HS reporter was on when watching the game

Last time I read the Herald Sun - I had different coloured hair and much more of it then - I noted that they mainly wrote fiction articles. I understand they have since refined their style to only include fictional content.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Commentating in general is pretty ordinary, they have 4-5 commentators for every game maybe you get a decent one but the rest are useless.

Personally i think Eddie is half decent, BT while annoying at least doesn't take it too seriously as stupid as he is. Jono Brown calls it as he sees it, but then you have Healy who speaks as if his opinion is fact. Dal santo, Jordan lewis, Derm, all useless. The amount of times I've heard Lewis say "definitely probably" is incredible, " he is definitely probably their best intercept mark", Derm with his, "did you see how he just held it and then held it again and then handballed it and just waited there" is moronic.

Even good ol' Bruce is terrible these days, "oh oh oh, yes, oh oh, did you see that" nah Brice no one saw it.

Darcy, Basil, Ling, utter garbage.

I turn the sound off for most games now.
I'm personally not that worried about the commentators. Grew up listening to Tim Lane call games on ABC radio and he is probably still my gold standard. Another hugely underrated caller, who I don't think has ever done AFL level, is Peter Donnegan. He can turn his hand to just about any sport going around. He doesn't do it anymore but I always thought Scott Lucas was great a special comments guy and a completely straight shooter.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
because on here he was treated completely opposite to other players. I've said it many times. LT would do 3 good things and 10 bad things and everyone would say he was dynamic because he kicked 3. But they ignored the 5 missed tackles, 3 OTF and 2 stupid attempts at marks. While guys like Jmac and Gibbo can do 20 good things and 2 bad things and everyone wanted their heads on a platter. There were games he got votes on here despite me listing the 10 things he did very badly.

Thomas wasn't that good. He had a hand full of good games but he kicked cheap goals and took credit for others good work. The love for such an average players was sickening while other players busting a gut got ridiculed. You know what did rile me up, people saying he bleed Blue and White. What crock, he loved going back to Port Adelaide.

I'm more on your wavelength about LT kangatime. Wasn't on BF back in those days but jeez he used to frustrate the hell out of me. Could kick a few but his defensive efforts were some of the softest I've seen from a player in the blue and white, tackle attempts were often no more than hanging an arm out as the opponent ran past, would cut across leads from guys like Petrie and try and intercept passes that were about to hit them on the chest, give away soft free kicks, and could be relied upon to give away at least one 50 per game. He was one of the prime examples of Scott having favorites and never holding them accountable.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not quite getting this "lol old Geelong" vibe either.

We had 10 players with 100+ games experience. They had 11.

We had 12 players with < 100 games experience. They had 11.

The splits were almost identical. We had injuries. They had injuries and missing players.

They've also drafted behind us in every draft round for years.

Let's deal with reality. They've had no recruiting advantages over us in recent years and aren't hitting any bigger cliff than us no matter what people want to tell themselves.

Yet they're contenders pretty much every year and we're not. I don't like it one bit but that's the fact.
They have one recruiting advantage and that is the go-home factor. By my count 10 of their players last night were Geelong locals or Father-Sons.
But general comparison with their list reveals a sad tale of poor recruitment and development on our part. I looked at the equivalent pick for North from their players last night and it is not a pretty sight. I won't go through them all but here's a few:
Tom Atkins = Tom McKenzie
Mark Blicavs = Malcolm Lynch
Mitch Duncan = Aaron Black
Sam Menegola = Declan Mountford
Tom Stewart = Declan Watson
There's a few we break even (Hawkins/Goldstein, Taylor/Tarrant) but the only definite win I see is Zurhaar over Henry.
Hopefully those days are behind us now, in Brady we trust.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
He very much could be.

You really are the Jeff Kennett of this board.
In some aspects I'd take that as a compliment.
As a club we could certainly use a president with his profile, influence and connections.
He wanted to sack the most successful coach of the AFL era too, and that was after more than 12 months in the job.
Source?
How many years did it take Hardwick to get it right?
Won a flag in his 8th year. You might have lower expectations, but I don't want to wait another 8 years. Not after 10 years of Scott and 8 years of Laidley without success. This was a club that played in 7 prelims in a row.
You have NFI if he is the right man for the job, no one does. Ask me again at the end of 2021, at least then we will have an actual body of evidence to look at.
The board must have some idea that he's the right man for the job, that's why they appointed him.
But this is the same board who extended Scott's contract and then fired him with over a year and half to run.
The same board who were so unnecessarily hasty to appoint Shaw without interviewing anyone else.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Last time I read the Herald Sun - I had different coloured hair and much more of it then - I noted that they mainly wrote fiction articles. I understand they have since refined their style to only include fictional content.
hs.jpg

Back