barnrokn

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2017
Straightouttanthmelb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
I know its hard to be optimistic at the moment but the injuries do have an upside. Players get tested early in their careers and have to play in positions that they normally wouldn't and they learn from these experiences.

I thought about this when McKay had to take Hawkins when Walker went forward. Without Brown's injury this would not have happened. McKay had a very good game and no one would have been confident about his ability to take on one of the league 'monsters' at the start of the season. McKay will have gained a lot from the match.

McKay will be a key defender for many years and you build team around a pack of elite mid fielders and key position players. Mid fielders are a dime a dozen but a centre half back is hard to find.
Can we have some of these dime a dozen midfielders please?

barnrokn

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2017
Straightouttanthmelb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Commentators not saying nice things about my struggling team has my emotions triggering - nah not really.

Become a contender and win often! then commentators wont bother people as much. Until then its expected.
F6E0BECF-B57A-4123-AD8C-D940E200BAC2.jpeg

RHLK

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Subiaco
Yep, highlites how Good their recruiting is.

Agree, but as a Subi supporting WAFL goer recruiting players like Menegola, Liam Ryan, Liam Baker or good 'ol Matt Priddis seems less like rocket surgery and more like dog's balls. Add Ben Sokol to that list - surprised he didn't get picked up last year, but more than happy to see him running around again for the Lions. But our scouts aren't the only ones failing to spot - or convince the higher-ups - of WAFL talent: see the Eagles having to pay big time for timid recruiting re Tim Kelly.

Agree, but as a Subi supporting WAFL goer recruiting players like Menegola, Liam Ryan, Liam Baker or good 'ol Matt Priddis seems less like rocket surgery and more like dog's balls. Add Ben Sokol to that list - surprised he didn't get picked up last year, but more than happy to see him running around again for the Lions. But our scouts aren't the only ones failing to spot - or convince the higher-ups - of WAFL talent: see the Eagles having to pay big time for timid recruiting re Tim Kelly.

There’s a few very handy players in the WAFL nowadays and cmon man, give another club a flag :p

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Can we have some of these dime a dozen midfielders please?
Usually three or four real guns in the top 5 draft picks was the point I was alluding to. Finish down the bottom and you get Gold Coast like picks.

Poor post of mine in that I did not state this

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So I have my frustrations with us currently and this is one of them. The game gets under way and off we go, bam balls fwd Maj charges out of from FF with all the grace of Fred Astaire and ✔. We're away.

The ball doesn't get back there for another 6 or so minutes. Finally we move fwd with some purpose and I adjust myself in the seat, a long high ball is a comin.

WTF? No Maj he'd been rotated , he hadn't been near the ball for six minutes, had done less than the *er directing traffic in the ******* car park.🤦‍♂️.

We have to sack the campaigner in charge of rotations, it's ******* ridiculous. We're an amateur organisation currently. If I was or had some sway at the club I'd had lost my tiny ******* mind. This bullshit needs to stop.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
So I have my frustrations with us currently and this is one of them. The game gets under way and off we go, bam balls fwd Maj charges out of from FF with all the grace of Fred Astaire and ✔. We're away.

The ball doesn't get back there for another 6 or so minutes. Finally we move fwd with some purpose and I adjust myself in the seat, a long high ball is a comin.

WTF? No Maj he'd been rotated , he hadn't been near the ball for six minutes, had done less than the f***er directing traffic in the ******* car park.🤦‍♂️.

We have to sack the campaigner in charge of rotations, it's ******* ridiculous. We're an amateur organisation currently. If I was or had some sway at the club I'd had lost my tiny ******* mind. This bullshit needs to stop.
You've read my mind here. Absolutely rediculous if the players haven't done anything then keep the structures there. That first goal was first minute of the game so not like he needed to even go off for a well done by the coach ffs

Harper was a worthy punt I'd have made too (RIP Kieran's career :( ) but is a bigger slightly different player type.

I mean the high energy, agile, pesty player who pounces on loose balls and creates havoc forcing an opponent to watch them. Every year there's some underager or under 20 type wreaking havoc in a state league (note: mature age NEAFL candidates need not apply).

Every club seems to have at least one of these little pricks prowling around except for us.
Bulldogs won a flag with a small mobile forward line.
Richmond too with Riewoldt the only tall and even he’s excellent below his knees.
This is 2016-17 and since then we’ve seen West Coast with Ryan, Rioli, Cripps, Cameron win a flag and Richmond get their 2nd and they gave one away in Butler.

We haven’t drafted anyone in that time frame who fits the mould other than Mahony last year.
Williams and Watson in 2016 was a disaster. West Coast and Geelong however did very well when they saw the trend changing.

We must get it right this year and next.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
How are you not fussed about our two biggest problems this year besides injuries?

Partly because perspective has meant I have a pretty complete lack of fuss about footy in general at the moment. Also because executing the gameplan - like pressuring the opposition when they have the ball, and winning the ball in the contests - comes back to effort and will and there just hasn't been enough of that for most of this season to know for sure what they are capable of or what Shaw is trying to do.

Back