Preview North V Geelong at Blundstone, Sat Jul 31 @ 1.15 pm - Rd 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why Smith?
Some suggest an elite runner needs a rest.
It is not an unreasonable suggestion given his importance to our structure, and that he has not missed a game at all. That is not to disrespect NM, because this is definitely a dangerous away game for us, and NM is playing really well. But if the MC thinks that the old legs need a break, this week is timely. I fear we need him this week very much.

Will norf park the bus in our defensive half like last time?

You have to look at what transpired during that game, they lost their best midfielder in the 1st quarter and they were missing starters like Zurhaar, Polec, McDonald, Dumont and Davies-Uniacke. Not to mention it was played at Kardinia Park (arguably the worst ground to play on for an inexperienced side).

This time they have a near full squad to pick from.
Are 3-1-2 since the bye and really playing with a lot dare and confidence.

I think Nth are going to be a really good team in a few years. Their last 5 weeks have been impressive considering what they dished up in the first half of the year.

Let's hope we don't go in with the mindset we'll win comfortably. I expect to win but it won't be easy.

I'm much more confident going up against an in form North than otherwise. The team will be know they will have to turn up and should play at 100%. 146 pts+

I'm much more confident going up against an in form North than otherwise. The team will be know they will have to turn up and should play at 100%. 146 pts+

We'll be lucky to score 146 points on the weekend, let alone win by that margin.

I expect to win but I don't think North will be making this easy for us at all.

I'm going to back my call. North will rest Cunnington, Goldy Hall and play kids. Duncan and JC to be surprise late ins. Sav hawk and Cameron all kick 10 and Toohey nails a torp from the centre square that goes through half way up the goal posts. Did I mention I was starting early.

Surprised still that anyone thinks Narkle could be an in for Miers. Love Narkle but he’s an inside mid, he’s only getting regular games if we lose a midfielder or a forward like Rohan where Danger plays forward to cover him.
So if Selwood is out, you’d think Narkle for Selwood.
It’ll probably be Higgins for Miers.
Assume we rest Close too, so that could be Frank in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised still that anyone thinks Narkle could be an in for Miers. Love Narkle but he’s an inside mid, he’s only getting regular games if we lose a midfielder or a forward like Rohan where Danger plays forward to cover him.
So if Selwood is out, you’d think Narkle for Selwood.
It’ll probably be Higgins for Miers.
Assume we rest Close too, so that could be Frank in.

I think it's more in hope of squeezing Narkle under the idea that there's now a spot in the 22 - but like you said, Miers it doesn't really open up a spot for Narkke unless we move other players around

I too think it'll be Higgins for Miers

Fringe Cats up to scratch in hitout
LACHIE YOUNG

A HOST of Geelong players on the fringe of AFL selection performed strongly in a VFL scratch match on Sunday.

The Cats used 14 players from their senior list and added some Adelaide players to form a team, which took on a combined Richmond-Crows outfit at Punt Rd Oval.

Jordan Clark made good use of the ball when he had it and showed strong signs working in the contest, while Charlie Constable was dominant yet again.

Constable found plenty of the footy, mostly winning it on the inside and distributing to teammates – something he has become renowned for at the lower level.

The 22-year-old could have kicked four goals but unselfishly fed off to Cats players in better positions throughout the 80-minute hitout.

Sam Simpson showed positive signs he is beginning to get back to the type of football that earnt him a spot in Geelong’s grand final team in 2020, with his sharpness and lateral movement both back.

Another father-son Cat, Oscar Brownless, continued his recent run of good form, having put in a chunk of games playing close to his best football.

Brownless once again looked strong in the contest and showed a nice turn of foot.

Max Holmes and Francis Evans both played their roles well while key forward Josh Jenkins played a selfless game, pushing up as a high forward at times to help his younger teammates.

Ben Jarvis kicked four goals and Shannon Neale took several strong contested marks, while ruckman Darcy Fort was a dominant presence all game.

Most of Miers work is pushing up the ground he doesnt really play as a pure small forward, think you can cover that with Menegola/Parfitt/Higgins off a flank.

As you say, Miers is a terrific two way runner who also kicks goals. Apart from Issac Smith, not many in our team provide this. I think his pressure is what really makes him a valuable commodity. Particularly when it gets in stoppage time where he is still running his guts out.

Ordinarily, a like for like may have been young Simpson, but he's obviously injured so it does impact the team marginally from here on in.

Good luck on the weekend. If the wind comes howling out of Antarctica it will be a lot closer than people think. It is one of the few grounds where you can have a five goal advantage due to the conditions.

I suspect we will be on your tail (ha ha) until three quarter time, and then run out of legs. We have literally travelled from one end of the country and side to side in the last three weeks.

I see a lot of similarity in North's methodology and Geelong's. Controlling the ball, marking and moving it around until an opening occurs; then bang.

Looking forward to seeing how the lads go against one of the benchmark teams.

Cheers
Predicting a mild northerly breeze. Maybe a shower or two.

146 pt win incoming. Am getting on the piss already.

Unlikely. Although if North Melbourne drop the bundle and have a really bad week anything's possible.

People talk a lot about top teams having an off week, but surely bottom eight teams are just as likely to have a week where they're much worse than their average.

As you say, Miers is a terrific two way runner who also kicks goals. Apart from Issac Smith, not many in our team provide this. I think his pressure is what really makes him a valuable commodity. Particularly when it gets in stoppage time where he is still running his guts out.

Ordinarily, a like for like may have been young Simpson, but he's obviously injured so it does impact the team marginally from here on in.

Simpson apparently played well in a VFL practice match on the weekend...whether hes match fit for an AFL game I dont know..

Fantasy Question: Did O'Connor tag last week? (he had large CBA numbers again with henderson back in the side) Do people think he will tag again this week against north?

Thanks

I'm going to back my call. North will rest Cunnington, Goldy Hall and play kids. Duncan and JC to be surprise late ins. Sav hawk and Cameron all kick 10 and Toohey nails a torp from the centre square that goes through half way up the goal posts. Did I mention I was starting early.
On the stupidity table I raise you a Kolodjashnij to kick the first goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back