Autopsy North v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez these guys played like they've never played a competitive game together as a group, were short on talent and experience on every line and were being instructed by a coaching group that has only been around for two and a half months. Very surprising outcome!
My exact thoughts as well. You can't rush time. Let them develop together and build their confidence first. This playing list has had 3 senior coaches in 2 years and had to deal with the frequent changes with covid.

Its pleasing to see guys like Stephenson, Simpkin, LDU and Thomas leading our midfield after years of old heads Cunnington, Ziebell, Higgins etc. Powell, Lazzaro and Phillips all look like they'll have AFL careers as well so I think if we give it some time, we're on the right track. Realistically we probably need to find around a third of our 22 and so aiming for X number of wins misses the point. Obviously its professional sport and everyone needs to be competitive but I'm looking more for young players standing up and taking ownership of their roles and the development of those intangibles like team chemistry.

It was clear on TV that Sugar puts speed and pressure onto contests which we were missing last year. He’s been out for a long time so I will reassess after Good Friday.

Couldn’t fault his endeavors on two running, applied pressure and generated shots on goal.

Obviously needs to be more accurate with his kicking for goal though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well after a big night and fresh watch on tv, these are my thoughts;

The first half was actually pretty reasonable and we should have been up a few goals at half time. Should have been taking confidence into the second half.
- Turner fluffed two very easy gets, J Walker 1 soda, Cam and Curtis had gettable opportunities too
- We didnt have an issues creating scoring opportunities and did well out of the centre with Goldy, Jy and LDU
- LDU - looked great, Tom Powell looked good

The second half, the wheels fell off immediately in Q3;
- Skills started to get exposed
- Hawks more organised forward and back
- We missed Tarrant down back - BMac and Corr not yet ready to lose Tarrant
- Larkey off early in the 3rd - Big Tom not up to it and no real structure to my eye. Forward line needs structure work big time
- Dom Tyson persisted well and deserves another crack, only 27 could help with experience and can kick goals from the midfield
- Goldstein out of the ruck didn't look good, He also missed an easy mark in front for goal that compounded the move.
Q4 - better with the breeze again missed some easy goal opportunities
- would have liked to see Phillips and Spicer for a full half

Overall;
- The backline needs Tarrant but more so needs time to learn to play as a unit. Jack still learning his role, its only his first game - I wouldn't be surprised to see him back forward with JWalker down back or at least split it.
- We can't play this many new faces at once all year - all our experience coming back and utilising Tyson and Walker to reduce over exposure would be wise.
- Our forward line might need Jack directing traffic more than our back line.
- I don't think Larkey or Tom in the ruck is a goer - try what you like but its no good.
- skill errors resulting in turn overs killed us all day. They must have scored a ton just on silly turnovers

We won two quarters, got game time into a lot of youngsters, we have a lot of experience to come back in. We need that experience in or we will have 200 scored against us in top 4 oppo games.

Not a disaster but lots of work to do. We were better than last week.

We tried lots of things in this game - most didn't work in my opinion, I hope the coaches agree on some of them
- No Tom Campbell selection in the first but ok back-up for Goldie injury.
- No Larkey in the ruck outside forward 50
- Set a time frame for Jack to explore back or split his time with JWalker pending match-ups etc (my preferred)
- Zurhaar needs a clear role given to him
- I think Tom Powell has earned a round 1 spot, Philips and Lazzaro to earn their way in.
- We need our experience players playing or we will be killed.
- Jy and LDU looking ok with Goldie, add Cunners, Polec, Dumont, Hall, Anderson around them and we will be stronger through the core.
- Tarrant down back is so important - backs needs time to find chemistry but should be ok before long.

Last edited:
Couldn’t fault his endeavors on two running, applied pressure and generated shots on goal.

Obviously needs to be more accurate with his kicking for goal though.

that goes for our entire fwd line bar larkey ( and BBB was great set shot as well) .

way to often our forwards miss the easiest set shots only for the play to rebound up other end for a 2 goal turnaround. JZ and Goldy when he has pushed down have been among the biggest culprits of late, that one Goldy missed a while back 15 meters out directly in front, i mean really? Johnny Howard put in a better effort bowling over in India that that effort.

Yes Yes Yes Tyson is the best. I'm happy with today's game.
The coaches but Noble are in the panic room after half time. no organization and target.
Noble will be isolated soon and other assistants will be "whatever" persons. waste another year.

jilDxwb.gif

Anywho...

Well that sucked the big ones, absolute tripe. The Hawks are bottom four bound and they poleaxed us.

Our movement of the ball into the forward line was abysmal, our backline non existent. our midfield did ok which was a positive. We seemed off the pace and did not generate nearly as much run as I would have liked.

nothing much to be positive about and on today's showing. I'm looking through the fixture for a win. Tarrant, Cunners, Polec, Anderson & Perez will make a massive difference of course. Although Tarrant and Cunners both lack a yard, so I can't see us playing Tarrant, Walker, McKay, Goldy, JZ, Tyson and Cunners in the same side ever.

I'm nowhere near as bullish on Tyson and Walker as some seem to be. Both will be found severely wanting against opposition that isn't bottom four. And just to add salt to an already festering wound, Jacob Koschitzke kicked six goals and it's his first pre season as a forward. Hasn't played an AFL game as yet. Lordy me , this is as bad as it gets.

Well until Port Adelaide gut us like a fish rd 1. But this is pain we've put off for years and if incompetence won you flags we'd have been unbackable favorites every single ******* year for a very long time.

Onwards and upwards and fwiw , I wouldn't be looking at the win/loss column in season 2021. I'll be focusing elsewhere.

that goes for our entire fwd line bar larkey ( and BBB was great set shot as well) .

way to often our forwards miss the easiest set shots only for the play to rebound up other end for a 2 goal turnaround. JZ and Goldy when he has pushed down have been among the biggest culprits of late, that one Goldy missed a while back 15 meters out directly in front, i mean really? Johnny Howard put in a better effort bowling over in India that that effort.

You’d struggle to find someone who disagrees with you there.

I feel like outside of a few outliers like Shannon Grant we’ve been diabolical in front of the big sticks since the 1998 GF.

Ha yes True to a point , three of them have made a GF since us. we haven't finished H&A in the top 4 in over twenty years. And now we're starting from scratch and fyi that's the correct thing to be doing.
Turn it up Kingy, 2007

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People saying it’s only a practice match when players can’t kick or handball to a target must be saying the same thing at training too? Oh it’s just training, no need to display basic skills or general footy smarts, we’ll be right when the real stuff rolls along.

Absolutely delusional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn it up Kingy, 2007

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah for some reason completely wiped 2007. I was though looking back, thinking we were a sniff at 3 qtr time against the cats and Port. Well I mean if someone said we'd either win both from 3 qtr time or the JunkYard Dog would be happiest in a skirt. I'd have put a s**t tonne of money on us winning from the unwinnable position.

1615077172587.png

1615077281367.png

Looks like it’s a possibility. And I might be in the minority but I’d say this would be unacceptable. Good clubs don’t accept it. Rebuilding is fine but there should be hope and a clear upward trajectory. Hawthorn is rebuilding as well and with no top picks either yet they already look 2 years ahead of us

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. Being preseason I still take my high doses of hopium.

However I struggle to pick two teams which would finish the season below us.

Phillips found it easy to get into the game when he came on. Suspect he’ll start the year in the vfl but it won’t take him long to get a game in the seniors.

I was pleasantly surprised given the club had been trying to temper our expectations. I suspect his biggest issue may be conditioning, having gone from no football for a year straight into an interrupted preseason.

He certainly didn't look that far off being AFL ready. Hopefully after a month of conditioning in the VFL he becomes a permanent fixture in the seniors.

I was pleasantly surprised given the club had been trying to temper our expectations. I suspect his biggest issue may be conditioning, having gone from no football for a year straight into an interrupted preseason.

He certainly didn't look that far off being AFL ready. Hopefully after a month of conditioning in the VFL he becomes a permanent fixture in the seniors.
So you are saying more Shopping for a month and then he’s in?

People saying it’s only a practice match when players can’t kick or handball to a target must be saying the same thing at training too? Oh it’s just training, no need to display basic skills or general footy smarts, we’ll be right when the real stuff rolls along.

Absolutely delusional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's not the scoreline that worries me as much as getting the basics wrong......that just doesn't disappear.

From my perspective, yesterday, disappointing as it probably was to most here, it turned out to be what I expected from a team that finished 17th last year, had a massive turnover of players in the off season and is clearly now in a rebuilding phase. Prior to yesterday my view was that we are a bottom three side, maybe even the spoon is on the near horizon, but not all doom and gloom.

Firstly we were without Taz, Froggy, Cunners, Jed and Polec. All in our top 10 players. The Hawks were missing Mitchell, O'Meara, Gunston and Breust. All in their top 10 players. (Someone suggested that Mitchell Lewis was a big miss for the Hawks, but not yet in my view) Irrespective, we were probably a little worse off talent/experience wise.

But I was pleased with everyone of our inclusions. In alphabetic order all of AB (or should he be known as the "The Skipper" because his name is too hard to pronounce), Corr, Lazzaro, Phillips, Powell, Spicer, Stephenson and Young did some useful/good things during their varying times on the ground. Powell and Stepho probably the best of those. It was a very different side yesterday that ran out and it does take time to gel. No doubt the Hawks are entitled to say the same of course, however some of their inclusions performed exceptionally well.

People have criticised Ziebs for his performance, but I'm not too fussed about his first up performance off half back. He had more possessions than he has had in a game for a long time and I think this could become a very smart move as he learns to play an entirely different game to what he has been used to.

Dom Tyson and Josh Walker were very good in their roles. LDU showed he is not far off being a cut or too above the rest. Good to see Sugar and Curtis back on the field after long absences. Tom Campbell was quite good in the short time he was on the ground, though hard to see him getting many games.

On the negative side, Goldy had one of his worst games in a long time, while Zurhaar does not seem to have kicked on from 2019, when on occasions he threatened to turn on some big performances.

Our disposal was very wayward as well, which made it much easier for the Hawks to counter attack on turnover. Lets hope that is an area we work hard on.

In the coaching box we have Blakey, Roos and Gavin Brown supporting Noble. Some shrewd heads in that lot, who will, I hope, help us to learn and develop.

Hard and all as it will be to watch, 3-5 wins this year is my expectation, but next year we might start to take some steps.

Why are you apologising? Is it your fault we lost?

Because I didn't want to say we were that bad.

But we were.

I went to watch the replay today but honestly couldn't be bothered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back