Autopsy North v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh was in the league's top ten contested marks last year, his great (only?) skill. He ain't a forward but would be a good/handy backman year in year out.

It is an interesting decision where to play him. He plays all year down back and he will be high in the BF at the end of the year.

But is it better for the development of the team if he plays forward?

He and Taz are getting to the end of their careers so do they play forward?
Walker plays forward

Glass half full on a Monday comment... The addition of Tarrant and Cunnington will have a massive effect structurally. Also, Goldstein might as well have stayed at home on Saturday. Best that can be said is that he needed the run. Walker will definitely have to start up forward initially or our youth will have zero to anchor on up forward. A fit Garner would help immensely. Then, there’s Polec and Jed...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Glass half full on a Monday comment... The addition of Tarrant and Cunnington will have a massive effect structurally. Also, Goldstein might as well have stayed at home on Saturday. Best that can be said is that he needed the run. Walker will definitely have to start up forward initially or our youth will have zero to anchor on up forward. A fit Garner would help immensely. Then, there’s Polec and Jed...

I like the optimism.
But its fair to assume we will have players out/underdone all year.
Our depth is terrible

I like the optimism.
But its fair to assume we will have players out/underdone all year.
Our depth is terrible
It couldn't be otherwise - we cleared out 'depth' players (Williams, Pittard, Wood etc etc) to make room for the rebuild. Can't have cake and eat it too ....

It couldn't be otherwise - we cleared out 'depth' players (Williams, Pittard, Wood etc etc) to make room for the rebuild. Can't have cake and eat it too ....
yep.
Im just a bit tired already of the injury list BS peeps quote in here.
Every team has injuries. every week.
Its a bit like blaiming the umpires.
Peeps be acting like Essendon supporters.

yep.
Im just a bit tired already of the injury list BS peeps quote in here.
Every team has injuries. every week.
Its a bit like blaiming the umpires.
Peeps be acting like Essendon supporters.

Agree. However, when the real stuff starts, I would expect us to never take the field with a completely unbalanced team like on Saturday. At the game, I counted only 2 occasions that our defence managed to repel an I50 without conceding a score. That sort of return can only end in a flogging. Our backline structure was non-existent. Noble would never set up like that in the H/A season - you’d have to think. Tyson was the only experienced hand in the middle. No surprise, he was the steadiest player there. I won’t be surprised if we go through the season, more or less winless. Equally, however, I wouldn’t be surprised if we perform far better.

I like the idea of walker forward to support larkey, as much as I love the way Cam goes about it he isnt consistent enough to be that second big forward to support Larkey. I fear if Cam goes missing the opposition KPDs will monster Larkey out of the game. Not sure how far off Comben is and Xerri is IMO an unknown quantity up forward. I know we cant plug every hole in one trade period so looking forward to the recruitment team taking a look at any key forwards that might be available come next trade to support Souva.

Agree. However, when the real stuff starts, I would expect us to never take the field with a completely unbalanced team like on Saturday. At the game, I counted only 2 occasions that our defence managed to repel an I50 without conceding a score. That sort of return can only end in a flogging. Our backline structure was non-existent. Noble would never set up like that in the H/A season - you’d have to think. Tyson was the only experienced hand in the middle. No surprise, he was the steadiest player there. I won’t be surprised if we go through the season, more or less winless. Equally, however, I wouldn’t be surprised if we perform far better.

Yeah....as much as we have faith in the talent available the reality is most of these guys havent played alot of footy together and those that have are in some cases playing out of position and learning new roles.....will take some time to gel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you add Cunnington, Simpkin and Anderson in the mid also as our A mids then alternate Thomas, Dumont, Stephenson, Powell and Philllips l think we dont look all that bad....

As much as this is a joke, I think Boomer would probably average 15-20 possies and 2 goals today. The guy just knew how to impact.

Boomer kicks both those simple goals Turner missed.

Fact.

Thoughts on Corr?

Our whole backline didn’t have a great day.

It’s a combination of factors for mine, predominantly due to a lack of chemistry of playing together... balance of talls/small, understanding how each other play (strengths/weaknesses), ball use coming out of defensive 50 etc.

Our turn overs really turned the heat up on our back 6. Corr and others suffered as a result, and will continue to if we do not clean up our disposal.

If we want to pot blokes in isolation, we could say that Corr was underwhelming, sure. But it’s bigger then just him.

There's a lot of hand wringing after two practice matches, which I don't quite get. As I see the overall landscape:

1. We have an exciting group of largely unproven and/or still developing talent who could be the core of a good side (LDU, Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar, Scott, Taylor, Thomas, probably one or two more)

2. we successfully added to that group at the last draft (Powell looks ready to go, Phillips and Lazzaro both look quality ball users from a small sample)

3. we are very reliant on a small number of experienced players, all of whom are nearer the end than the beginning, a couple of whom may be increasingly injury prone. If they miss, we're in trouble, but it's a risk that had to be taken, because we couldn't clean out the 'depth' group last year and claim to be rebuilding too

4. We still have problems with list structure. The two obvious ones are: KP depth, where the four developing tall are either still cementing spots (Larkey and McKay) or injured (Comben and Xerri), and; small forwards. Kayne is the only proven performer, but needs to add score board impact to his defensive work; Mahoney probably isn't quick enough for the role long-term, and Spicer is exciting, but at this stage, high-risk from a physical point of view. Going forward, you'd think these two areas would be FA priorities

5. A new coaching regime has committed to a new game plan, which the group are struggling to implement.

None of this is going to get fixed in one pre-season, nor can all of it be fixed even this year, so I find some of the more personal attacks on players and coach a bit hard to fathom.

I rewatched the game fairly closely.

Perhaps I wasn’t harsh enough on JZ.

Forget the turnovers for a minute

Was on a Kosi for most of the day and swapped into Nash for times when Corr was covering for him when he was further up the ground.

Was trailing Kosi in by about 10 meters for 5 of his goals. Kosi beat Corr in a one-on-one for the other.

Nash kicked one on Ziebell for good measure also, again trailing in by about 10 meters.

Diabolical defending doesn’t begin to describe it on rewatch. Had 6 directly kicked on him by an untried kid and a bog average Irish forward.

I rewatched the game fairly closely.

Perhaps I wasn’t harsh enough on JZ.

Forget the turnovers for a minute

Was on a Kosi for most of the day and swapped into Nash for times when Corr was covering for him when he was further up the ground.

Was trailing Kosi in by about 10 meters for 5 of his goals. Kosi beat Corr in a one-on-one for the other.

Nash kicked one on Ziebell for good measure also, again trailing in by about 10 meters.

Diabolical defending doesn’t begin to describe it on rewatch. Had 6 directly kicked on him by an untried kid and a bog average Irish forward.

And dropping his feet as soon there is a contest. He takes 5 seconds to get back up and before he does that, all the players are gone.

He’s not a defender. I’ve seen enough

Will try to reserve judgement on gameplan, coaching and general development until mid-season.

Tyson put together a good outing but it has to be tempered against the opposition.

I thought Campbell was better than is being made out. His trademark physicality actually had some effect and he was bouncing around like a very heavy acrobat.

I know there's all the managing loads thing, but really would've like seeing Spicer on when the game was fresh. A la Brockman for the hawks.

I'm still confused why Atu is being trialled in defence when we are screaming for opportunistic crumbed.

Walker was very good.

Youngsters mostly did something each to show incremental progress.

The standout negative at the ground was the difference between teams in either ability or willingness to run hard. At any given point either team would win possession, look up and see 3-4 hawks in the vicinity. There were a number of times Hawthorn would run the ball and their own teammate would reach them for the hands off before we closed in.

At this stage we'll put it down to everyone's "newness". But endurance and effort are available to any players to train for and it was clear on the day the hawks were prepared to run harder. Hopefully we see progressive improvement as a team in this area each season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back