Autopsy North v Hawthorn post match thread. - Rd 3, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if this has been posted previously but here is an interesting little stat. At least I find it interesting.:)

In our first 47 years in the VFL/AFL (1925-1972) we spent just 4 weeks on top of the table and 197 weeks on the bottom of the table.
In our second 47 years (1973-2019) we spent 65 weeks on top of the table and 15 weeks on the bottom of the table. 8 of those weeks were in a single season, 1984.

The lack of action from Brad Scott and the other members of the coaching staff and selection committee to the first two weeks poor performances suggests to me that there is a strong possibility that the 15 weeks could be doubled again this season.

Surely after the impotent performance, especially from our midfield, changes will be made for this weekends game.

Our coaching masterminds decided he was better off hiding forward.
We didn’t want his skill level and decision making to humiliate the other boys.
* I read this and immediately thought of that thing U9 coaches do when they have a physically superior player who knocks all the other kids over and runs 100m to kick a goal with 21 players trailling him in the first quarter, so they make him play full back or back pocket for the rest of the game so it doesn't embarrass the other kids and gives the other team a fighting chance

• A talented Midfield who couldn't convincingly beat a severely undermanned Hawthorn
  • Defense which still doesn't know how to adapt to 6-6-6 (plus injuries)
  • And a forward line... actually there is no forward line atm
I always expected a slow start bc of all the new faces and geling issues but not this...

I don't know if this has been posted previously but here is an interesting little stat. At least I find it interesting.:)

In our first 47 years in the VFL/AFL (1925-1972) we spent just 4 weeks on top of the table and 197 weeks on the bottom of the table.
In our second 47 years (1973-2019) we spent 65 weeks on top of the table and 15 weeks on the bottom of the table. 8 of those weeks were in a single season, 1984.

The lack of action from Brad Scott and the other members of the coaching staff and selection committee to the first two weeks poor performances suggests to me that there is a strong possibility that the 15 weeks could be doubled again this season.

Surely after the impotent performance, especially from our midfield, changes will be made for this weekends game.

But , I thought that’s what we wanted... Either we finish last or win the flag...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can someone photoshop the scene from titanic and have brad taking up the whole raft while the club drowns

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

JMAC intercepted alright yesterday, but his turnovers are ******* killing us.

Another 6 yesterday, clear #1 in turnovers this year competition wide.

Our forward line is so laughably s**t, as has been said, we had Pruess sitting there for 2 years and Brad flat out refused to play a second ruckman, even as a forward. Now he trades him he decides to go all in on this strategy?

I don't mind Campbell, he's an honest trier, probably in the Daniel Currie mould, but for god sake, we pick up a ruckman from the scrap heap from a side with barely any ruck stocks and decide he's going to replace Waite when we had a 20 year old who led the VFL goal kicking last year? I mean?!?

If we are going to develop, give Larkey 10+ games to learn what it takes to beat an AFL opponent.

Get Campbell back to the reserves (Where we have no ruckman!) which will asisst in the development of the younger midfielders playing with correct structure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to defend the coach however the simple reason he didn't play Preuss was that he had Waite and Daw.

Both of them provided options from kick outs and also Waite provided the extra tall in the forward line (as well as defensive pressure).

Without Waite and Daw the cupboard is bare, and despite his shortcomings at a minimum Campbell at least provides a physical presence and I think has done ok in the ruck. I'm certainly happier for him to be there rather than Brown.

I don't have the answer, maybe playing Larkey should be playing but perhaps in place of Wood, as at this stage he simply doesn't have the physical presence to fill that role.

The other glaring issue is we don't have any small forwards so when the ball hits the ground we are horribly exposed.

I expect Brad to be belligerent at selection because he was challenged on it.

We already know the reality here.

There will not be sweeping changes. There may be some tweaking round the edges.

At the very most I think 3 changes.

I expect something like

Out - Campbell, Thomas,???

In - Hrovat, Larkey, Anderson

Ahern to pay VFL

No changes make much difference.

KPBs are under done or young, our Full back needs probably another month to come good.
HB are not damaging or clean enough to execute what we're attempting.
Mids - lack defensive pressure or a real ability to get on top in the middle
Rucks - Honestly Goldy probably needs Campbell in the side. Was on the bench for chunks yesterday.
HF - hahahahahaha
FF - Brown is a quality footballer who has very little help.
Small forwards - not creative, not quick in fact Hrovat probably has better forward craft than those currently playing in the ones, but he's slow and a hack.

There is no one screaming in the VFL for selection.

Highly touted guys:
Wood - lol needs probably 2 months of consistent VFL performances to relearn how to football.
Anderson - straight back in when fit.
Ahern - who f***ing knows
Wright - back in when fit, probably a solid 6 weeks away from meaningful AFL
Murphy - cleaner off HB but less defensive, could get a run, doubt we'd drop the required players to do it.
Larkey - undersized we should just commit to playing him. Brown needs him to hit 50-70 games asap.

Garner - cooked, in the football sense, probably in the revolver sense if rumors on here are correct. Recent photos from north and the bloke looked like he hadn't slept in a fortnight.
Jacobs - do we even actually know what's wrong with him?

We failing in the seniors and we've created a situation where there is 4/5ths of f*** all to draw on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to defend the coach however the simple reason he didn't play Preuss was that he had Waite and Daw.

Both of them provided options from kick outs and also Waite provided the extra tall in the forward line (as well as defensive pressure).

Without Waite and Daw the cupboard is bare, and despite his shortcomings at a minimum Campbell at least provides a physical presence and I think has done ok in the ruck. I'm certainly happier for him to be there rather than Brown.

I don't have the answer, maybe playing Larkey should be playing but perhaps in place of Wood, as at this stage he simply doesn't have the physical presence to fill that role.

The other glaring issue is we don't have any small forwards so when the ball hits the ground we are horribly exposed.
I agree with every word of this. The small forward issue is a killer. Charlie Cameron, Breust and Wingard have slaughtered us on the scoreboard, whilst we praise our small forwards for laying 3 tackles and kicking a goal a fortnight. I miss Lindsay...

It should be mentioned here.

Tom Scully was interested in coming to us last year. But failed a medical with us....yet came back to play round 2 for the hawks.

If that isn’t an indictment on our medical staff then I don’t know what is.

Could sure use his skills off half back right now.

List management weren’t keen either because they thought Tyson was better for team balance...yeah because we needed another slow inside mid.

**** me.

Happy to back our medical staff in based on how they have managed to turn around Higgo's injury plagued career before he came to us and a few others.

Of course the reason Daw didn't play before that was because we had Petrie & Waite. I think it's reasonable to say that we appear to have a serious issue identifying capability and getting it into the team because we are very, very conservative with dropping senior players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what i would go with from here on:

Pittard Tarrant Daw/Thompson (Pending availability)
Murphy(EVW) Mckay Polec
Scott LDU Dumont
Ahern Larkey Thomas
Ziebell Brown Simpkin
Goldstein Cunnington Higgins

Anderson
Walker
Williams
Turner

Its time to put a line through the following:
Macmillan
Atley
Mcdonald

Not one of them have improved in their time on the NMFC list.

It should be embarrassing for Macmillan that Pittard is already more important to us than he is. Ship him off.

Highlight of the game today was rescuing a seagull stuck behind the back seats of the Ponsford.
What was Heppell doing in the Ponsford Stand?
So Brad doesn't want to name the under performers, MM nails him saying that if he drops anyone on Thursday he is effectively naming them regardless. Brad can't even get a win in the press conference. :stern look
Great, now he's not going to drop anyone just so he can win a presser.

Rhyce Shaw won the AFLCA assistant of the year at Sydney last year and Tudor has obviously been lauded for quite a number of years.

I don't think the quality in difference is that much.

It's the direction from the top.

The chip/chip over possess game plan is absolute ******* garbage, with a team traditionally high with turnovers.

This is the list of AFLCA Assistant winners - interestingly no one from Clarkos group of assistants and Clarko has never won the AFLCA Coach of the Year either

Winners

2018 Rhyce Shaw (SYDNEY SWANS)
2017 Rhyce Shaw (Sydney Swans)
2016 Stuart Dew (Sydney Swans)
2015 Adam Kingsley (St Kilda)
2014 Brett Montgomery (Western Bulldogs)
2013 Robert Harvey (Collingwood)
2012 Peter Sumich (Fremantle)
2011 Darren Crocker (North Melbourne)
2010 Brendan McCartney (Geelong Cats)
2009 Mark Riley (Carlton)
2008 Tony Elshaug (St Kilda)
2007 Tony Micale (West Coast Eagles)
2006 John Longmire (Sydney Swans)
2005 Robert Wiley (West Coast Eagles)
2004 Phil Walsh (Dec.) (Port Adelaide)
2003 Neil Craig (Adelaide Crows)

Anyway just raising the question about the assistants

In Brad Scotts time has anyone left the North coaching panel to go onto a Senior or a Senior Assistant role at another club

Do you actually know if your assistants are any good.

One thing I do think is often missed when assessing the Brad Scott era is that if Ben Brown kicks straight in the first half of the 2015 Prelim then you are playing in the Grand Final. And that's certainly wasn't the fault of the coaches

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season, hope you beat plenty of teams but not us

Just waiting for the audio and I will post. Kingy had a crack.

Probably won't get posted due to Whately dedicating half the segment to Carlton.

I literally despise that devious little prick.

I want to know whats gone wrong with Jacks goal kicking, he before last season he was one of our most reliable. Now he's lucky to hit his boot.

It's confidence.

Jlt doesn’t mean s**t. It’s 3 loses and we weren’t that bad in the JLT.

Compare that to last year where Melbourne and Richmond flogged us in both games and the season proper was a different story to how our year went

In the JLT we played like the last 3 quarters against Hawthorn. It was scrambling and scrapping to stop the scoreboard blowing out, but never really in the hunt. We lacked composure and system with no real run or overlap despite recruiting for it, poor forward entries. Ill give the backline some slack in the JLT.

Tbh we werent arrtrocious Vs Hawthorn, composure is the word that sticks out for mine. Only a handful of players display it, thankfully one is LDU who shows potential. But ill save the LDU (or anyone for that matter)gushing for when we're a real top 4 side, until then everyone must improve.

Petracca?
**** I read this and immediately thought of that thing U9 coaches do when they have a physically superior player who knocks all the other kids over and runs 100m to kick a goal with 21 players trailling him in the first quarter, so they make him play full back or back pocket for the rest of the game so it doesn't embarrass the other kids and gives the other team a fighting chance

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is what i would go with from here on:

Pittard Tarrant Daw/Thompson (Pending availability)
Murphy(EVW) Mckay Polec
Scott LDU Dumont
Ahern Larkey Thomas
Ziebell Brown Simpkin
Goldstein Cunnington Higgins

Anderson
Walker
Williams
Turner

Its time to put a line through the following:
Macmillan
Atley
Mcdonald

Not one of them have improved in their time on the NMFC list.

It should be embarrassing for Macmillan that Pittard is already more important to us than he is. Ship him off.

Statistically Pittard and JMac have been been very close, only Pittard ranks as one the leagues elite in rebound 50s. Never understood why he became a whipping boy so quickly, maybe because he was steak knives and a poor season previous.

Statistically Pittard and JMac have been been very close, only Pittard ranks as one the leagues elite in rebound 50s. Never understood why he became a whipping boy so quickly, maybe because he was steak knives and a poor season previous.
Out of our back 6 who would you want the kicking the ball currently?
Sure as well isn't the Mc brothers or Marley for that matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back