Autopsy North v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Some really pleasing signs from some young players.

I am a lot more bullish on Durdin than most in here. Looked a lot better this week and will can only get better with game time and confidence. I would persevere, KPD's don't grow on trees.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No - but grass grows faster than Durdin’s sense of urgency. He also really lacks awareness. He’s clearly behind Tarrant, Walker, McKay and Majak IMO. I think he’s vying with EVW, who hasn’t yet had time to prove himself.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Fagan was asked about the key position forward rumours today.

He said nothing to deny rumours that they are after a Daniher or BBB.

McStay and Hipwood aren't taking them to a flag and Fagan knows it - Daniher and BBB may not either but the Lions will be up to their necks in both these names come trade week.
Bit more context:

Screenshot_20200815-184415.png

Why was Xerri’s tackle a Brisbane free yet the same thing happened at the start of the game and it was called play on?
You have to ask?

Well, in a word: The maggots pay whatever they want to whoever they want for anything they want to see and the AFL gives them the OK to do it by changing the way they interpret rules from week to week, match to match, sometimes even from quarter to quarter. And they just make s**t up.

Tracker watch: McKay, Mahoney and Scott the top 3 distances covered of all players on the field.

Impressive efforts. Mahoney has looked absolutely buggered last few weeks but keeps pushing through and presenting to be an outlet from the backline. I admire his mental strength given how young and inexperienced he is.

Do you have those stats for first half? Would love to see Will Walker. Looks like a genuine 2 way runner. Big upside.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was probably the best result for us possible - the team played pretty well, the effort was there all game, had some chances to win it even, but in the end still have the number 2 pick for the taking.

Wood has exhausted all his chances I reckon, if there is anyone else fit, I doubt we see him again. And boy, we won't miss him based on today's showing.

McDonald added some intercept marking in place of Tarrant. I thought in his absence we were going to get smashed, but they held up pretty well.

Durdin and Murphy weren't really noticeable, maybe a few more games for them to see if they can secure their spots.

Such a shame for Will Walker to get injured, don't rush him back this season, just get him ready for next season. he probably isn't 100% fit yet, but still gives his all.

LDU showed more great signs, that pass to Larkey was amazing. Like I said in the game day thread though, it was a shame when he marked it on the 50 and handed off to Atley (and Atley, predictably, turned it over). That'll come though, next year he'll be taking the responsibility himself, its clear he's one of our best at delivering inside 50 already.
I thought Murphy was great.

Really pleased for Shawry. A ballsy call at the selection table that should have sent chills through Scott’s favourites. LDU maturing like a good wine. Anderson just keeps on giving. Bailey is going to be special. Zurhaar fought himself into the game. LMac has found something but I was a bit concerned early on with his kicking. BMac is settling nicely. EVW is a welcome return- calm and intelligent. I wonder whether Mason Wood just isn’t smart. Seems to have learnt nothing about the intensity needed to be a decent AFL player. I still think Higgins may be carrying a niggling injury. Seems to be lacking some spark but is still busting a gut.

Last edited:
The supporters seem to be as lippy as their team. I’d wait until I did something, but that’s just me.
Just like Cameron, how cocky was he, took a decent mark where he always had best position, over a young player returning from injury, got in his face, then missed a simple set shot, what a clown

Played a top 4 side, lose by a point.

If Tarrant plays instead of Durdin, we win.
If Thomas plays instead of Mahony, we win.
If MacMillan plays instead of Williams, we win.
If Cunnington plays instead of anyone, we win.
If I play instead of Wood, we smash them.
Thought Williams did a great job on Cameron. Doesn't deserve to be on the plebs list.

Just like Cameron, how cocky was he, took a decent mark where he always had best position, over a young player returning from injury, got in his face, then missed a simple set shot, what a clown
To quote Bob Hudson in the Newcastle Song, "Don't you ever let a chance go by."

I think that was just about the only mark Cameron took for the game and almost his only possession. If he didn't get lippy then when would he have?

To quote Bob Hudson in the Newcastle Song, "Don't you ever let a chance go by."

I think that was just about the only mark Cameron took for the game and almost his only possession. If he didn't get lippy then when would he have?
He should save it for the Hunter Street Mall!

Two big blokes, Larky and McKay, continue to impress. Onballers are a dime a dozen but you become a good side with bookends. Nick L had a great first quarter but was owned by the All Australian full back (Andrews) in the second half but it augers well for two years time. BBB on the lead while Nick does what Oscar Mac does for Brisbane.

McKay must play on a key forward for the rest of the year. It may mean that my favourite player has to play out of his position i.e. forward but its development that is the issue for North. If Tarrant come back next week Josh Walker should be told he is a lock for next year but McKay's development is more important for the rest of the season. Josh should go forward.

Key positions are the only really accountable positions left in footy and so its important that a bad quarter, say a bloke kicking a few in a quarter on Ben doesn't mean that Walker comes to relieve him.

Issue: Goldy cannot come up next year. What is in the pipeline?
The midfield has been hammered with Cunnington out, who will be the most decisive factor for us in there in 2021.

If he is fit, then he gives us the strength, vision & confidence for our young players to shine minus the pressure. Having said that I'm pretty satisfied with what we have now, but need to use our top 2 draft picks on best available mids this year.

Goldy will go around again. He's probably the best Ruck in the competition this year and definitely top 3. We can't cover that, but then again 15 other sides can't today either, or tomorrow.

Larkey needs a foil. Hopefully Comben stays injury free for 12/18 months as he has some big upside up front. Brown won't leave for another 2 years if at all.

McKay has some potential, but I have my reservations as a pillar down back. Daw has 1/ 2 yrs, but Walker is a lock in a Talia mode.

We probably need another KPB in this next draft to sure it up down there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back