Game Day North v Port VFL practice match (THE RETURN OF COMPETITIVE FOOTY TO ARDEN STREET)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I reckon we lost by a goal or two. North kicked 6-7 points in a row in the last 10 minutes of the match and it cost the win.

- The system was a big issue, to much overuse of the ball, and going wide too often.
- Neither side used the wind well in the first half.
- Port's size gave them a large advantage early, particularly up forward.
- Umpiring was overdone.

- Joel Crocker: probably my BOG for us at half time. Classy & composed, has a lot of his old mans traits including serious footy smarts, and will definitely make it. A bit more physically advanced than I expected. He might be ready to go next year. My favorite play was when he outpositioned a Port KPF who had position and must have been giving away 10 years and 20 kgs to Joel. Joel spoiled him through out and out footy smarts. Will be Thompson's replacement.

- Thomas, worked hard early on, but clearly needs to get some more condition. Swung on to the ball in the last quarter and produced 15-20 minutes of football that was instrumental in North almost getting up. Some of his touches were sublime. Needs to play more in traffic to show his wares. Will eventually be a stoppage monster in the AFL.

- Cam Zurhaar: Slugged away as he always does, but polish let him down early on. Was instrumental with TT in dragging North back in to the game in the last quarter.

- Ahern: Nice touches in traffic and plugged away inside for most of the day. Serviceable but not overly eye catching. I reckon they're playing him in the wrong position.

- Watson, clean and crisp. Kicked 2 or 3 and loomed dangerously as a marking target all day.

- Tommy Murphy: Very solid all day, kicked a nice goal. Definitely in the best playing in a very undersized back line.

- Hayden: Worked in to the game, did a few nice things, but clearly needs more miles.

- Red Og: (Edit) Played half back/back pocket and provided dash and run. Drifted out a bit and still needs time and some size. Did one or two courageous acts too..

Last edited:

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon we lost by a goal or two.

- The system was a big issue, to much overuse of the ball, and going wide too often.

- Joel Crocker: probably my BOG for us at half time. Classy & composed, has a lot of his old mans traits including serious footy smarts, and will definitely make it. A bit more physically advanced than I expected. He might be ready to go next year. My favorite play was when he outpositioned a Port KPF who had position and must have been giving away 10 years and 20 kgs to Joel. Joel spoiled him through out and out footy smarts. Will be Thompson's replacement.

- Thomas, worked hard early on, but clearly needs to get some more condition. Swung on to the ball in the last quarter and produced 15-20 minutes of football that was instrumental in North almost getting up. Some of his touches were sublime. Needs to play more in traffic to show his wares. Will eventually be a stoppage monster in the AFL.

- Cam Zurhaar: Slugged away as he always does, but polish let him down early on. Was instrumental with TT in dragging North back in to the game in the last quarter.

- Ahern: Nice touches in traffic and plugged away inside for most of the day. Serviceable but not overly eye catching. I reckon they're playing him in the wrong position.

- Watson, clean and crisp. Kicked 2 or 3 and loomed dangerously as a marking target all day.

- Tommy Murphy: Very solid all day, kicked a nice goal. Definitely in the best playing in a very undersized back line.

- Hayden: Worked in to the game, did a few nice things, but clearly needs more miles.

- Red Og: Slogged away in the ruck pretty much single handedly and was far from disgraced. He'll take a while but there's something to work with there. Xerri has competition.
Trd

- Red Og: Slogged away in the ruck pretty much single handedly and was far from disgraced. He'll take a while but there's something to work with there. Xerri has competition.
Red Óg wasn't in the ruck mate. 19, off half back.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC

Thanks for the report, mate.

But Red Og rucked? I thought he was like 180-190 cms.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Outpointwd their 6'5, 100kg FF in the goal square through smarts. Knows how to play but has a ways to go physically.

Yep, that's the one instance made me seriously sit up and take notice.

Composure, balance, class and smarts. He's a certainty.

GarnerSmash

10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Backing what Snake said re Thomas and Zurhaar in the last. They, and number 8, were the catalyst to the charge back in the last. Curtis Taylor was prominent too. Thomas looks like a thoroughbred yearling.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Trd
Red Óg wasn't in the ruck mate. 19, off half back.

Oh right, I was going to mention that kid in the non listed player. Yeah, very good early and very gutsy. Has a serious crack. Skinny as all * too.

Roostein

Senior List
Jun 23, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon we lost by a goal or two. North kicked 6-7 points in a row in the last 10 minutes of the match and it cost the win.

- Umpiring was overdone.

Awesome write up, thanks Snake.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, that's the one instance made me seriously sit up and take notice.

Composure, balance, class and smarts. He's a certainty.
My only concern is the limitations that his movement could bring. His first few steps are not great right now which is a real issue at AFL level. Everything else looks there.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Amended. Apologies.

These campaigners switching/not providing player numbers didn't help with the newer players.
Haha it's not a big deal. I actually thought I might have been wrong about his size, so was momentarily confused.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
My only concern is the limitations that his movement could bring. His first few steps are not great right now which is a real issue at AFL level. Everything else looks there.

He's not quick and never will be, but he reeks of an UBER stoppage machine. He only needs milliseconds to release a team mate in to space.

Did you see his screw back pass under full pace and pressure whilst running to the boundary in front of our club rooms with Port blokes on his hammer? That was downright ******* ELITE! I s**t you not non spectators, it was Darren Jarman good!

Start thinking Sam Mitchell mate.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's noty quick and never will be, but hee reeks of an UBER stoppage machine. He only needs milliseconds to release a team mate.

Did you see his screw back pass under full pace and pressure whilst running to the boundary in front of our club rooms?

That was downright ******* ELITE! I s**t you not non spectators, it was Darren Jarman good!
Didn't see that if it was in the first half. Did see Thomas do the same in the last though. Sploosh.
Crocks is a smart, hard and technically proficient kid though.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Didn't see that if it was in the first half. Did see Thomas do the same in the last though. Sploosh.

That's what I am talking about.

Crocks is a smart, hard and technically proficient kid though.

Hey, I will call his game style out right now. He plays like Jesse Smith.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Don't do this to me.

I'm serious mate, but note I typed "style".

Incredibly composed and smart. Plays tall also. Anyone else see a similarity?

Don't forget this kid was All Australian before getting injury issues. You can see why.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Back