Unofficial Preview North v St Kilda, round 1, 2020 (TODAY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Shaw will play Ziebs mostly midfield, as he did last year when Shaw took over.
Zurhaar has pretty much taken his role as the big strong bull, who can mark, tackle/bash people up & kick goals (Zurhaar can actually kick a set shot too) Garner also plays this role...
We have our 2 talls, with the emergence of Larkey (who will take his game to a whole new level this year IMO) & Brown. Now also with Thomas causing havoc.
There is no room for him down there apart from when he rotates with Thomas.
This is another reason why I think Turner has to play, as he is the only one who plays genuinely small in that forward line.

But he doesn’t kick goals, doesn’t seem to set many up and isn’t a great tackler due to his size. He is literally the tit on a bull.

Hoping like hell this is the year we finally move past some of these blokes.

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
Ryder is cooked.
Nice work.

Line by line saints remind me of us, a lot will depend on "which version" of some players turns up.

Ziebell comes in underdone, Geary is a professional. Which Carlisle will turn up? On his day can go toe to toe with Brown. Wilkie had a good debut season but hopefully Thomas proves too slippery.

Howard is an unknown to me and the hope would be Larkey is too strong. Roberton and Webster are both decent players capable of running off our guys if they're not respected.

In turn Garner and Zurhaar would make their lives very hard if there's volume of supply coming in.

Dumont-Ross nil all. Hill-Polec both unaccountable skillful runners - nil all. Higgins-Billings classy movers, Billings has improved his accumulation in the last year. Very even line.

Gresham too good for Luke if he gets going imo. Battle unlikely to line up forward. Atley should be able to cover Butler.

Ryder v3.0 is an unknown. Pittard and Williams will need to be on their game with Membrey and Lonie both capable of finding a decent amount of opportunity.

On paper this line in our favour but who knows. Marshall a good emerging player who gave Goldie a bit of trouble last year. Cunners a classier player than Steele but the latter a solid inside mid himself. Which Hannebery will it be? For that matter, will Jy fulfill his preseason reputation?

Clark = LDU, Jones>Hall (for reliability of result), Anderson>Dunstan, Savage > Bonar (on demonstrated output) OR Savage = Macmillan.

The lineups are reasonable even imo. The points of difference should it go our way are Goldstein's more advanced stage in the ruck and the physicality posed by Garner and Zurhaar. Plus Daw immediately picking up where he left off in 2018.

The factors that could swing it the other way might be unexpectedly strong showings from Ryder and Howard 1st up in their key positions plus Butler and Lonie getting off the leash due to our defence not concentrating.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
According to Roughead yesterday on SEN, King will be the #1 forward this season.

Has kicked 3 in the first half of their intraclub.

I am not feeling as confident as if Richo was still coaching them, but still think we should take care of them.
Having so many new players in the side, as well as losing Steven and Bruce, who were arguably their two best players, I think makes them very beatable, even with all the improvements. The question is which North will play in round 1.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Okay, reading between the lines on the Saints board, I don't reckon King lined up on Carlisle or Howard, but rather one of the "rest" defenders.

Didn't take any contested marks either.

Okay, reading between the lines on the Saints board, I don't reckon King lined up on Carlisle or Howard, but rather one of the "rest" defenders.

Didn't take any contested marks either.

Who takes him round 1?
Do we play Robbie on a debutant?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Who takes him round 1?
Do we play Robbie on a debutant?

Tazz will be required for Marshall/Ryder.

According to reports he was pretty easily out bodied in the contest, but was lightning on the lead and did some nice ground work stuff. Perhaps Walker, who is probably a best Thompson replacement at the moment?

Membrey is also more of a leading type.

Tazz will be required for Marshall/Ryder.

According to reports he was pretty easily out bodied in the contest, but was lightning on the lead and did some nice ground work stuff. Perhaps Walker, who is probably a best Thompson replacement at the moment?

Membrey is also more of a leading type.
Durdin/Daw, both are quick for tall blokes.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Max king is going to be an absolute gun, he might not kill us round 1, but he will for years to come.

Yeh he looks very agile for his size.

Nice get for them the kid and family being saint fanatics too.

That said I hope we render his debut farcical with stats of 0 possessions 0 marks 3 FA.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Durdin/Daw, both are quick for tall blokes.

Durdin got sorted on the burst last year by the hard leading types, and Maj is not the most defensively disciplined option.

I suppose we could play Maj on the Ryder/Marshall combo and place Tazz on King.

Pittard could take Membrey.

This game is a lot more dangerous than a few seem to think. If Hill & Billings get off the leash and start giving it lace out to King & Membrey then they are going to be a potent forward line.

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Restrict supply and get them bombing to targets whom prefer to receive on the lead.

Not sure that is going to work against Daw, Tarrant and Durdin/Walker.

I’m usually not very confident but feel we have a bit on this saints team.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Durdin got sorted on the burst last year by the hard leading types,[/B] and Maj is not the most defensively disciplined option.

I suppose we could play Maj on the Ryder/Marshall combo and place Tazz on King.

Pittard could take Membrey.

This game is a lot more dangerous than a few seem to think. If Hill & Billings get off the leash and start giving it lace out to King & Membrey then they are going to be a potent forward line.

To be fair, the pressure on the ball carrier was only at a reasonable level in the second half last year and I thought Durdin did okay when that was happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back