Resource North v StKilda JLT match (opposition welcome)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Where: Avalon Airport Oval, Chirnside Park
Date: Saturday, March 2
Time: 1.10pm AEDT
Transport: Trains depart North Melbourne Station 11:39 & 11:58, and arrive at Werribee Station at 12:38 & 12: 58 (10 minute walk to ground)
Weather: ****ing hot (max 36C)

The Age:

NMFC-header.png

Players to watch

Ben McKay: The key defender has played just one senior game in three seasons at Arden St but looks ready to cement a regular spot after bulking up noticeably this pre-season. A sound JLT campaign would guarantee him a round-one berth with Scott Thompson (suspension) and Majak Daw (pelvis/hips) already ruled out and Robbie Tarrant (AC joint) in serious doubt.

Nick Larkey: Jarrad Waite's retirement leaves a vacancy on North's forward line alongside Ben Brown that Larkey, 198cm, will be anxious to fill. The 20-year-old was the VFL's leading goalkicker in 2018 but needs to show he can have a similar impact in the AFL.

Tarryn Thomas: The Roos' first pick in last year's NAB AFL Draft at No.8 overall, Thomas has made solid progress in his first pre-season, showcasing his class and aggression in match simulation. The competition for places in North's first-round team will be fierce, but a strong JLT series could edge the Tasmanian into the senior 22.

What's new

The Kangaroos could field five freshly recycled players in their opening clash against Fremantle, with Jared Polec, Jasper Pittard (both Port Adelaide), Aaron Hall (Gold Coast), Dom Tyson (Melbourne) and Tom Campbell (Western Bulldogs) all ready to press their claims in the JLT series. Polec, Hall and Tyson appear almost certain round-one selections after impressive pre-seasons, but Pittard (calf) has ground to make up after only recently returning to full training and Campbell needs to show he can play effectively alongside North's No.1 ruckman Todd Goldstein.

Missing

Majak Daw (pelvis/hips), Ben Jacobs (sinusitis) and Will Walker (PCL) remain out indefinitely, while Sam Durdin (finger) faces up to another nine weeks on the sidelines. Vice-captain Robbie Tarrant (AC joint) is pulling out all stops to be fit for round one, but will have to make a speedy recovery from surgery two weeks ago. – Nick Bowen

Top draftee Tarryn Thomas will be one Kanga to keep an eye on. Picture: AFL Photos

thomas1TR141218SB0185.JPG

Last edited:
  • Banned
My team:

Williams, McKay, Vickers-Willis
MacMillan, Thompson, McDonald
Polec, Davies-Uniake, Hall
Garner, Wood, Hrovat
Watson, Larkey, Turner

Goldstein, Cunnington, Higgins

Brown, Simpkin, Dumont, Ahern, Pittard, Atley, Wright, Tyson, Thomas, Scott, Taylor, Xerri, Campbell, Zurhaar, Wilkinson

Last edited:

We are coming up against a pretty terrible midfield. I’d rest Higgins. To valuable to have him running around a hard baked ground in 40 degrees at the start of March.
The Saints have had a difficult offseason with Carlisle set for back surgery, Steven on leave with mental health issues and Hannebery with a 'dodgy' hamstring.

With those big losses the match has a chance to be noncompetitive. With that in mind we should blood a few more draftees/youngsters than usual.

We are coming up against a pretty terrible midfield. I’d rest Higgins. To valuable to have him running around a hard baked ground in 40 degrees at the start of March.
Hopefully at some stage we see Jy, LDU, Ahern, TT and Scott as the midfield combination!

Two NMFC games at the same Werribee oval this weekend.

One on Saturday, one on Sunday.

Such a massive missed opportunity for an awesome double header :(

Where: Avalon Airport Oval, Chirnside Park
Date: Saturday, March 2
Time: 1.10pm AEDT
Transport: Trains depart North Melbourne Station 11:39 & 11:58, and arrive at Werribee Station at 12:38 & 12: 58 (10 minute walk to ground)
Weather: ****ing hot (max 36C)

The Age:

What's new

The Kangaroos could field five freshly recycled players in their opening clash against Fremantle, with Jared Polec, Jasper Pittard (both Port Adelaide), Aaron Hall (Gold Coast), Dom Tyson (Melbourne) and Tom Campbell (Western Bulldogs) all ready to press their claims in the JLT series. Polec, Hall and Tyson appear almost certain round-one selections after impressive pre-seasons, but Pittard (calf) has ground to make up after only recently returning to full training and Campbell needs to show he can play effectively alongside North's No.1 ruckman Todd Goldstein.

That's some good trading that you guys did last year. Since when did North start prioritising run and carry?

We're hoping that our best additions will be heart and effort. I'm pretty confident we'll be a hell of a lot better than last year. If not, I'll shoot myself (not really, kids. I've been through worse). Keep an eye out for our new recruit Parker in F50 and second year player Hunter Clark in the middle.

Have fun if you're going out - think that forecast has put me off!

Two NMFC games at the same Werribee oval this weekend.

One on Saturday, one on Sunday.

Such a massive missed opportunity for an awesome double header :(
The VFL team are playing Sandringham at Moorabbin on Saturday. Would have been good to see them as a curtain raiser to JLT. Early start to beat the heat.

There's going to be quite a few who miss out worth having a look at.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very excited about this game, it's gonna be a great showcase for our upcoming 2nd years and new trade players, and draftees. What more can you ask for?

Shiny new toys everywhere along the ground and the best part is if they stake a claim to do well enough, and resoundingly win (which is against the Saints, so probably will), we could be looking at a whole new makeup of the best 22.

How can you not love being a North fan at this time.

would like to see the likes of LDU, T.Thomas, Ahern given a soft kill against this weak St.Kilda outfit. A nice starting point to work their way into the season I reckon

We don't have many defenders left standing at the moment and doubt they will even be ready for Round 1 of the normal season.

Heath has already said that they're going to use the JLT to test if Larkey can play out back. Something to keep an eye on during this STK JLT match.

A stab at the 26: Williams, Anderson, Higgins, Garner, LDU, Cunnington, McDonald, Simpkin, Polec, Dumont, Ahern, Pittard, Atley, Wright, Larkey, Tyson, Goldstein, McKay, Thomas, Turner, Wood, Vickers-Willis, MacMillan, Campbell, Hall, Zurhaar

A stab at the 26: Williams, Anderson, Higgins, Garner, LDU, Cunnington, McDonald, Simpkin, Polec, Dumont, Ahern, Pittard, Atley, Wright, Larkey, Tyson, Goldstein, McKay, Thomas, Turner, Wood, Vickers-Willis, MacMillan, Campbell, Hall, Zurhaar

I can't see Campbell missing. Goldy will be managed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back