Autopsy North v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives:
- Wells got through unscathed.
- Thompson/Taz done okay across half back
- Thomas had a better game. Still not getting enough of the ball though.
- Spitta and Cunners were good.
- Mckenzie's kicking still a feature when no one could hit a target.
- thought McMillan was quite good too.
- still on top

Negatives:
- We didn't play Wood. He should have been straight back, would have given us more of an option than Nahas.
- Dal Santo, Gibson and Boomer so soft. Was actually embarrassing to watch them squib it all night.
- Drew. Last year for him. Giving us nothing on the scoreboard. No point playing someone who is just a decoy.
- Waite. All the positive feedback gone to his head? He has been crap the last three weeks! Where is the Waite from the first month of this year?
- Limited defensive running.
- Goldy off injured iced knees in the last.
- goal kicking. Boomer and Brown kick those goals and it could have been a different story.
- half backs offer us nothing. Why can't they get more involved??

I wasn't expecting us to win that by any means, but I'm frustrated that so many of our players didn't give the effort required when going in for the footy. We aren't a bruise free footy club, but we played like we were tonight.

Would love to see how Tha game pans out on the MCG? Pissant ground suits their defenders perfectly as there was no space for our big forwards to move in. Nearly a night where Wood should have played instead of one of the 3 talls

Tried to suggest as much in the Sternlook with my question. ..it was a recipe for a * up playing those three talls on that crowded ground Kangaroos4eva

Felt like a terrible loss admit went along, but it was four goals and only one scoring shot difference, so you could take that as encouraging for next time. Fix a few things and we could win then next one, especially if it was at another ground.

Taz and Thommo very good. LT did OK with not much help from the talls or other smalls. Goldy had his moments and Ben10 and JMac can hold their heads up. Jack in and out and Swallow worked hard all night. Froggy again looked like he belonged. Brown best of the tall forwards and helped in the ruck a fair bit, but couldn't get the goals. Nahas worked hard but lacked the polish needed - can't criticise him too much missing when he was one of few getting in a position and getting the ball to take shots.

Wells and Wright looked rusty. There you go. Thought they would go better coming back, but good to get that one under their belts.

Really disappointed by Boomer, Petrie, Waite, Dal Santo and Atley. Needed more from all of them and they just weren't in it all night.

Thought the defence held up well one in one, a couple of shocking handballs from spud aside.

They set up so well at the scg, get a decent run off half back and you should score.

We were all over them at the start of the last quarter, didn't take our chances (I'm looking at you, Brown).

I get that our talls aren't suited to the small ground, but Petrie, Waite and Brown barely contested tonight and that killed us.

The myth that is the meat grinder. JZ is not A grade and never will be. Swallow tries his guts out and guys with more talent should take a look. Cunners is the best but still goes missing. We need more class in the middle and need it quick because we'll never match it with the best.
this is the worst post I've ever seen.

Not fussed by the loss.

Quite frustrated by the umpiring but didn't affect the outcome.

Not clean enough and we still need to improve on our ability to defend when the other team win the clearance.

Fox Footy was disgraceful and I demand a sustained attack by our club starting with our President and every down on Dermott's half time vilification of Lindsay Thomas.

Negatives:
•Looked tired
•Goldy with iced up knee in last quarter
•I hate to say it but.....tonight really highlighted how much Drew is struggling this year.

Positives:
•Fought back after looking like the game was going to be out of reach early on
•Thompson another quality game
•Denis Cometti is one game closer to retirement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We showed in patches that we are capable of matching them. But there were too many periods of complete switching off.
I think we'd have lost by more last year.
Surely we don't get games that bad by Boomer Drew and Waite again?

The thing that has shitted me all year is how easily our opponents read the ball off hands in our forward line. Our big 3 don't take the mark at least 1/2 of the time they go up for it, a single player able to read a ******* crumb would be pretty handy.

Disagree whole heartedly. Franklin had 3 shots at goal from handball receives when he ran behind a guy taking a shot. You take that away and he had 4 shots at goal for the night. Especially when the ball was coming down that much, Tarrant did a tremendous job.
Dunno, 15 touches and 7 marks is a pretty handy game from a forward. Think you're being kind if you think Franklin didn't have a good night despite no bag.

One thing I can't stand is blokes not shepherding. I like Froggy as much as the next bloke but in the third quarter, with Jmac streaming through the centre, he runs with him and lets the Sydney player brush past him to tackle Jmac.

What the *?????? Smash the bloke out of the way and let the ball carrier keep ball carrying.

Not fussed by the loss.

Not clean enough and we still need to improve on our ability to defend when the other team win the clearance.

Fox Footy was disgraceful and I demand a sustained attack by our club starting with our President and every down on Dermott's half time vilification of Lindsay Thomas.

Yeah im about the same, would of been great to win. But the actual loss doesnt change much at all. The effort and execution was really dissapointing though.

On Dermie, the club must act on it NOW. Its a disgrace. No Bull

Not fussed by the loss.

Great way to celebrate indigenous round wasn't it?

Not a good game and very few if any positives. Hardly the end of the world though

Sydney are a good team, and even better in Sydney.
We were playing with a clearly labouring ruckman (pretty good at the bounce, got beaten easily in ball ups and around the ground).
Some of our most consistent players played their worst game for the year (thus far).

Horrid first quarter where they got first touch on the ball and then moved with speed. We know fast pace and ball movement are our weaknesses, and they showed it. Almost every time they did get it on the outside in space they made us pay for it. That stayed the same for the rest of the game. And we absolutely handed it over to them at times, while we were streaming forward with our players some distance off their men.

When we did manage to even up the contested work, we were pretty evenly matched. Our inside 50 entries coupled with our talls playing badly meant we kick badly and handed it back too often though, which then led to back to us suffering on the outside.

We kicked it too much (and too inaccurately) whereas they ran and handballed up the ground with speed.

My concerns moving forward are mostly centred on Goldy and his health. Our talls haven't worked that well recently either, with Waite not clunking them as much and Drew seeming off (though he always tries) which is also a worry. Ats and Dal can onto the 'worry' list as well for obvious reasons.

I suck at telling how players go with defensive roles, but Bmac seemed sound enough and his disposal was mostly exquisite. Just didn't get anywhere near enough and I was amazed Spud was taking so many kickins.

Mcmillian also impressed me, as did Cunnington after quarter time (played a very good game in the end, though I still worry about his footspeed and endurance).

Overall... meh.

Still top of the ladder which affords us space to drop games. I was hoping for a win though and thought we looked primed.

Back down to earth we come. Hopefully this loss allows the selection committee to look at the individual components instead of just focusing on the sum of parts.

We got what we deserved tonight.

Did we win a free kick for holding the ball?

Liked Cunnington, Ziebell, MacMillan and Thompson.
Disliked Petrie, Waite, Atley and Harvey.
Others tried but outplayed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back