Preview North v Tiges round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

They can't challenge our fwds with quick delivery. Our backs are good enough so long as not hammered ala GF game when midfield just awful.

If it's slow movement, side, back, fwd, back, side, fwd, back, side, fwd etc (and gone 20 metres overall if that) they'll kill us.

It's how they want us to play.

Need to play aggressive, positive footy. Play to our strengths.

It's as simple as that, really.

No changes necessary this week tbh.

Just re-quoting this to pat myself on the back for getting it exactly right.

People who thought that Rhyce Shaw was going to drop JMac or something similar were delusional.

Harsh on Ats!!
Don't get me wrong, I like the bloke as a player, but his real strength lies in the attacking flair he offers off half-back. Wouldn't say he's a defensive liability as such, he can hold his own, but put someone like D Rioli on him and watch how things pan out. Marley is our best small defender. By some margin too.

I know it's pushing it, but now I think we should have given Kyron a shot on Dusty, he can't handle a tag, but stuff it I know why not

Maybe in 2020. Maybe.

Looking a bit disheveled.
Pretty sure that shaw has told them to show him what you've got this week. Without burning your teammates, play how you think you should. Couldn't come at a worse time for Macmillan with fast crumbing pressure forwards in the majority he is defending. Players definately playing for careers. I see jmac on the Gold coast for swaps of picks at the end of the year. Clarkson may see him as a forward that makes space or blocks a ruck plugging the hole. I Hope he proves himself worthy of staying, but either way I think he is on his way to being a bit player in an inexperienced team or a break glass in a contender. As leadership, he should be nervous as the coach he served has gone from above him. The Freo game was the worst I've ever seen him play but Scott was ambushed by a better coach. No where to go. If things go bad on Friday night he will have to go the extra mile.

I hope everyone goes away on the bye break and reflects.

Mo' winning, less problems.

It does slightly rankle me that they rolled jmac out. It makes me think that regardless of what happens, Shaw will not be coaching next year even if results go well.

Scott's loyalty to players and his insistence on a failed system were his undoing.

I always hope we win. I do also agree that winning teams can get better. Changes in merit would shut me up. A system that played to the strengths of the available players picked. Other coaches have had a week of leisure in the past as they know that we will try to 'get it on our terms' and then, always hopefully 'play the way we want to play'. I want to see players play the way the particular match demands at the particular time. There is a lot of experience in the team. Their ability to break the chains will decide their future. Macmillan should rotate through the forward line when Larkey is in the ruck. He hasn't done it before but as a leader and a 149 game player, he should understand all the angles of the parts of the ground.

Saying that I don't think much will change to start with

Sorry smaturin Your disheveled comment sent me off on a few long tangents.

Anyone going to work thinking they are working towards success getting told that your manager has been sacked due to the teams underperformance have to be spooked about their own jobs.

Couldn't really drop anyone this week as you are pretty much blaming them for the coach's demise.
Certainly playing for their jobs though this week. I expect Cunnington and ziebel to get suspended out of principle former and leadership frustration latter. I expect the senior players to try very hard to have their cards marked in the positive Any future prospective coach who watched the last three weeks will have Higgins out the door. I have no idea of what the prospective coach will be looking at, but I think most supporters and even opposition watchers see the Brad mistake. Bolton is doing the same thing - allowing mediocrity. Even the Swans dropped Thurlow this week against Geelong. Wb dropped Ted Richards. Jmac is living in a bubble that still had not been fully popped.

Bubble needs to be fully popped soon. Losses will mean relationships mean nothing to your career. C'mon jmac, be a selfless leader and talk s**t to authority of that is what you want. If you are about the team do what you think is best for the team. I hope he is disheveled and not part of a sook brigade. I think his fate is sealed either way.

so when's the Shove Off Shaw thread start?
Do you want a new interim coach because of no changes? I suspect to you don't but can we collectively contain the sarcasm and look at the blue sky we were promised. When this grey sky passes

People who thought that Rhyce Shaw was going to drop JMac or something similar were delusional.
I'd also question how low people think it takes to implement cohesive change.

If people are expecting vast deviation from the plan we've been using this year, prepare to be disappointed.

We will be able to change the stoppage line ups. We'll be able to change the in game movement. We'll be able to change the week to week selection.

Shift away from the plan/style is probably 4-6 weeks away, and that's if he even wants to do it. I mean if he changes some stuff and it works then changing more will be slowed.

I'd also question how low people think it takes to implement cohesive change.

If people are expecting vast deviation from the plan we've been using this year, prepare to be disappointed.

We will be able to change the stoppage line ups. We'll be able to change the in game movement. We'll be able to change the week to week selection.

Shift away from the plan/style is probably 4-6 weeks away, and that's if he even wants to do it. I mean if he changes some stuff and it works then changing more will be slowed.

Those areas where he can influence change may be enough to get more out of the game plan and have us winning, assuming Shaw has the capacity to be more flexible than Scotts. Will be something I will be focused on tonight. Go Roos!

Those areas where he can influence change may be enough to get more out of the game plan and have us winning, assuming Shaw has the capacity to be more flexible than Scotts. Will be something I will be focused on tonight. Go Roos!

Agree.

Tonight is just about a complete unknown. That outcone of any changes also unknown. We've got space to try new stuff. It's exciting. We might fail, but weve been doing that so it doesn't matter.

For me we needed to get rid of Brad because the message was stale. It was so apparent it was smashing us in the face.

The most impressive thing for me though is the balls to a point Shaw. If we were to go back through the BBB thread or any posts about a post Brad club, you'd be pretty hard pressed finding any that tipped us to appoint him. Looking at it objectively it is the right call. Not because of his coaching prowess, f***ed if I know what that's like. It's the right move because it sends a clear message to everyone. He's the last voice in and thus the least influenced.

It's a ballsy move, which is what we need more of. This risk averse nonsense has made us vanilla.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you want a new interim coach because of no changes? I suspect to you don't but can we collectively contain the sarcasm and look at the blue sky we were promised. When this grey sky passes
Jokes jim, unclench.

Do you think Tony will forgive us for ruining his 300th now that we've hired his nephew?

If we bring the same intensity and accuracy we're right in this.

I fear that same as Geelong the difference may be an absolute star showing his class - Dusty in this case.

Tarryn keeps edging closer to a true breakout game too.

Friday night under lights would have some old school value there if he did.

I'm fine with no changes.

It's how they play under Shaw far more important. Axe can be swung in time.

We have a good enough team to beat the Tigers.
I don't want change for the sake of change, but to me LDU wasn't ready last week, and then got some shoulder issue late in the game as well. Against a hardened Richmond midfield, I would have dropped him for Hall personally. Hall was unlucky to be dropped in the first place, and played a number of very good games in VFL, and if you aren't rewarding that, you're not sending the right message to the group.

I don't want change for the sake of change, but to me LDU wasn't ready last week, and then got some shoulder issue late in the game as well. Against a hardened Richmond midfield, I would have dropped him for Hall personally. Hall was unlucky to be dropped in the first place, and played a number of very good games in VFL, and if you aren't rewarding that, you're not sending the right message to the group.

LDU also did some very nice things and I reckon he needs a good solid run at it - back and forth between twos and ones hurts his development.

Just a quick note to those thinking Goldstien will have his own way again this week on Soldo, I don't think he will have it that easy.

Goldstien:
201cm
103kg

Soldo:
204cm
106kg

Tim English:
205cm
93kg

Last week English was giving away 10kg to Goldy which is bloody massive in a position where body work around the ground is paramount. It's little wonder Goldy absolutley dominated the game.

Soldo however has him for height and weight, so he isn't going to get pushed off the ball as easily as English did which would have given your mids silver platter service.

I still think across the course of the night Goldy will win the battle of the rucks as he is a very good / experienced ruckman, but I don't think it will be to the same level you saw last week.

As I said on the podcast though, if im Goldy, I'm drifting forward at every opportunity to expose Soldos lack of knowledge of the game.

Should be an interesting matchup!

Just a quick note to those thinking Goldstien will have his own way again this week on Soldo, I don't think he will have it that easy.

Goldstien:
201cm
103kg

Soldo:
204cm
106kg

Tim English:
205cm
93kg

Last week English was giving away 10kg to Goldy which is bloody massive in a position where body work around the ground is paramount. It's little wonder Goldy absolutley dominated the game.

Soldo however has him for height and weight, so he isn't going to get pushed off the ball as easily as English did which would have given your mids silver platter service.

I still think across the course of the night Goldy will win the battle of the rucks as he is a very good / experienced ruckman, but I don't think it will be to the same level you saw last week.

As I said on the podcast though, if im Goldy, I'm drifting forward at every opportunity to expose Soldos lack of knowledge of the game.

It’s more about work rate and quality of tap work for Goldstein.

Goldstien:
201cm
103kg

Soldo:
204cm
106kg

Tim English:
205cm
93kg

Honestly mate Goldy doesn’t dominate anyone. He’s way to nice for a bloke of his size. It’s why a lot of people have gripe with him.
But at his best he is another midfielder. He’s actually quiet skilled for a bigman.
Goldy will be looking to blow Soldo’s endurance out of the water and then get heaps of the ball running up and back. You won’t see him much in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back