Preview North v Tiges round 11

It’s more about work rate and quality of tap work for Goldstein.

but he isn't going to be allowed the same quality of taps against Soldo that he had against English due to the size difference was more my point.

He will definitely win his fair share of taps though, but if we can limit how accurate / damaging they are it's about as good as we can hope for!

Honestly mate Goldy doesn’t dominate anyone. He’s way to nice for a bloke of his size. It’s why a lot of people have gripe with him.
But at his best he is another midfielder. He’s actually quiet skilled for a bigman.
Goldy will be looking to blow Soldo’s endurance out of the water and then get heaps of the ball running up and back. You won’t see him much in the forward line.

He is a running machine.

Soldo will blow up quickly, we will have to be smart with how we work it.

I expect Balta will do more of the ruckwork around the ground than Soldo as Balta probably has Goldy for pace at the contest if the ball spills free.

But Goldy will outruck Balta easily. So it really will come down to what we value more i think.

but he isn't going to be allowed the same quality of taps against Soldo that he had against English due to the size difference was more my point.

He will definitely win his fair share of taps though, but if we can limit how accurate / damaging they are it's about as good as we can hope for!
True to a degree, but Goldy’s ruck guile and positioning, due to his experience and talent, gives him a key advantage in clearance situations.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is a running machine.

Soldo will blow up quickly, we will have to be smart with how we work it.

I expect Balta will do more of the ruckwork around the ground than Soldo as Balta probably has Goldy for pace at the contest if the ball spills free.

But Goldy will outruck Balta easily. So it really will come down to what we value more i think.
Yeah i think your probably right. basically you’ll take the taps as a loss and have your midfield working off Goldys taps too. I’d personally love it if Goldy smashed the ball forward a few times but he won’t, as he always tries to tap it to his feet.

You’ve probably got a massive upper hand in the midfield anyway. If you can get the ball to the outside. The tigers spread as well as any that I’ve seen in the past. It’s really a great thing to watch.

Last edited:
Just a quick note to those thinking Goldstien will have his own way again this week on Soldo, I don't think he will have it that easy.

Goldstien:
201cm
103kg

Soldo:
204cm
106kg

Tim English:
205cm
93kg

Last week English was giving away 10kg to Goldy which is bloody massive in a position where body work around the ground is paramount. It's little wonder Goldy absolutley dominated the game.

Soldo however has him for height and weight, so he isn't going to get pushed off the ball as easily as English did which would have given your mids silver platter service.

I still think across the course of the night Goldy will win the battle of the rucks as he is a very good / experienced ruckman, but I don't think it will be to the same level you saw last week.

As I said on the podcast though, if im Goldy, I'm drifting forward at every opportunity to expose Soldos lack of knowledge of the game.

Should be an interesting matchup!
Goldy isn't a body on body player anyway, so his dominance against lighter opponents hasn't really been evident over the years. He is at his most dominant by playing as an extra midfielder - that is when he's at his best. He not only wins clearances on his own, but provides run and carry option like few other rucks can. He struggles the most against really big blokes like Gawn who monster him in ruck contests, which leads to his overall lack of energy around the ground as well. Soldo may hold his own in the ruck, or even dominate hitouts possibly, but if Goldy is on his game, he should gather plenty of the ball and hurt Soldo as a mid.

Has anyone sat in the Premiership Club on level 2 before? How strict are they with dress code? Will chinos and a footy jumper over a hoodie with a jacket over the top get me in?

You’ll be fine mate.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Agree... in the end what we've had is not the worst result as I just don't think Brad was ever going to get this team to a Grand Final win. All of those were very winnable and all of them would mean nothing would have changed.
If we had made top four I think he could have. But making top four the issue.

Last edited:

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
It's a banter thread, what did you expect..

Excuse me, I came here for a good banter.

No, you came here for banter.

But banter isn’t just saying lolnorf.

It can be.

No it can’t. Banter is the use of a collective series of statements designed to show wit.

lolnorf

Sticksphat

Team Captain
Mar 23, 2018
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just a quick note to those thinking Goldstien will have his own way again this week on Soldo, I don't think he will have it that easy.

Goldstien:
201cm
103kg

Soldo:
204cm
106kg

Tim English:
205cm
93kg

Last week English was giving away 10kg to Goldy which is bloody massive in a position where body work around the ground is paramount. It's little wonder Goldy absolutley dominated the game.

Soldo however has him for height and weight, so he isn't going to get pushed off the ball as easily as English did which would have given your mids silver platter service.

I still think across the course of the night Goldy will win the battle of the rucks as he is a very good / experienced ruckman, but I don't think it will be to the same level you saw last week.

As I said on the podcast though, if im Goldy, I'm drifting forward at every opportunity to expose Soldos lack of knowledge of the game.

Should be an interesting matchup!

Your second last line outlined Goldie's real advantage. he is a much smarter footballer than Soldo. It's a significant better advantage than 5 cm's/5 kg's. And then there's Goldie's much better endurance too.

Your second last line outlined Goldie's real advantage. he is a much smarter footballer than Soldo. It's a significant better advantage than 5 cm's/5 kg's. And then there's Goldie's much better endurance too.

he definitely has the edge on him in the smarts and experience department.

but Soldo will physically give him a tougher time is all I'm saying.

will be watching it with interest!

Excuse me, I came here for a good banter.

No, you came here for banter.

But banter isn’t just saying Go North!.

It can be.

No it can’t. Banter is the use of a collective series of statements designed to show wit.

Go North!

He might be bantering in his spare time.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What are the odds on us cracking 10 seconds in the first quarter without shipping a shot at goal?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1559287595845.png

Bugsy Malone

Cancelled
Jul 10, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let's see the players put in the same effort as last week, not for the cockroaches last game but for the jumper.

AdmiralBenson

All Australian
May 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No. We'll go close to winning this.

I think we can win it.

But we need our leaders to stand up, and take the game on.

If we play defensive footy (think against Hawks chipping it around going nowhere once they adjusted) think we have no hope as they'll press up and strangle us.

You’ll be fine mate.
Just like the time a mate and I were casually strolling into the home supporters at Highbury, circa 1996 in our Wednesday shirts! :-D

Back