North VFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Id prefer the VFL side too but the AFL are paying 600k for a women's side. Not a 2s.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

OK.

And if the VFL side lost $1m and the AFLW side lost $1m after the $600k injection?

Fact of the matter is, player payments would actually be a lot higher on the AFLW side than the VFL side. Even with the reduced salary.

The entire list would be an expense, vs the 5-10 VFL players that might suit up each week.

The bulk of the VFL side each week is made up from within the AFL TPP which we would pay whether we were in an alignment or a stand alone team.

The main cost would be in coaching and physio's.

I can't see that being any less for the AFLW side than it is the VFL side. Again, most of the VFL coaches are redeployed within the AFL side.

Factor in the AFLW being a national competition vs the VFL being a local competition - travel interstate for staff and players, lodgings etc.

There's absolutely no way the VFL side costs more than the AFLW side.

I think a few furfies there TAO......

I doubt there's any profitable AFLW side in the competition tbh.

We dont itemise our AFLW reporting in the financial report, other than mentioning the AFL contribution of of $609,491.

One would suspect we do that for a reason. We lump all of it's costs with the mens expenses.

The only other mention of it is:

View attachment 923267

With no gate revenues, that would be a hell of a lot of sponsorship to makeup ontp of the AFL handout, I'm fairly sure there's no TV rights, the AFL basically threw it over to 7 and Fox for nix as long as they increased exposure.......

We just spent how much on upgrading Arden St for matches? Well that was certainly worth the funding drive, with all of the 3 home games a year the AFLW side have there when they aren't in Tasmania.....

If we continue to run a VFLW side but not a VFL side, well.......

Not sure who's argument this helps but AFLW player payments aren't enormous:

Screenshot_2020-07-30-20-14-18~2.png

I think a few furfies there TAO......

I doubt there's any profitable AFLW side in the competition tbh.

We dont itemise our AFLW reporting in the financial report, other than mentioning the AFL contribution of of $609,491.

One would suspect we do that for a reason. We lump all of it's costs with the mens expenses.

The only other mention of it is:

View attachment 923267

With no gate revenues, that would be a hell of a lot of sponsorship to makeup ontp of the AFL handout, I'm fairly sure there's no TV rights, the AFL basically threw it over to 7 and Fox for nix as long as they increased exposure.......

We just spent how much on upgrading Arden St for matches? Well that was certainly worth the funding drive, with all of the 3 home games a year the AFLW side have there when they aren't in Tasmania.....

If we continue to run a VFLW side but not a VFL side, well.......
The women's footy program costs about $1.3m per year. In addition to the $600k from the AFL, our AFLW team brings in $500k per year from one of its sponsors. The club has also stated in official documents that it expects the women's program to be profitable.

I can provide links (later tonight) to support all the details above, as I have before on here, if we want to go down that repetitive path. Don't guess, don't suspect, don't doubt... just ask for information and you'll get it.

No matter which way you slice it, this still compromises the league even more. Pretty much almost every team has their own seconds team for development and structural coaching transition reasons and I'm sure many more.

If North were to be the odd one out or one of the few odd ones out, that seems really ****ed up.

The women's footy program costs about $1.3m per year. In addition to the $600k from the AFL, our AFLW team brings in $500k per year from one of its sponsors. The club has also stated in official documents that it expects the women's program to be profitable.

I can provide links (later tonight) to support all the details above, as I have before on here, if we want to go down that repetitive path. Don't guess, don't suspect, don't doubt... just ask for information and you'll get it.

I'm not ragging on them.

I'm weighing up the opportunity cost vs the mens side.

The VFL side is an integral part of any future success we may or might not have.

We will be rolling into an alignment next year, when the only alignments that still exist are ones where the AFL clubs essentially control the VFL clubs.

We are not going to be able to roll back into Werribee and just take them over and dictate all terms.

If the AFL side continues to be s**t for the next 5 years, how much does that potentially cost in sponsorship and commercial $$$?

You also haven't mentioned the VFLW side.

The annual report specifically mentioned the AFLW and the VFLW make up a portion of our $3.67m in an increase in expenditure.

A $600k figure from the AFL makes sense given it marries up with the TPP of the AFLW.

So all we have to do is fund all the coaching, travel, medico's etc......

No matter which way you slice it, this still compromises the league even more. Pretty much almost every team has their own seconds team for development and structural coaching transition reasons and I'm sure many more.

If North were to be the odd one out or one of the few odd ones out, that seems really f’ed up.
It will depend on list sides, wouldn't it?

With 45 on the AFL list, you could have 15 non-seniors players to find a home for each week. You also have the luxury of spending years on development.

If lists go to 35, or even lower, you may only have a handful you need to house, and you would put together a different kind of list. Pretty much everyone would need to be AFL-ready, and anyone not in the 22 (and not injured or suspended) really just needs to stay match-fit. In which case an alignment would be fine.

Who is this sponsor?

They certainly weren't there in the first year of the AFLW side, they would have had to come on board last season.

1596105819810.png

1596105839530.png

1596105922884.png

Attachments

• 1596105913915.png
    1596105913915.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 26
You don't think we get $ for calling the women's team North Melbourne "Tasmania" Kangaroos?

With contributions from the AFL and the Tassie govt, I think the women's team is supporting itself.

But I agree, our development is farked without a reserves team

So in Coburg's 2019 financial report, the VFL side cost the club $828k to run, included in that is $382k in match payments.

One would assume our match payments are a lot lower, but our medico and coaching fee's higher.

I'd say anywhere from $700-$800k then.

Things must be extremely dire......

It will depend on list sides, wouldn't it?

With 45 on the AFL list, you could have 15 non-seniors players to find a home for each week. You also have the luxury of spending years on development.

If lists go to 35, or even lower, you may only have a handful you need to house, and you would put together a different kind of list. Pretty much everyone would need to be AFL-ready, and anyone not in the 22 (and not injured or suspended) really just needs to stay match-fit. In which case an alignment would be fine.

Maybe, its hard to say what the result of a list reduction is and the onset effect that has, and if it doesn't turn out to be permanent, which I don't really think it will be I think they'll go back to 45 at some stage, then you'd think by then we'd have our VFL up and running again, thats even IF the club wants to.

I think they should, alignments are...meh okay I guess, but the effect of having your own is pretty understated, take away Richmonds VFL and I don't think you could've handed them the Premiership, when both teams go well the whole club lifts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not rocket science, but it means SFA if the AFL are injecting $600k into a still unprofitable team.

My point is, if both are severly unprofitable (likely), then I'd much sooner keep the VFL side than the AFLW license if it came down to one choice.

Regardless of a $600k handout.

Like I said months ago, they should be more open with the members, I'd have contributed to save the VFL side.

come on you know the “man “ has his foot on our throat . The women’s team is well supported and garners much more media interest than the VFL for one .
And for clubs the games oh so much bigger than a premiership in the men’s.
I hear you and understand your disappointment.
Maybe when we align with someone we can stipulate a few things . I know that in the past we wanted certain players in certain positions . And that pissed us off when it didn’t happen .

Who is this sponsor?

They certainly weren't there in the first year of the AFLW side, they would have had to come on board last season.
You're certainly wrong. The first year of the AFLW side was 2019... which is the year that club sponsorship increased by $2.37m.

The $500k per year I mentioned is indeed from the Tas govt.
You also haven't mentioned the VFLW side.
Yes I have. "Women's program" means the AFLW and VFLW teams.
A $600k figure from the AFL makes sense given it marries up with the TPP of the AFLW.

So all we have to do is fund all the coaching, travel, medico's etc......
The AFL funding covers travel and accommodation fwiw. That $600k figure was for the 2019 season, when the TPP for each club was ~$450k. Likewise the $1.3m figure I mentioned.

Such a shame that all the money that was donated by members to improve the facilities to host VFL games is now worthless. The affiliate model does not work because the other club does not give a flying f**k about our guys development. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but what a waste of time and effort introducing a VFL program. Successful clubs like Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast have strong second tier teams.. It so bloody hard to compete when your twos aren't strong. I am all for AFLW but the men's game is allowing the AFLW to get on its feet. The less money the men's team makes the less money that will go into AFLW. We need our men's team to be successful because thats where the money is. I understand the climate but I am bloody disappointed in the decision.

Such a shame that all the money that was donated by members to improve the facilities to host VFL games is now worthless. The affiliate model does not work because the other club does not give a flying f**k about our guys development. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but what a waste of time and effort introducing a VFL program. Successful clubs like Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast have strong second tier teams.. It so bloody hard to compete when your twos aren't strong. I am all for AFLW but the men's game is allowing the AFLW to get on its feet. The less money the men's team makes the less money that will go into AFLW. We need our men's team to be successful because thats where the money is. I understand the climate but I am bloody disappointed in the decision.

Your money exists to fulfill the socio-political whims of people who are using this club as a Trojan Horse.

Who would we affiliate with? Port? Been there. Willi? Would they need to? Coburg? Frankston? Will these clubs even exist?

We don’t even know what the 2nd tier comp will look like.

Would have been nice to hear this from the club first above all else.

Wait for it.................................................Tasmania.

..................drip...........drip..............drip.................drip.....................

Who would we affiliate with? Port? Been there. Willi? Would they need to? Coburg? Frankston? Will these clubs even exist?

We don’t even know what the 2nd tier comp will look like.

Would have been nice to hear this from the club first above all else.
pretty sure the AFL has no idea what the VFL will be, if it will be, so hard to expect word from the club

I don’t see the point in discussing the AFLW/VFLM.

The larger issue at hand is in our current make up and the way we set up the football club. I doubt I’ll ever witness another North Melbourne flag in my lifetime.
With the already joke riddled compromised fixture, out of cap payments larger clubs rort with no consequence and the tight ship we operate - we come from such a long way back each year just to be a quality side and COVID-19 will be the impact that will weaken us indefinitely.

I know all clubs are hurting. Everyone else has a flesh wound and we’re on life support.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back