North VFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance Laura Kane could devote as much time to our VFL ops as she does the women's? I mean, she's the highest-ranking football administrator in the building at the present time.

That's disappointing if accurate.
Some people just don't want to work off-Broadway, which is pretty much the clearest indication that they are involved for the wrong reasons. You know them. They're the ones that position themselves directly in view of the camera in the rooms after a win on Friday night footy!

And you're right, despite a correlation between a winning VFL group and a winning AFL group, there's actually not really a strong link.
Yep, the 10 year window you've used is a sure fire measure to correlate success. I mean we can just forget all the other key components like Free Agency, access to uncompromised drafts, injury lists when we have the 2s win therefore the 1s will.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

In short, our injury list will have a stronger link to our senior and reserve win column than whether we manage to recruit a handful of VFL players and maybe sneak a few wins as a result. We have a shorter list than 2019, we win more games. Despite these VFL stars leaving for more money

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if they ditched all those VFL blokes because they are struggling for coin?

We aren’t a suburban club.

We turned over $40m+ last year.

The AFL aligned VFL salary cap is around $150k

So I doubt it.

We aren’t a suburban club.

We turned over $40m+ last year.

The AFL aligned VFL salary cap is around $150k

So I doubt it.

Yes, but we have a dozen general managers to support also.

VFL players aren't important.

Yes, but we have a dozen general managers to support also.

VFL players aren't important.

It’s 0.20% of total turnover.

As an overhead it’s irrelevant.

I doubt it’s the reason they left.

The VFL side is absolutely critical to the success of the AFL team, yet if you didn't know better you'd reckon the AFLW was the bigger ticket item.

With the 2020 list now finalized, my early attempt at what our depth looks like.

As you can see, if we finally get a decent run with injury, there's no reason given some of the experience in this VFL side, that it couldn't win the flag.

The below shows how annihilated the VFL side was at times over the last 2-3 years.

That midfield should absolutely dominate VFL level. That backline should also be bloody formidable, at one stage it was almost our AFL defence.

1574987980363.png

Last edited:
If we stay relatively healthy that is a ripper VFL team.
One of the best things about it is there are at least 2 or 3 players I'd like to see in the firsts regularly and at least 10 who could play in the firsts team if they play at their best.

With the 2020 list now finalized, my early attempt at what our depth looks like.

As you can see, if we finally get a decent run with injury, there's no reason given some of the experience in this VFL side, that it couldn't win the flag.

The below shows how annihilated the VFL side was at times over the last 2-3 years.

That midfield should absolutely dominate VFL level. That backline should also be bloody formidable, at one stage it was almost our AFL defence.

View attachment 786664

Stick to the under 18's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back