North VFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

North media team must have all gone to Tassie for the long weekend ?
Tbh our whole vfl operation seems neglected from media coverage to the recruiting where we lost all our good vfl players and replaced them with under 18s mostly

Needs to be a lot more time put into our vfl program overall

media team gets a whack also for once being ahead of the pack to now being with the pack or even behind

good to see we got a win tho

hopefully we announce where the next 2 vfl prac games are soon and maybe a team list in the lead up would be a nice start if no coverage

Last edited:

My humble observations:

Good quality opposition so it was decent hit out; Port play a mark and play on game, hand balling to an overlap player coming past, and were on top in the first quarter with some pretty slick passages. After quarter time, North chopped that style up, mostly in my view to BOG Tom Campbell, who was fantastic not just in the clearances but around the ground too. We all grumble about list management, me included, but he's been a good pick-up; the kind of player you can build a reserve team around, and rely on to give an honest contest if needed in the ones.

As discussed earlier, Will Walker played a half, and got some touches, and got through, so that's about as good as you could expect.

Down back, Same Durdin sets up the structure really well as the senior player, but for mine still makes too many disposal errors. McKay was pretty good playing KPB until he took a knock to a knee in the 3rd and came off; walking around with a bit of limp afterwards, so wouldn't appear too serious. Comben also came off and had iced taped to a knee; he was also being treated for back spasms. I know we're all keen for him, but he'll take time to get battle hardened.

Dom Tyson was the senior midfielder, and did the heavy lifting without doing anything spectacular

Crocker played a wing, with Bailey on the other; both did ok and kicked a goal each - Scott's was the better goal, but Crocker got more of it and was generally busy

Marley was terrific; next best to Campbell in my view

Hosie was quieter than previous but had a purple patch in the 4th, kicked a goal from a strong contested grab and should have had an assist but for one of the VFL players check-siding into a post.

Wood dropped mark after mark, got run down trying to waltz through traffic, and generally look completely out of touch until he took a grab in the 3rd and then got much better. Finished with two goals, and worked hard defensively so hopefully that puts him on a path to bigger things

Tipa only had flashes, but they are good ones; question will be can he get enough ball, because he's not going to win many contested possessions

Macginnis was a bit of everything; he's still slight, but he does look a bit stronger in the flesh than he does on video. Started with some really neat kicks, but then fluffed some as well, but there might be something to work with

Of the VFL players, Lachlan McClean was pretty good; Ty Leonardis played in the middle, and was good too

Last edited:
My humble observations:

Good quality opposition so it was decent hit out; Port play a mark and play on game, hand balling to an overlap player coming past, and were on top in the first quarter with some pretty slick passages. After quarter time, North chopped that style up, mostly in my view to BOG Tom Campbell, who was fantastic not just in the clearances but around the ground too. We all grumble about list management, me included, but he's been a good pick-up; the kind of player you can build a reserve team around, and rely on to give an honest contest if needed in the ones.

As discussed earlier, Will Walker played a half, and got some touches, and got through, so that's about as good as you could expect.

Down back, Same Durdin sets up the structure really well as the senior player, but for mine still makes too many disposal errors. McKay was pretty good playing KPB until he took a knock to a knee in the 3rd and came off; walking around with a bit of limp afterwards, so wouldn't appear too serious. Comben also came off and had iced taped to a knee; he was also being treated for back spasms. I know we're all keen for him, but he'll take time to get battle hardened.

Dom Tyson was the senior midfielder, and did the heavy lifting without doing anything spectacular

Crocker played a wing, with Bailey on the other; both did ok and kicked a goal each - Scott's was the better goal, but Crocker got more of it and was generally busy

Hosie was quieter than previous but had a purple patch in the 4th, kicked a goal from a strong contested grab and should have had an assist but for one of the VFL players check-siding into a post.

Wood dropped mark after mark, got run down trying to waltz through traffic, and generally look completely out of touch until he took a grab in the 3rd and then got much better. Finished with two goals, and worked hard defensively so hopefully that puts him on a path to bigger things

Tipa only had flashes, but they are good ones; question will be can he get enough ball, because he's not going to win many contested possessions

Macginnis was a bit of everything; he's still slight, but he does look a bit stronger in the flesh than he does on video. Started with some really neat kicks, but then fluffed some as well, but there might be something to work with

Of the VFL players, Lachlan McClean was pretty good; Ty Leonardis played in the middle, and was good too

thanks for the report.

From my mate:

" Just returned home from Arden St! Gritty hard fought win over Port Melb in challenging swirling conditions: 8-9-57 to 6-9-45

My Best AFL listed players: Campbell Durdin Williams Tyson Wood Crocker McGuinness + Will Walker who was very lively 1st Half before being rested.

Goals: Wood 2, Campbell Crocker Robinson Tipungwuti Hosie Scott

Wood has returned to Fwd line.
Worked himself into game after quiet start + set up Tippa’s Goal with a superb 20m handball into space from Flank to corridor so excellent vision, skill + execution! Every touch Tipungwuti gets is electric + applies frenetic Fwd pressure too.

Will Walker was jumping out of his skin playing on each time he won the Footy & made things happen. Matt McGuinness as Tall loping Left Footer in D50 looked pretty promising + will be more damaging under the roof I sense. Reads incoming ball like a calm natural Defender too...."

My humble observations:

Wait a minute - so Bailey played in the VFL side? He wasn't ill or injured? This means he wasn't picked in our top 30 due to ability?

Last edited:
My humble observations:

I realise now its a typo, but i thought "Same Durdin" was goin to be the set up for a potting.

My humble observations:

May l say " magic " Merlin 👍
Great write up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So apparently a game vs Collingwood VFL this weekend.

Last chance for the club to get some minutes into some legs and potentially lock down the final 22 before the AFL Rnd 1 side.

Who do we think plays some game time in this?

I would of thought Ziebell is a certainty for some game time, given he only got a half on the weekend and looked well short of a run.

I'd honestly give Zurhaar a run, to put the wind up him slightly.

Others to potentially play:

Ahern
Bonar
Tyson
Wood
Hall
Campbell
Scott
Mahony
Garner
Hosie
Williams
McKay
Durdin
Murphy
Crocker
McGuiness
Comben

Last chance for the club to get some minutes into some legs and potentially lock down the final 22 before the AFL Rnd 1 side.

I would of thought Ziebell is a certainty for some game time, given he only got a half on the weekend and looked well short of a run.

Ahern
Bonar
Tyson
Wood
Hall
Campbell
Scott
Mahony
Garner
Hosie
Williams
McKay
Durdin
Murphy
Crocker
McGuiness
Comben

Ziebell definitely, otherwise, that's about the list, albeit McKay and Comben may be proppy

Ahern
Bonar
Tyson
Wood
Hall
Campbell
Scott
Mahony
Garner
Hosie
Williams