Autopsy North vs Crows - 'Tis a good day to be a Roo my friends!'

Remove this Banner Ad

It was good, but to be fair, our guys were playing ring-a-ring-a-rosey with him. How many times did they handball it to each other in his vicinity, almost daring him to get it?

Yup, it was like a game of keepings-off with a guy in the middle. The thing is Bett's scares them making them sh*t themselves and handle the pill like a hot potato. Hopefully Saturday's game was one helpful psychotherapy session for our defenders dealing with the Betts nightmare!

Just watched the game twice (and the 1st quarter 3 times). Best H&A win feeling for me since Rnd 1 against the same mob last year.

For me my top 3 likes were:
LMac arching his back and getting out of traffic into space. I don't remember us having a player who could do this well and regularly since David King. Even then, LMac does it in congestion and is harder at the ball. Also he has found that elite confidence in his kicking. Demands the receiver get into space. That one when he streamed down the wing and beckoned to Waite to run to the left forward flank then proceeded to deliver an impossible 60M laser guided ball only for Waite to miss the finger-tipper was awesome.

Eddie Betts threatened to break loose again. I break out into cold sweat the days preceding us having to deal with him. He had a few moments where you gotta give it to him (beating 3 of our players to win the HTB free kick). In saying that, we finally controlled him. Most of the kudos go to Marley. Didn't give him a free run to get into dangerous spots all game and made him accountable for Marley's own attacking prowess. The support pick 109 got from Thompson and co was fantastic as well (despite Thommo inexplicably gifting away an extra goal). He is the gel we needed to save our defence from falling apart like it did at times last year.

Watching the game yesterday, I don't feel like this is a rebuild at all. More just a changing of the guard. The boys we farewelled last year all cast a big shadow on the clubs developing players. As good clubmen and players as they were, our younger brigade needed some sun to shine. Dumont is not much worse than swallow in halving contests our way, but much more dynamic in getting the ball moving our direction. EVW has nowhere near the grunt and physicality as Firrito but has more finesse and poise in tight and I don't have to worry about him giving away stupid frees and 50's. Hrovat is nowhere near Boomer's skill level but he is just as reliable a snap and set shot. Also he is no protected species and if he ain't putting in defensive aptitude as well, he's dropped. So with the changing of the guard, it allowed the coaching staff to reset their standards of what they expect each player to give and do, and have nobody be above the law. Saturday was really evident how the team sung from one hymn sheet. Passion at goals scored and plenty of bum pats and hair ruffled for big 1%'ers. They know what to expect from each other and nobody gets a pass. Also, we aren't reliant on one player (like the Crows are on Sloane).
Quality post. :thumbsu:

It has been a long, hard week away my friends. NMFCBF is always better after a win especially for a pom pom waver such as myself. But I'm back now and Richmond are STILL a s**t truck team and the North Melbourne Football club is STILL mighty! So here we go.

2012-13 drafts now looking like a period of rejuvenation for us. Garner, Hrovat, Wood, Jacobs, Kelly, McDonald, Dumont, Brown and Turner that's more than a third of our best 22 now entering their prime

Thought Scott Thompson was fantastic. Read the play and set up so well. Was beautiful the amount of times they skied it to him. Though I almost want Brad to drop him for dropping Eddie. Need to make a point that stupid acts like that won’t be tolerated going forward. Thompson, Tarrant and Hansen are an elite set of talls. I love that they are all stoppers (Hansen has improved this part of his game massively in the last two years) interceptors and are attacking with the football. Made Jenkins, "Tex" and Lynch look like pretenders which was impressive because only two of them are.

Waite has shown why he was picked ahead of the Famous Four. Previously I’d thought that those wanting him to play on in 2018 were mad but now I am firmly in that camp. I think we can attack the flag next year (let’s be honest this year is wide open and if we can make the 8 the bye week gives us a great chance to make the GF) and even if he plays 15 games in 2018 I think he’d lead us to 12 wins.

I have decided that Atley is a very complicated puzzle that Brad is yet to solve. In the last couple of weeks a few of the pieces seemed to have fallen into place and he’s running a bit more freely, getting into some more dangerous places and delivering well. This year he’s up to 0.4 goals a game from a career average of 0.1. 0.9 goal assists from a career average of 0.3. A player as fast and good a kick at speed as him should be making plays that hurt the opponent on the scoreboard. I’ve written him off as surplus to requirements and that might be the case but I still see glimmers of gold in the pan…might be closing in on that nugget.

Anderson deserves a longer run. Impact is on the low side but pressure is very good and he hasn’t put a foot wrong. Is harshly judged on here.

Luke McDonald and JMac were brilliant working the ball through the centre of the ground in those most dangerous second and third quarters. When you play against a team as potent as the Crows you're never really safe but they kept finding us a way to goal even at the non-scoring end. Lukey has truly arrived and G-d is it magnificent.

By the way Trent wasn’t circling the Mazda logo he was drawing a heart over his heart. We love you too, Froggy.

Maybe doesn’t feel like the right game to talk about BBB considering how good Mase and W9000+ were but I thought kicking two goals after injury today was another career milestone—impacting the game while hurt. Keeps that goal tally ticking over, 19 in 7 games, fantastic. Every year he gets better and the next hurdle for mine is getting a bit more of the ball when he’s up the ground and bringing others into play like Roughead, Waite, the Riewoldts etc do.

Like a dream you can't wake up from. Very excited to get down to Etihad and watch us send the Swans hurtling back down to Earth after they overcame massive odds and beat the Brisbane Lions at home...

Welcome back mate.

great post too.

Just watched the game twice (and the 1st quarter 3 times). Best H&A win feeling for me since Rnd 1 against the same mob last year.

For me my top 3 likes were:
LMac arching his back and getting out of traffic into space. I don't remember us having a player who could do this well and regularly since David King. Even then, LMac does it in congestion and is harder at the ball. Also he has found that elite confidence in his kicking. Demands the receiver get into space. That one when he streamed down the wing and beckoned to Waite to run to the left forward flank then proceeded to deliver an impossible 60M laser guided ball only for Waite to miss the finger-tipper was awesome.

Eddie Betts threatened to break loose again. I break out into cold sweat the days preceding us having to deal with him. He had a few moments where you gotta give it to him (beating 3 of our players to win the HTB free kick). In saying that, we finally controlled him. Most of the kudos go to Marley. Didn't give him a free run to get into dangerous spots all game and made him accountable for Marley's own attacking prowess. The support pick 109 got from Thompson and co was fantastic as well (despite Thommo inexplicably gifting away an extra goal). He is the gel we needed to save our defence from falling apart like it did at times last year.

Watching the game yesterday, I don't feel like this is a rebuild at all. More just a changing of the guard. The boys we farewelled last year all cast a big shadow on the clubs developing players. As good clubmen and players as they were, our younger brigade needed some sun to shine. Dumont is not much worse than swallow in halving contests our way, but much more dynamic in getting the ball moving our direction. EVW has nowhere near the grunt and physicality as Firrito but has more finesse and poise in tight and I don't have to worry about him giving away stupid frees and 50's. Hrovat is nowhere near Boomer's skill level but he is just as reliable a snap and set shot. Also he is no protected species and if he ain't putting in defensive aptitude as well, he's dropped. So with the changing of the guard, it allowed the coaching staff to reset their standards of what they expect each player to give and do, and have nobody be above the law. Saturday was really evident how the team sung from one hymn sheet. Passion at goals scored and plenty of bum pats and hair ruffled for big 1%'ers. They know what to expect from each other and nobody gets a pass. Also, we aren't reliant on one player (like the Crows are on Sloane).

Brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back