Preview North vs Melbourne (pre game discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Old Skool

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We were slightly off the boil against the Tigers on sunday, but we have made it through a tough period against finals contention opposition to return an excellent 4-1 result.

We now face a couple of games against sides that are not serious finals chances in 2012 and we must be weary that lethargy does not emerge.

I hope the coach issues stern warnings that listed VFL players are pushing hard for positions in the side and that any drop in intensity will be quickly rectified at the selection table.

Places in a finals side are now on the line.

Our boys will be pleased they won't be on a Howe highlight reel this week.

I hope to see a big game from Cunnington against their basket case midfield which will be ultra defensive in attempting to shut down our prime movers.

EDIT: Goldy will have a field day.

Need to go into this one as if we're playing Collingwood or Geelong or West Coast.

Last five weeks has been great but let's not forget how poor our football was at times before the bye. It only takes a poor first quarter and the Dees being fired up and suddenly we're playing catch up.

Totally agree mate, a slight dip in intensity this week and we're in trouble. I don't think that will happen though. Something has definitely clicked and they seem to know what level need to bring each week.

I hope that the lessons from this year are not lost in our good form.

We need to pay appropriate respect to our opponents. We cannot go into game thinking that we will just roll over the top of them.

We need to change nothing with how we approach this game. Hard at the man hard at the ball and work for 4 quarters.

Need to go into this one as if we're playing Collingwood or Geelong or West Coast.

That's how we need to approach every game. I think post Geelong we didn't and we didn't bring that approach back until the Hawthorn smashing. If we're not switched on any side is capable of winning.

We know we are capable of matching it with the best if we turn up ready to actually play.

Hit 'em hard, spread like Anabel Chong with quick slick ball movement and run, stretching their backline in the process, and don't allow them the slightest sniff of victory.

Agree with all of the above posts. This game, and all remaining games, are of equal importance. Freo are breathing down our necks, equal on points and only a couple of percent behind, and I don't want us handing our spot to them before we meet.

Four very good quarters please North!

Would like us to stretch their talls. Bring in pedo and have him play wing and half forward! I really hope Taz and Lach turn on and take a game by the scruff.

Goldy should have 50+ taps this week

Martin has been going alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne will put up a fight and if we show any complacency at all we could be bounced. However, if we play like we did against Adelaide, St. Kilda and Carlton, we will will by 10+ goals. Momentum needs to be maintained.

On one hand, its these types of games that become more about percentage boosting rather then just the 4 points because percentage is all important with Fremantle closing the gap strongly. Then on the other, we can't afford to take it easy because if this season has proved anything its that anyone can beat anyone at any given time if not switched on. Case in point Melbourne beating Essendon.

Percentage. The players have got to be ruthless and play hard 'til the end.

They'll probably come at us with 1-on-1 footy, we saw how that worked out against the Dogs when we were off the boil.

Tarrant and Hansen should be absolutely licking their lips this weekend and will be fired up to (again) prove to BS that they should be a part of the triple towers set up.

Frawley probably takes Petrie
One of Garland and Rivers, maybe even both will play forward
Which leaves either Tarrant and Hansen matched up on MacDonald or Watts.

Another poor game from either of them and they leave the door ajar for Edwards, Pedersen or (god forbid) McKinley.

- Garland will most likely go to Petrie.
- Watts will come in and pick up Hansen.
- Frawley to Tarrant.

I don't think we're not going to get it as easy up forward as many believe.

However, I can see the Dees having a very hard day at the office against our defence.

Essendon had a mentality lapse going into their game with the Deez.
We should know if you give a group of kids hungry for a win any sort of sniff, it could turn into an onslaught.
As seen with the Dogs and Port its sometimes too much to come back from. And we learnt the hard way.
Essendon copped it and we saw it with Richmond against Gold Coast.

We have yet to put in a dominant 4 quarter performance.
I think the way we have been playing though- it would be hard to get complacent.

Keeping it simple and having 3 talls will actually straighten us up and keep us honest IMO.

Its not like having 6 mediums and smalls all chasing a goal.

We should win well IMO.

Martin has been going alright.

He's a handy player but he has had issues with aerobic capacity in a lone rucking role. Goldstein needs to have more impact around the ground because he is by far the better endurance athlete.

This game, along with next week must be seen as fight for the top 8. I will be very disappointed if the boys do not come out and play with the ferocious intensity they have displayed the last month. I don't care how much we win by, if we do not show this level of intensity and desire to win against every team we come up against between now and September, playing finals would mean nothing. Must be desperate.

The footy club are all over the compacency issue:

Dee danger game

NMFC Media - Heath O'Loughlin 10:08 AM Tue 24 Jul, 2012

Despite being one of the in-form side’s in the competition, North Melbourne won’t be taking 16th placed Melbourne lightly according to defender Scott Thompson.

“Although they’ve only won twice, they’ve beaten Essendon which was a really good win and they’ve been really competitive in most games,” Thompson told kangaroos.com.au.

“I think if we don’t bring our contested ball game, which they’re pretty good at, we will be in for a rude awakening so we have to be right on our game to win.”

Now in the eight, Thompson says the Roos could easily fall down the ladder and miss some September action if they don’t stay focused.

“We’ve obviously had a good six weeks but we can’t look ahead too far and if we drop just one game, we still might not make finals so we definitely have to put everything into this week and make sure we’re doing everything right to the win.”

read more: http://www.kangaroos.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4912/newsid/142454/default.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

Back