Game Day North VS Port (in a meaningless game)

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Considering we don't have Tarrant or Daw down back and didn't have Goldy, Cunnington, Anderson or Jacobs in the middle it wasn't too bad, a lot to like about Polec, Ahern and Scott.

I don't think Larkey did much down back, with Brown and Ziebell underdone I think we need him to help out.

My concerns. Injuries. We seem to be a month or more off being ready and we don't have that long.
They had Wines and Hartlett missing among others. No slouches.

I switched off in the third quarter, as I thought we were becoming non-competitive after we fell 26 behind for the first time. Very happy to see that we “won” the game since then. Really hard to read anything into the last two games, due to our defence being so depleted. We really seemed to be completely tweaking our game. Ahern, Scott, Thomas and LDU are undeniable highlights. Ahern will be our best player this season- I have no doubt.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
What’s with not playing Cunnington? Even play him a half to try some midfield combinations.

Scott seems to have missed a few opportunities throughout the JLT
I'm OK with not playing injured guns in a nothing game. Get him right for when it matters, because we are going to need a vast improvement on our JLT form.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
First 5 minutes of the 1st quarter was worrying signs and it just outlined what happened in the second half.
We're still over hand balling, we have no pressure applied to tackling, our defensive structure was out of whack all day. Forwards weren't much better, Brown was completely rusty today. Wood has been taking the absolute piss.

The highlights were the individuals.
- Bailey Scott is a lock, I said it last week and I'll say it again. He's a fantastic player.
-Tarryn Thomas had some really good standout moments, he's never been a player that racks up possessions, all he needs is one to make you pay for it. His game instinct is incredible, Kingy knew what he was talking about regarding Thomas.
- LDU wasn't as on fire as last week but did some great stuff showed more of how capable he is in traffic and still managed to get his hands on the ball.
- Polec is still impressive and he'll be impressive week in and week out, the way he works the space and protects it and sets up his kicks 2 plays ahead is why he's an elite talent.
- Pittard cleaned up alot today compared to last week, thought he did just fine.
- Good to see Aaron Hall run around and do some good stuff.
- Ahern is a forward craft player, he can kick goals better than most of our forwards currently standing. He'll be a great swingman for centre bounces and HF

Big concerns regarding defence, we're not looking good for Round 1.

They took it pretty seriously while Scott was tinkering. We applied meek pressure but we moved it well at times against their pressure.

Really liked the performance of EVW, Polec, Dumont, Tyson (when eventually got on), Hall, LDU, Ahern, Scott and Thomas who looks very promising.

We will step it up defensively in round 1, I'm fairly confident.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Quick player by player summary:

2. Marley Williams - 2 goals kicked on him early then done a calf. Not ideal prep leading up to round 1. Kicking especially under pressure still a big concern.

4. Higgins - will benefit greatly once Cunners and Anderson return. Looks a bit rusty disposal wise but will be primed come round 1. 28 disposals and a couple of goals, just gets the job done!

7. Ziebell - limited influence. Hard to expect much when the ball comes in so slow. Kicked 2 goals but was only workmanlike. He’d be praying that someone else steps up to give Brown some tall support. He isn’t suited to playing on genuine key position defenders.

8. Hrovat - meh. 1 tackle not very damaging. Don’t think he is up to it.

9. LDU - showing some passages of brilliance. Needs to up his tackle count though. Also think he needs to utilise his long kicking more often. Back yourself mate, you have all the tools. He is a lock for round 1.

11. McDonald - more of the same from Luke. Doesn’t look to be showing any huge improvement from last year. Involved in some good passages of play but then involved in some howlers.

12. Simpkin - is best 22? Maybe across half forward but in the midfield he isn’t at the moment. Think he needs to play across the forward line more till his tank develops. In the two JLT games he has looked like he has been struggling to get across the ground.

13. Polec - going to be a huge pick up. Skills stand out like dogs balls along with his work ethic. Never looks like he his puffing. Freakishly good runner. Lock him in for top 3 in the BnF.

14. Dumont - workman like today. Needs to tidy up his disposal. Sometimes needs to look for the kick instead of using his hands. Over possessed the footy a bit today.

15. Ahern - looks really good. Going to play some seriously good footy this year. Didn’t see him much in the centre square today though? Hope that is not the case in the season proper.

16. Thompson - looks to be moving well, under pressure all day and played well. Underrated kick of the ball. Going to be hugely missed round 1.

17. Pittard - where is the run and carry? Where is the long kicking that made him a damaging player at Port? Looks slow at this stage. He has been decent without being outstanding.

18. Atley - moves back looked alright. Don’t mind the idea of him being used wherever he is needed.

19. Wright - wish he was a yard quicker and could get the footy 30+ times a game. Love his kicking and courage. Took some big hits today.

20. Larkey - don’t know what to make of his game. Hate seeing him in the ruck disliked seeing him down back.

21. Tyson - solid without being outstanding. The sort of player who will get off the chain once cunnington returns.

23. McKay - deer in headlights at the moment. Short kicking today was terrible (he is usually a reliable kick at VFL level) Getting stuck flat footed a bit too much. Hopefully Taz is there round 1 to give him some support because he is sure as s**t going to need it.

26. Thomas - a hell of a lot to work with? Who said he was slow? Kid can move. Add 3-4kg and he is going to be a nightmare matchup.

28. Turner - 2 good roving goals in the first quarter then went missing.

30. Scott - lock for round 1. Seriously impressive. Will be a 200 gamer for the club.

32. Wood - was busy in the 2nd half but poor in the first. Consistency still obviously an issue. Bit too relaxed with his kicking.

33. EVW - nice courageous mark. Found the footy and used it well. 0 tackles though. Was solid 1 on 1.

42. Campbell - decent enough. Good backup. Fair way off Goldy as the number 1.

43. Hall - looks good when he finds the pill. Another who will benefit greatly once Anderson & Cunners return. Some poor kicks but then had a few rippers too. Few solid tackles were encouraging.

44. Zurhaar - 4 touches nowhere near it. Been disappointing the last 2 weeks. Don’t think he is in the 22 come round 1.

50. Brown

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They took it pretty seriously while Scott was tinkering. We applied meek pressure but we moved it well at times against their pressure.

Really liked the performance of EVW, Polec, Dumont, Tyson (when eventually got on), Hall, LDU, Ahern, Scott and Thomas who looks very promising.

We will step it up defensively in round 1, I'm fairly confident.
Agree with all bar EVW. He looked just as bad as anyone else in that defence.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Glad these preseason games exist, I can’t see the AFL keeping the 50m play on rule into the proper season as it is.

Our serious lack of tackles was hopefully due to it being a practice game.

Still love Polec and Bailey.

Found it amusing that Ahern kicked more goals than any of our full forwards.

Agree with all bar EVW. He looked just as bad as anyone else in that defence.

Disagree, didnt a lot of covering for other lazy defenders like LMac and Thompson and stood up. Made a few mistakes but was often alone in the contest while the other defenders must have been updating their insta page.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Goldstein & Cunners = 8 goals today.

Could've maintained our 5 goal surge if Goldy was keeping the mids in check with good hand outs. No disrespect to Campbell, he did okay but Paddy Ryder will beat him 9/10 times he's just better.

With that said, good signs for the midfield when you can have patches of domination without Cunners anywhere. He'll provide important stability when he's back amongst it.

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Positives were LDU, Scott and Polec. Also Ahern.
I thought Tyson was a non-factor. Campbell looks out of his depth.
Jy, Brown, Jack all a mile off it two weeks out. Wood too. Hrovat...not for mine.
Trying to plug holes with Larkey and McKay, wish we'd shown some faith in them last year to give them a better preparation. Backline is in disarray and Murphy didn't play? I heard Watson might have a slight injury.
New rules are a disgrace, I can't wait for the snivelling sycophants like Whateley to applaud them. The throw against Zurhaar as well...oh my.
Can only hope getting a few players back makes a huge difference, because although it's only JLT we didn't look flash. First two rounds are huge.

Back