List Mgmt. North: Where is the list really at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else worried we are going to have a lot of goals scored against us next year?
What even is our back six?

B: Wright Thompson EVW
HB: Atley Tarrant McDonald

Is Thompson able to play a full year?
Does Silver go into the midfield?

And if not how is supposed to hold a decent forward line with?

B: Wright Nielson EVW
HB: Atley Tarrant Hibberd

Looks undersized, physically unimposing and green to take on someone like Adelaide, GWS or the Suns

Can we afford to push Macmillan up the ground while losing Spud's leadership and rebound? Do we need to rush in Durdin? Will we be giving games to Tippett still?

Trade him before he ends up another Black with no value.
Gets lost in traffic and makes far to many mistakes, not a player whos going to win us a flag.
Will never forgive him for been turned inside out by Vickery on the boundary line in the 2015 prelim.

If a down hill skiing, low altitude flying pony like Vickery can do that to Hansen, then he has to delist himself and join the Flat Earth society.

Collectively, the blood pressure of all membership holding members goes up when the ball gets near him.

Delist, fire, trade, deport. What eva. Just remove him from my t.v set

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Anyone else worried we are going to have a lot of goals scored against us next year?
What even is our back six?

B: Wright Thompson EVW
HB: Atley Tarrant McDonald

Is Thompson able to play a full year?
Does Silver go into the midfield?

And if not how is supposed to hold a decent forward line with?

B: Wright Nielson EVW
HB: Atley Tarrant Hibberd

Looks undersized, physically unimposing and green to take on someone like Adelaide, GWS or the Suns

Can we afford to push Macmillan up the ground while losing Spud's leadership and rebound? Do we need to rush in Durdin? Will we be giving games to Tippett still?

Pretty sure we will be trading a late pick for Brown and slotting him in until our young KPPs can start being consistently good in the 2's

Im not expecting Thommo to be traded either as it leaves us fairly exposed and undersized.

I see the back 6 like this:

Thompson - Brown - Wright
Atley - Tarrant - McDonald

JMac moves up the ground

Pretty sure we will be trading a late pick for Brown and slotting him in until our young KPPs can start being consistently good in the 2's

Im not expecting Thommo to be traded either as it leaves us fairly exposed and undersized.

JMac moves up the ground
That'll be an interesting trade because I thought Collingwood wanted to keep him and obviously we won't take him as a free agent if Wells is leaving via FA. I think it's the right idea though. He's not the player he used to be but can be that stopper that can hopefully let Tarrant get loose more often. That defence looks alright, I guess it really comes down to if our midfield can turn around its pathetic defensive running and lapse of structure post clearance loss.

Will never forgive him for been turned inside out by Vickery on the boundary line in the 2015 prelim.

If you're not going to forgive him get the game right.

Elimination final.

Richmond haven't made a Prelim since Spud Frawley coached them.

JMac moves up the ground

Yeah that all makes sense excellent call.

Thompson becomes an FA next season also which could be a better time to let him go for some compo as interested parties wont have to give up a pick to get him.

Also pretty sure Brown was a vc/ls group member with the Pies thus could help with our young KPP development as well.

That'll be an interesting trade because I thought Collingwood wanted to keep him and obviously we won't take him as a free agent if Wells is leaving via FA. I think it's the right idea though. He's not the player he used to be but can be that stopper that can hopefully let Tarrant get loose more often. That defence looks alright, I guess it really comes down to if our midfield can turn around its pathetic defensive running and lapse of structure post clearance loss.

All boils down to money with Brown id think. We'll offer 3 x 400k or something while the Pies probably offer 2 x 350k. Most teams want to keep players at discount rates...

Another thing we can do is slot EVW in for Silver and move him and JMac up the ground.

Something like this:

Vick-Willis - Tarrant - Atley
MacMillan - Gibson - McDonald

All 3 across the centreline would be good defensively as well as offensively imo.

All boils down to money with Brown id think. We'll offer 3 x 400k or something while the Pies probably offer 2 x 350k. Most teams want to keep players at discount rates...

Another thing we can do is slot EVW in for Silver and move him and JMac up the ground.

Something like this:

Vick-Willis - Tarrant - Atley
MacMillan - Gibson - McDonald

All 3 across the centreline would be good defensively as well as offensively imo.
Just wouldn't want to use a decent pick on him or lose the Wells compo is what I'm getting at.

Just wouldn't want to use a decent pick on him or lose the Wells compo is what I'm getting at.
s**t yeah...

Has to be a pick in the 50's or fringe player at best. The pies wont get any compo for him because they are bringing in a shitload of free agents.

Maybe Aaron Black for Nathan Brown? Both on similar money id say, so wont affect our cap really either.

Probably a thread that needs to be analysed more after the trade/draft periods imo

Until we see a clear direction, its all just speculation.

* yes! Nothing has really happened yet, apart from retiring some oldies.

North are doing exactly what they've always said, building a list for sustainable success. Hope we have plenty of talent coming through, because that was always the mantra, draft early and top up with free agents. It also means North needs to be pushing for another finals spot.

That's what I expect. If not the club has been lying us talking about "Building a strong team for the short, medium & long term". If they go away from that I'll be livid.

**** yes! Nothing has really happened yet, apart from retiring some oldies.

North are doing exactly what they've always said, building a list for sustainable success. Hope we have plenty of talent coming through, because that was always the mantra, draft early and top up with free agents. It also means North needs to be pushing for another finals spot.

That's what I expect. If not the club has been lying us talking about "Building a strong team for the short, medium & long term". If they go away from that I'll be livid.
Same as the Cats. Dropped out of finals last year, back this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbo clearly wont be traded as he just put pen to paper however I can envisage him playing games at Weribee next year and I dont think he would put himself above doing that where as Boomer might have had issues with it.

Id be looking to trade both Swallow + Thompson (mentioned this a few times in various threads) as I believe they both have some currency and neither fit our medium or long term plans.

Totally agree with this.

My developing talls reference was more directed at Wood, Durdin + McKay.
Nooooooooooo.........we can't break his AFL's "Ironman" streak!

A couple of notable differences; 1. we had the greatest footballer to lace them up running around at CHF and 2. one of the best midfield's of the era - two things we certainly don't have now..
KC's excellent point, though, is that Brownlow voting is meaningless as a gauge of the team's quality.

Pick 85 would want to get it done. He can take Tippett's spot at Werribee

I'd take the 2010 version of Brown. Unfortunately we will have the 2017 version with the mobility of an ocean liner.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

KC's excellent point, though, is that Brownlow voting is meaningless as a gauge of the team's quality.
Ok because Kennedy, Hannebury, Parker and Jack polled a million votes between them they still could be crap? rightio..

Our first 4 place getters total votes barely beat P. Dangerfield by himself (and we won our first 9 games btw) so we obviously have umps that don't like us.. or maybe we don't have any players that actually DOMINATE.

We don't, apart from Goldie we have no star quality running through the middle, yeah we have a very solid core group but if we don't add some stars to that group, you know what? - it simply stays a very solid core group, which equals 6th to 12th on the ladder forever and bum buddies with Richmond - no thanks!

Also, we've just lost 1500 games of experience (Boomer, Dal and Wellsy probably our best users of the pill) so we must draft or develop some guns in the next two years.

If people can't see there's a gulf between our list and a flag right now, then it's about time you took those Royal Blue and White coloured glasses off.

Ok because Kennedy, Hannebury, Parker and Jack polled a million votes between them they still could be crap? rightio..

Our first 4 place getters total votes barely beat P. Dangerfield by himself (and we won our first 9 games btw) so we obviously have umps that don't like us.. or maybe we don't have any players that actually DOMINATE.

We don't, apart from Goldie we have no star quality running through the middle, yeah we have a very solid core group but if we don't add some stars to that group, you know what? - it simply stays a very solid core group, which equals 6th to 12th on the ladder forever and bum buddies with Richmond - no thanks!

Also, we've just lost 1500 games of experience (Boomer, Dal and Wellsy probably our best users of the pill) so we must draft or develop some guns in the next two years.

If people can't see there's a gulf between our list and a flag right now, then it's about time you took those Royal Blue and White coloured glasses off.

Didn't it take until Round 14 before we had a player with over 30 possessions? Fact is we have a lot of players with one speciality, meaning they get it on the inside but not outside or vice versa. Or they are good lead up marks but can't mark in a pack. etc.

Wells is about the only complete footballer we have on the list, at the moment, that is a senior player.

Woah there mate. Stop drinking that Kalgoorlie water... it's not good for you, I tells ya. :)

But seriously, I agree with your sentiment AND don't think the Brownlow voting (alone) is necessarily a reliable gauge of a team's quality.

I'm totally with you on the need for star quality and some x-factor. It would be great if we could 'unearth' one via the draft, but of course haven't had the picks to do that, for the most part. Obviously not counting random hits outside the top 20, such as LA/Sloane, Wright/Hannebury, Harper & Richardson/Parker, McKenzie/Neale (or anyone really). Okay, so maybe recruiting could be better. But still, top 20 or top 10 picks man, we need them.

It's going to be an interesting trade period. I think our list is fine and not as bad as a lot are making it out to be.
Our deficiencies are down back, where we don't have a recognised stopper and are a key defender short. This is why we should be making a huge play for Tuohy. He is a recognised stopper plus pushes forward to hit the scoreboard. He can play on Betts and the like.
Our key defender issue can be resolved by making a play for Eric Mackenzie who at 28 and 196 cm would slot in nicely.
If we miss out on him, get games ASAP into Durdin.
We also lack speed and quality mids. This is why we should target David Swallow. Yes he does have injury concerns, but if we get his body right, could end up being quality.
We also need to get games into Dec Mountford as he has a serious set of wheels.
Our forward line is fine. We missed Waite immensely through injury. He is a match winner. Mason Wood is a jet and future star. Ben Brown just needs to learn how to catch it more consistently and impose himself physically.
Rucks are also fine with Goldy and back ups in Daw and Preuss. Would even consider trading Goldy for 2 first round picks to improve our draft position in what looks like a strong draft talent wise.
So many possibilities, only time will tell. We need to be bold, trade players while they have currency with an eye on the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woah there mate. Stop drinking that Kalgoorlie water... it's not good for you, I tells ya. :)

But seriously, I agree with your sentiment AND don't think the Brownlow voting (alone) is necessarily a reliable gauge of a team's quality.

I'm totally with you on the need for star quality and some x-factor. It would be great if we could 'unearth' one via the draft, but of course haven't had the picks to do that, for the most part. Obviously not counting random hits outside the top 20, such as LA/Sloane, Wright/Hannebury, Harper & Richardson/Parker, McKenzie/Neale (or anyone really). Okay, so maybe recruiting could be better. But still, top 20 or top 10 picks man, we need them.
I'm in Coolgardie the water's all good here mate ;)

Here's the top 20 - not many crabs in amongst that lot, so it is a pretty good gauge of the leagues best IMO;

1 Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong) 35 votes 2 Luke Parker (Sydney) 26 votes 3 Dustin Martin (Richmond) 25 votes 4 Rory Sloane (Adelaide)* 24 votes 5 Andrew Gaff (West Coast) 21 votes 5 Dan Hannebery (Sydney) 21 votes 5 Adam Treloar (Collingwood) 21 votes 8 Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs) 20 votes 8 Lachie Neale (Fremantle) 20 votes 10 Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide) 19 votes 10 Zach Merrett (Essendon) 19 votes 10 Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda) 19 votes 13 Patrick Cripps (Carlton) 18 votes 13 Joel Selwood (Geelong) 18 votes 15 Stephen Coniglio (GWS Giants) 17 votes 15 Lance Franklin (Sydney) 17 votes 15 Josh J. Kennedy (West Coast) 17 votes 15 Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood) 17 votes 15 Matt Priddis (West Coast) 17 votes 20 Max Gawn (Melbourne)

You and I have been on this forum for 15 years now and we've seen some pretty exciting times and some pretty ordinary ones too. I wish I could remember the thread from about 4 or 5 years ago we're I stated if we don't draft or recruit some legit players back then we risk being stuck in the middle and I dreaded having this very same discussion around about this time. I can't remember who I was having the 'discussion' with as it was more of an argument out of frustration from my side, but here I am in 2016 pushing the same barrow.

I have no doubt that our recruiters and personnel management team do their absolute best to find the next stars to set us up for Premierships, but if we can't attract the JOM/Treloar quality from trades rather than Mayne quality then we need to look at the draft in a big way over the next couple of years.

Settle down. I just said Brownlow votes alone don't tell the whole story. Exhibit A: R Tarrant 1 vote. Not that vote getters are rubbish - although sometimes there are surprises - but that there is also a lot of quality that doesn't attract votes. Which was KC's point in saying we had premiership teams that couldn't get as many votes between them as Robert Harvey got on his own.

Our list is short on quality. All agreed. The night o' nights doesn't prove it, though.

Settle down. I just said Brownlow votes alone don't tell the whole story. Exhibit A: R Tarrant 1 vote. Not that vote getters are rubbish - although sometimes there are surprises - but that there is also a lot of quality that doesn't attract votes. Which was KC's point in saying we had premiership teams that couldn't get as many votes between them as Robert Harvey got on his own.

Our list is short on quality. All agreed. The night o' nights doesn't prove it, though.
Yep. Unfortunately we had to watch it get proven over and over again for what felt like 15 games straight :/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back