List Mgmt. North: Where is the list really at?

Jun 21, 2016
Australia's Most Haunted Town
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Adelaide Giants
Exciting times but also how did we let it get to this? A portion of those players really should have debuted.
Give yourself an uppercut!

7259040-3x2-340x227.jpg

Last edited:

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
According to AFL.com.au we're the second youngest team but have the 4th most 100 gamers and 7th most finals experience. Yeah, we're just about to fall off a cliff into a five year rebuild...

North also have plenty of guys with years in the system that have not played that many games...Wood, Dumont, Daw, Hrovat, Williams, Jacobs to name a few.

We have layers of talent and experience on our list.

The only question re the cliff is if Brad's 100 gamers like Ziebell, Cunners, JMac, Wright and Atley take the team and lead.

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our list is fine.

More than enough picks and young players to do some damage to be excited about.

Unfortunately we are stuck with a poor coach, so I doubt anything exciting will happen until he is replaced.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our list is fine.

More than enough picks and young players to do some damage to be excited about.

Unfortunately we are stuck with a poor coach, so I doubt anything exciting will happen until he is replaced.

blah blah blah, four finals series in 7 years suggests he can't be that poor...

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Thanks Brad.

So playing finals is important to you?

I'd rather be last with picks that the mid table finishes we keep serving up. Fluking finals doesn't change the fact we were off flag quality.

Some of us want more than that.

Last edited:
We weren't that far off last year before the injuries. We had a game plan that suited our inability to run defensively and implemented it very well.

We still lack the ability to run defensively and have lost our most damaging skier plus our best player when he was available and on.

Our midfield will look turgid repeatedly in 2017 and the interest lies in how the Coach wants to handle the reset.

Will it be multiple 100 point losses against the top 4 like 2010 with a neutral game plan or will we keep those losses at bay by remaining very defensive.

Our current list is nowhere near good enough to win a flag without either plummeting or buying the legit A graders that are available next year.

We have the basis of a good list, just need a ton of luck when convincing GWS players to come to us.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Yet not a single top 4 finish to give us a proper run at a flag (although that might change now with the introduction of the pre-finals bye and teh Dogs this season). His problem isn't coaching in finals or big games, it's setting a team up to be consistent throughout the home and away system so we can place ourselves in the best position to win a flag. In this respect, he has been an unmitigated failure.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Our current list is nowhere near good enough to win a flag without either plummeting or buying the legit A graders that are available next year.

Agree with this.

However, I do not believe we are in a cliff or Carlton/Brisbane/Melbourne/Collingwood/Richmond situation.

We have already made an effort to invest heavily in the draft. A drop down the ladder may be temporary and give us the currency to snag some A graders.

Agree with this.

However, I do not believe we are in a cliff or Carlton/Brisbane/Melbourne/Collingwood/Richmond situation.

We have already made an effort to invest heavily in the draft. A drop down the ladder may be temporary and give us the currency to snag some A graders.
Completely agree. I'm very excited about the next 2-3 years. Not because I think we're in flag contention (although the same could have been said about the Bulldogs 2 years ago) but because for the first time in forever the Club will be putting it's faith in youth. Unbelievable to read that in the latest AFL stats listed on the AFL website, North now have 16 players yet to debut, more than any other club with Adelaide and Geelong next with 14 players yet to debut.

No-one, not even our coaching staff can predict how these players will stand up to the competition next year however it's sure going to be damn exciting, so long as the selection committee gives the youth a chance, watching them show us what they can do.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks Brad.

So playing finals is important to you?

I'd rather be last with picks that the s**t we've served up. Fluking finals doesn't change the fact we were way off Flag quality.

Some of us want more than that. You know, number 5?

I don't care, I'm realistic about the comp and about my club, and appreciate the good play when it comes

Route57

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The last time we were in a rebuilding phase we pretty much had Boomer, Wells, Petrie and Firrito as the main players developing our youth.

Now we have players who can learn and mould their games off Tarrant, Thompson, Hansen, Waite, Ziebell, Higgins, Goldstein, Thomas just to name a few. And compared to our last transition period we pretty much had no fringe players, it was just throw cunners, ziebell and bastinac in the centre. Now we are much better placed. Hrovat, Williams, Wood, Turner, Garner, Anderson, Clarke and EVW ready to go

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think our list, now chock full of youth and unknowns is very exciting

That's about it though. Like people have said Brad and the coaching staff needs to change and put ruthless culture into this young team. Whether that happens or not is another question

Back