Northaholics anonymous

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi, my name is see see and I'm a Northaholic.

My Richmond-supporting, Trump-loving, climate change-denying, right-wing meme posting brother in law is trolling me on social media and I have absolutely no comeback.

I am at rock bottom.

Firstly I am old school. First game 1975 GF.. I have followed in good times are bad. I know about poor old NM and the history of club given to me by Grandparents. I have relatives who have involved at club.. Maybe it is Covid 19 that is getting me down, because I.am at a low ebb with our football club. I had a really angry thought this morning. Either get people to the club who can run it successfully in 2020s enviroment or just close the doors. Sorry if i have offended anyone

Hey this is a safe haven - you can say whatever you like, no judgement will be passed. Welcome to stage#3 was a personal fav of my for a while.

1595131499946.png

My name is ferball.

I remember standing in the pissing down rain at Princess Park while my boss, a newsagent who'd taken me to the game, wanted to leave, nearly forty years ago. And I wouldn't. I'd been in Melbourne not very long. I was only 12. Hawthorn had over 200 points. I couldn't. I won't now either.

It's not an addiction.

It's something else.

Sometimes when it's your turn to go all you are gonna get is hurt. And you know it anyway.

Lift your head, straighten your back, stick out your chest and look it in the eye.

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that hold the line when it all goes to s**t, whatever the cost.

And those that don't.

That's all.

My name is SBG and I am a Northaholic.

I can't promise not to watch North games - especially against Carlton - but I can promise that I will find and post one positive feature out of every North game through to the end of the season.

You know what .. Me too.

You've inspired me.

Aside from Kyron's courage and Walker's mark there was a moment when Curtis Taylor went back into a pack with the flight of the ball. Didn't mark, or get a free (didn't deserve one either) just got back up and went again.

My name is blackshadow and I'm a Northaholic.

I too plan my week around the game much to the chagrin of my family.

Even after the poo that was served up against * I had genuine belief that we'd turn up and give a good account of ourselves last night.

I've decided to take up heavy drinking again to help ease my nmfc addiction.

My name is blackshadow and I'm a Northaholic.

I too plan my week around the game much to the chagrin of my family.

Even after the poo that was served up against * I had genuine belief that we'd turn up and give a good account of ourselves last night.

I've decided to take up heavy drinking again to help ease my nmfc addiction.
Welcome BS. You're among friends.

After two solid weeks of heading down to the Goldie to roar for the mighty Shinboners, next Saturday the entire family will march into the Gabbatoir expecting a mighty North win. Years of Gabbatoir nightmares will matter little. We will gather with the faithful and believe.

The further the fall, the louder we’ll call.

May the footy gods have mercy on our souls.

Hey this is a safe haven - you can say whatever you like, no judgement will be passed. Welcome to stage#3 was a personal fav of my for a while.

View attachment 914938
I don't think I'm following stages of grief in any particular order. However I'm definitely at Stage 3 with NM at moment. I still love them and always will..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

My name is Wayne. And I am also a Northaholic.

Unfortunately this is not new to me either, I've quite regularly been in this position.

I used to attend meetings for premature ejaculation problems, but I usually came too early and missed most of the meeting.

I also used to be very indecisive, but I'm not sure anymore.

I also used to be addicted to Pepsi. Happy to say that I have moved on and now am down to 3 Coke Zeros a day.

Anyway back to the point at hand. Like others my life has descended into turmoil. My weeks blur into nothing whilst I wait for the weekend to roll around so that I can watch North.

I settle in with a few beers pre-game, a few wines over dinner and then over the game. It used to be a happy time, goals were celebrated and gave me the chance to get up to refresh my ale or head off for a quick toilet stop. Can you imagine how hard it is to get another drink when we only kick 2 goals for the game?

Then at the end I sit, stuck to my couch with an old movie playing in the background, and argue with people on here about who was the worst player. Some nights, if it gets really bad, I may even venture to Facebook to argue with the transient unwashed and uneducated morons over there.

I used to have many many games recorded to enable me to watch replays during the week, to help ease my addiction. I could then rejoice again and again over our wins in preparation for the upcoming weekend. Alas there has not been a game this year that I have felt like re-watching, in fact most have been deleted before even contemplating a re-run. And that makes weeknights hard.

I do think I am getting better though. The depression is not as bad as it used to be. And for me, coming from the high flying days of the 90's when I was in my prime of mid 20's to now, it has been a very difficult transition...

Hi , I'm a Northaholic, I still think we will win every week ,don't watch it on tv just the computer and the inside 50 count that usually means someone will score.
This week first quarter it was 17 to Richmond and 1 to us( i was excited when we got the update from zero to 1 midway through the first).
I still thought we had a chance even at halftime when we had a runon late in the second and kicked 2 goals and some points.Alas we didn't score another goal just behind after behind and the inside 50 count didn't get much better either.
My teenage son said why do we barrack for this club we could barrack for Collingwood , I retorted because it's Great and it builds character, he smiled and left the room.
I am looking forward to watching us next week , and hopefully one day I will be watching us with my sons holding up our 5th Premiership.
Go The Mighty Roos

Last edited:
Hi, my name is Gumble and I’m a Northaholic.
I did a quick count this morning and realised I’d had four beers last night, double the amount of goals kicked. I briefly considered whether or not I have a drinking problem. Nah. But then I realised that it’s North that has a goalkicking problem.
I’ve moved from the frustration and anger stage through to a rueful state of acceptance laced with a good dose of gallows humour. Last night it was ‘Polec lay a bloody tackle and learn to kick with that object at the end of your right leg’.🤬🤬
Today it was ‘Polec approaches the act of tackling like a nervous teenager getting his first dancing lesson from his unreasonably attractive aunt’.
F57D8193-7340-4DDB-86F3-60007A678BD6.png
But then hope springs anew. So I’m thinking that I’ll wear this t-shirt for the first time while watching next weeks game in the hope that it brings luck. The scientific or logical basis for this belief might be negligible but I don’t care as I’m a Northaholic.

Hi my name is KG and I’m a Northahlic.
There’s not a day goes by when I don’t wear a piece of clothing or hat with north on it, come to watching the game I always put my North jacket on as if I am going tonight the game. I’ve been lucky I have attended our 4 premierships.
My dog has a north jacket he wears. My highlight for the week is watching our team. I organise my day around the time the games starts.
During these times of losses I pick myself up by watching one of our wins.
I have always stounchly defendered North whenever someone would say something negative but today I didn’t, I said ‘we are s**t’ . I’m flat as a tack after last night but come Thursday I will be going over in my head how will will smash Carlton.
Stay strong, stay united and we will get over this period, it may take weeks, months or years but you never turn your back on our club.
My addiction is 50 years young and I love the addiction.
Go North

Hello everyone. My name is gokangas but most people call me, gokangas. I'm a Northaholic, a NMFC tragic.

I have been a member for over 50 years so have seen the lot. I thought growing up a North supporter in the 60s was bad enough begging my mum and dad to let me barrack for another club. I even sat through every game at Coburg in the mid 60s. But for a wonderful burst in the mid 70s and 90s I have seen a lot of things aussie rules supporters should not have to see. The * comeback was close to my worst. That GF against Adelaide that we all agreed to never mention again. The attempt to merge with Fitzroy and then Caroline Wilsons attempt to single handedly drive us to the Gold Coast. Proud of my/our efforts then. And just when I thought we had turned a corner by flinging Brad Scott we serve up the shocking, unaccountable crap of the last four weeks culminating in last nights pathetic s**t show - maybe one of our worst ever.

I'm depressed and need the love and support of my fellow North folk - a couple of hundred bucks from each would also help at this late stage of my life. The only saving grace is that I can't sit at the stadium and be humiliated. A little more comfortable being humiliated in your own home.

Let's all group hug, change the club song to kumbaya and help each other through this trying time. Maybe getting pissed will also help.

Hello everyone. My name is gokangas but most people call me, gokangas. I'm a Northaholic, a NMFC tragic.

I have been a member for over 50 years so have seen the lot. I thought growing up a North supporter in the 60s was bad enough begging my mum and dad to let me barrack for another club. I even sat through every game at Coburg in the mid 60s. But for a wonderful burst in the mid 70s and 90s I have seen a lot of things aussie rules supporters should not have to see. The * comeback was close to my worst. That GF against Adelaide that we all agreed to never mention again. The attempt to merge with Fitzroy and then Caroline Wilsons attempt to single handedly drive us to the Gold Coast. Proud of my/our efforts then. And just when I thought we had turned a corner by flinging Brad Scott we serve up the shocking, unaccountable crap of the last four weeks culminating in last nights pathetic sh*t show - maybe one of our worst ever.

I'm depressed and need the love and support of my fellow North folk - a couple of hundred bucks from each would also help at this late stage of my life. The only saving grace is that I can't sit at the stadium and be humiliated. A little more comfortable being humiliated in your own home.

Let's all group hug, change the club song to kumbaya and help each other through this trying time. Maybe getting pissed will also help.

We hear you brother.

Hello All, my name is Hopper and I'm a 45yr Northaholic.
I had 2 of my 3 brainwashed boys over for dinner tonight and they said "what have you done to us", I had nothing.
I know I need to be better and lead this family through troubled times, I will rise to the challenge.
Emptied the esky today, 14 beers and not 1 thrown in anger, I'm almost a grown up!!!

Cheers All.

Hi all,

My name is Wayne. And I am also a Northaholic.

Unfortunately this is not new to me either, I've quite regularly been in this position.

I used to attend meetings for premature ejaculation problems, but I usually came too early and missed most of the meeting.

I also used to be very indecisive, but I'm not sure anymore.

I also used to be addicted to Pepsi. Happy to say that I have moved on and now am down to 3 Coke Zeros a day.

Anyway back to the point at hand. Like others my life has descended into turmoil. My weeks blur into nothing whilst I wait for the weekend to roll around so that I can watch North.

I settle in with a few beers pre-game, a few wines over dinner and then over the game. It used to be a happy time, goals were celebrated and gave me the chance to get up to refresh my ale or head off for a quick toilet stop. Can you imagine how hard it is to get another drink when we only kick 2 goals for the game?

Then at the end I sit, stuck to my couch with an old movie playing in the background, and argue with people on here about who was the worst player. Some nights, if it gets really bad, I may even venture to Facebook to argue with the transient unwashed and uneducated morons over there.

I used to have many many games recorded to enable me to watch replays during the week, to help ease my addiction. I could then rejoice again and again over our wins in preparation for the upcoming weekend. Alas there has not been a game this year that I have felt like re-watching, in fact most have been deleted before even contemplating a re-run. And that makes weeknights hard.

I do think I am getting better though. The depression is not as bad as it used to be. And for me, coming from the high flying days of the 90's when I was in my prime of mid 20's to now, it has been a very difficult transition...

Try being in your 20's during this period :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back