#NORTHBOUND

Remove this Banner Ad

Did the club outline why they made the decision to change the home jumper? I thought the white jumper with blue shorts looked good.
It does. However over the last few years the AFL have "forced" us to always wear white shorts with our traditional strip, even when we have been the home side. Because of this many Twits within the club and on this forum don't like notion of us looking like the "away" side as the home team. Therefore these same Twits want to Forego our Traditional Strip and play in our "Reverse" Strip in home matches because we look more like a home side. Any sane minded person would laugh at this notion but sadly there are imbeciles that run our club. Rather than taking on AFL House and demanding that we play in blue shorts for our home matches the club has buckled. So much for being "bold" and "never beaten". Turn it up North Melbourne Admin. Hang your heads in shame. :stern look

It does. However over the last few years the AFL have "forced" us to always wear white shorts with our traditional strip, even when we have been the home side. Because of this many Twits within the club and on this forum don't like notion of us looking like the "away" side as the home team. Therefore these same Twits want to Forego our Traditional Strip and play in our "Reverse" Strip in home matches because we look more like a home side. Any sane minded person would laugh at this notion but sadly there are imbeciles that run our club. Rather than taking on AFL House and demanding that we play in blue shorts for our home matches the club has buckled. So much for being "bold" and "never beaten". Turn it up North Melbourne Admin. Hang your heads in shame. :stern look

"But it looks better!!!!!!"

Agree we should have argued for 'A'.

But, in the absence of that attempt or successful outcome, happy with this change. Why? Because it looks better, ;) stronger and isn't an away team look that also looks like any other team's white clash strip.

A > B > C. But what's the point of A if we so rarely get to wear it?

Did the club outline why they made the decision to change the home jumper? I thought the white jumper with blue shorts looked good.
Article up on the website.

The decision to adopt the darker strip was partly because the Roos were frequently forced to wear white shorts with their predominantly white jumper at home games, giving the impression they were the ‘away’ side.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2016-11-07/a-new-blue

Understandable decision by the club to move to the predominantly blue Guernsey.

I'm sure the club has argued with the AFL about their ridiculous 'policy' to no avail, so in the circumstances it the best compromise.

Maybe with a change of AFL direction we can revert back at a later stage.

Last edited:
"But it looks better!!!!!!"
You got to laugh at these Turkeys Hardon. It is a moronic argument. In my mind there are some non negotiables. Our name North Melbourne. Our base Hardon St. Our jumper that is blue and white stripes 3 off with the middle stripe being blue in colour. But there are idiots out there who feel compelled to reinvent the wheel. Our club is beautiful as it is. The traditional guernsey is a thing of beauty. It is the jumper we all wore as children. That we still wear now. Why some idiots want to * with tradition because of a look is beyond me. But I suppose when the only sentence these Twits can mutter is Gobble, Gobble, Gobble should we expect any different? :stern look

Article up on the website.

The decision to adopt the darker strip was partly because the Roos were frequently forced to wear white shorts with their predominantly white jumper at home games, giving the impression they were the ‘away’ side.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2016-11-07/a-new-blue
So much for being "never beaten". Buckley strikes me as being as much of a soft utensil as Brayshaws was. :stern look

So much for being "never beaten". Buckley strikes me as being as much of a soft utensil as Brayshaws was. :stern look

It's ******* nonsensical.

Us wearing the blue strip, invented a few years ago, gives me the impression we are the away team.

And for all the s**t about it looking weak, did we look weak when we won two grand finals in white shorts? Did Geelong look weak wearing white shorts in most home games during their run as one of the greatest teams of all time?

The players and culture demonstrate strength, not the colour of your shorts. If this and a new logo is our idea of showing strength, we have our heads up our arses.

And as for the club covertly changing our home guernsey without consultation to the members, that is for the tip.

You got to laugh at these Turkeys Hardon. It is a moronic argument. In my mind there are some non negotiables. Our name North Melbourne. Our base Hardon St. Our jumper that is blue and white stripes 3 off with the middle stripe being blue in colour. But there are idiots out there who feel compelled to reinvent the wheel. Our club is beautiful as it is. The traditional guernsey is a thing of beauty. It is the jumper we all wore as children. That we still wear now. Why some idiots want to **** with tradition because of a look is beyond me. But I suppose when the only sentence these Twits can mutter is Gobble, Gobble, Gobble should we expect any different? :stern look
So often these days an old house with character has been pulled down and replaced with apartments. Whilst there is much more the apartments offer because of the newness, there is so much lost for ever. That is how i see my club . So much being removed over the years.

It's ******* nonsensical.

Us wearing the blue strip, invented a few years ago, gives me the impression we are the away team.

And for all the s**t about it looking weak, did we look weak when we won two grand finals in white shorts? Did Geelong look weak wearing white shorts in most home games during their run as one of the greatest teams of all time?

The players and culture demonstrate strength, not the colour of your shorts. If this and a new logo is our idea of showing strength, we have our heads up our arses.

And as for the club covertly changing our home guernsey without consultation to the members, that is for the tip.
It's not nonsensical imo Arden, but clearly something you're not happy with.

Personally, I think the 'mostly white' stuff looks like a 'watered down' version of our proper home strip and the impression of it being our away strip doesn't help. It's accentuated when we end up wearing a third preference strip across many home and away games! That's a personal view that it seems many share, given this decision?! (I didn't like that it happened in our '99 GF either btw. Geelong are the only team, imo, that look better with the white shorts.)

Of course, other things being equal, it means nothing if the team wearing it doesn't play with the aggression we demand; that's a given whether we wear white, royal blue or puce and has no bearing on this debate imho.

I hope those poo-pooing the colour of the shorts debate as trivial don't now complain about the change of home jumpers. North Melbourne is North Melbourne, right? Aesthetics and tradition, imo, are in the same category; they're both about personal values and some will place one over the other. Same as the logo which as been (covertly ?!) changed. No nod to tradition there, with aesthetics winning out.

I agree with you Zondor, this has knobs on it. They just changed our magnificent jumper without approval from the members.

Actually, when I look at my old pin striped 70's jumper, a Qantas badged 80's jumper and my Hypertech PC 90's jumper, they all have an extra blue stripe on each side. This must have something to do with that they are all XL size but the effect is, when this traditional jumper is worn with blue shorts, the overall look is blue but when they are worn with white shorts, the effect appears more white. I truly wish we had of kept it.
The almost wholly blue uniform does not look anything like our traditional rig at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you Zondor, this has knobs on it. They just changed our magnificent jumper without approval from the members.
They did that with the logo too. Are you unhappy they did that without member approval?

Actually, when I look at my old pin striped 70's jumper, a Qantas badged 80's jumper and my Hypertech PC 90's jumper, they all have an extra blue stripe on each side. This must have something to do with that they are all XL size but the effect is, when this traditional jumper is worn with blue shorts, the overall look is blue but when they are worn with white shorts, the effect appears more white. I truly wish we had of kept it. The almost wholly blue uniform does not look anything like our traditional rig at all.
It doesn't look like the traditional rig, of course. But it is a clear 'reverse image' and one we've worn for a few seasons now, with lots of positive feedback. I don't recall people expressing much/any opposition to it which is pretty remarkable when you consider feedback on other clash strips.

I think this whole thing falls into the category of 'consultation' (eg focus groups), not broad-based member 'engagement', let alone 'approval.'

They did that with the logo too. Are you unhappy they did that without member approval?

It doesn't look like the traditional rig, of course. But it is a clear 'reverse image' and one we've worn for a few seasons now, with lots of positive feedback. I don't recall people expressing much/any opposition to it which is pretty remarkable when you consider feedback on other clash strips.

I think this whole thing falls into the category of 'consultation' (eg focus groups), not broad-based member 'engagement', let alone 'approval.'
Kimbo our home rig has been a very recognisable blue and white stripes for over 80 years. It is as bloody important to me as our name.
Logo's and advertising didn't even feature until around '76 and they change constantly. I'm not sure how you even begin to compare a logo change with a home jumper change.

It's not nonsensical imo Arden, but clearly something you're not happy with.

Personally, I think the 'mostly white' stuff looks like a 'watered down' version of our proper home strip and the impression of it being our away strip doesn't help. It's accentuated when we end up wearing a third preference strip across many home and away games! That's a personal view that it seems many share, given this decision?! (I didn't like that it happened in our '99 GF either btw. Geelong are the only team, imo, that look better with the white shorts.)

Of course, other things being equal, it means nothing if the team wearing it doesn't play with the aggression we demand; that's a given whether we wear white, royal blue or puce and has no bearing on this debate imho.

I hope those poo-pooing the colour of the shorts debate as trivial don't now complain about the change of home jumpers. North Melbourne is North Melbourne, right? Aesthetics and tradition, imo, are in the same category; they're both about personal values and some will place one over the other. Same as the logo which as been (covertly ?!) changed. No nod to tradition there, with aesthetics winning out.

Come on Kimbos, I know you are from Western Australia but I didn't expect you to speak like a franchise supporter.

A 147 year old club shouldn't change its guernsey for something that 'looks better' or we might sell more of. Love the club, love the jumper. Shall we trade up on our wives/husbands for someone who looks better? Hell, if we are going down the road of aesthetics, I believe that Fitzroy's strip was the best looking of all time, so why not adopt that?

Our guernsey is our visual representation of our club, you don't just change that. I know that the blue jumper was JB's idea and pet and it appears that this is his parting gift. Very Eddie like move, who changed Collingwood's jumper almost as soon as he was in office. Seems like these kind of people need some sort of signature move, to create a legacy.

What we should be doing is getting into the faces of the AFL and demanding to wear our full home kit in OUR home games. Showing them that blue shorts don't create a clash against half the teams we aren't allowed to wear them against. The other thing we need to do is to go back to the roots of our home guernsey. For whatever reason, it has become far more white in recent times. Thinner stripes, cut off stripes, thinner cuffs and collars, lower stripes on the back, creating more white space. This in turn makes the white shorts stand out ever further. Get some blue on the white shorts, like Carlton have done.

We have contributed to this mess ourselves. But to prioritise the colour of our shorts over our home guernsey is weak. Blue shorts aren't even traditional, we have been wearing white shorts in games far longer than we have been wearing blue.

Kimbo our home rig has been a very recognisable blue and white stripes for over 80 years. It is as bloody important to me as our name.
Logo's and advertising didn't even feature until around '76 and they change constantly. I'm not sure how you even begin to compare a logo change with a home jumper change.
Fair enough. I do think, however, that neither requires 'member approval'.

To be honest, I suspect I feel the way you do about the home jumper, with the home jumper with blue shorts. Traditional home jumper with blue (dark) shorts is what we should wear in our home games. End of story, I'd like to think.

But, unfortunately, for whatever reason it doesn't look like that will happen as much as I think it should in virtually all home games. So, if that can't be achieved, then this is the next best for me. For whatever reason, I don't have the same attachment to the traditional home jumper when paired with white/away shorts. Has always looked 'less than' to me.

Fair enough. I do think, however, that neither requires 'member approval'.

To be honest, I suspect I feel the way you do about the home jumper, with the home jumper with blue shorts. Traditional home jumper with blue (dark) shorts is what we should wear in our home games. End of story, I'd like to think.

But, unfortunately, for whatever reason it doesn't look like that will happen as much as I think it should in virtually all home games. So, if that can't be achieved, then this is the next best for me. For whatever reason, I don't have the same attachment to the traditional home jumper when paired with white/away shorts. Has always looked 'less than' to me.
I agree with you that this shouldn't require member approval. The only reason I suggested it is because they actually dared to change it!

Come on Kimbos, I know you are from Western Australia but I didn't expect you to speak like a franchise supporter.
Not cool man, not cool.

A 147 year old club shouldn't change its guernsey for something that 'looks better' or we might sell more of. Love the club, love the jumper. Shall we trade up on our wives/husbands for someone who looks better? Hell, if we are going down the road of aesthetics, I believe that Fitzroy's strip was the best looking of all time, so why not adopt that?

Our guernsey is our visual representation of our club, you don't just change that. I know that the blue jumper was JB's idea and pet and it appears that this is his parting gift. Very Eddie like move, who changed Collingwood's jumper almost as soon as he was in office. Seems like these kind of people need some sort of signature move, to create a legacy.
Firstly, yep Fitzroy's jumper was awesome (with blue shorts).

Secondly, where the hell have you gone with the trading up of spouses? Keep it real Arden.

Thirdly, suggesting aesthetics don't count (at all) is framing the debate to suit your argument. That is, tradition is the only thing that counts. For you, it's clear that that's the case. For others, that isn't necessarily the case and that's legitimate, without diminishing other views as 'franchise'.

What we should be doing is getting into the faces of the AFL and demanding to wear our full home kit in OUR home games. Showing them that blue shorts don't create a clash against half the teams we aren't allowed to wear them against. The other thing we need to do is to go back to the roots of our home guernsey. For whatever reason, it has become far more white in recent times. Thinner stripes, cut off stripes, thinner cuffs and collars, lower stripes on the back, creating more white space. This in turn makes the white shorts stand out ever further. Get some blue on the white shorts, like Carlton have done.

We have contributed to this mess ourselves. But to prioritise the colour of our shorts over our home guernsey is weak. Blue shorts aren't even traditional, we have been wearing white shorts in games far longer than we have been wearing blue.
So, on the one hand you're suggesting we go into bat for our full home kit, including blue shorts. Presumably this is on the basis of tradition, since aesthetics is a no-no.

Then, on the other hand, you suggest white shorts are more traditional than blue. If that's so, why do you care if we wear blue shorts or not? Your championing of tradition suggests we just go with the white shorts, right? ;) (Then you want to go messin' with the white shorts... for aesthetics?!)

It seems 'everyone' agrees traditional home strip with blue shorts is the way to go (ie preferred strip). It further seems that 'everyone' agrees we should have been more staunch (there's a word I haven't used for a while) in our insistence that we wear it and that the other team sorts out the (supposed) clash.

After that, there seems to be disagreement. While I haven't picked up 'anyone' dislikes the new home strip :) some prefer traditional home jumpers with white shorts as ongoing home strip, while others, like me, prefer the new arrangement. The former imply any change is sacrilege and 'some things can't be messed with'.

I've been consistent over many years in saying that the royal blue and white, and preferably vertical stripes, is what can't be messed with. It's why I detested the Argentina strip and why I like this current one. People support footy clubs for a whole range of non-rational reasons and whatever mattered to them in their choice and continues to matter to them about it, will be 'non-negotiable'. Your non-negotiables are a little too restricted for my liking.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, just to go back to this. You've named 80 years as being significant, but 40 years isn't seen the same way. Where is the line when it comes to 'unchangeable tradition'? I'm being somewhat rhetorical, of course, because it serves to highlight, to me, the particularly subjective nature of 'traditional values'.

Sorry mate, just to go back to this. You've named 80 years as being significant, but 40 years isn't seen the same way. Where is the line when it comes to 'unchangeable tradition'? I'm being somewhat rhetorical, of course, because it serves to highlight, to me, the particularly subjective nature of 'traditional values'.
Whilst some of the newer clubs have changed their jumper, i'm unsure if many of the Victorian clubs have gone down this path. This maybe part of the reason why the change of the NM jumper is to some unpopular.

Whilst some of the newer clubs have changed their jumper, i'm unsure if many of the Victorian clubs have gone down this path. This maybe part of the reason why the change of the NM jumper is to some unpopular.

I would think the change of jumper is unpopular to the high majority, including myself.

But that is not the key factor in my support of moving to predominantly blue considering AFL policy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back