2nds Northern Blues 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Just looking through the final playing list for 2015 it is quite apparent that Carlton's younger players are again going to have to carry much of the burden for the Northern Blues. It would seem the Northern Blues continue to operate on a shoestring budget & are therefore unable to pad the list with some decent AFL delistees.

It looks like the Northern Blues will be absent from the finals again in 2015.

Just looking through the final playing list for 2015 it is quite apparent that Carlton's younger players are again going to have to carry much of the burden for the Northern Blues. It would seem the Northern Blues continue to operate on a shoestring budget & are therefore unable to pad the list with some decent AFL delistees.

It looks like the Northern Blues will be absent from the finals again in 2015.
I'm inclined to agree. If (and this is a pretty huge IFFF) the Carlton list can stay reasonably undamaged (it hasn't happened in the last decade, but we won't go there), the Carlton listed players MAY be able to sneak the Baby Blues into the finals. Last year, early in the season when we actually had a few players available to run around at Northern, we did play well and we defeated a number of eventual finalists and the eventual premier. However, once the list started to be tested for depth, we fell away very badly and were not able to compete reasonably against ordinary sides.
This season the Baby Blues have lost again some of their bigger names (Thomas and a certain ex Docker and Magpie, for example), but we simply didn't suffer the huge loss of talent that we did in the previous off season. It could be argued that there was no more talent to lose, but I like to think otherwise.
Unfortunately, while we run on minimum funds, I see us continuing this way, always wondering if the talent we manage to scrounge is going to stay or head for 'greener' pastures. We really need to provide something better if our youngsters are to develop adequately. They need to know how to win and they need some experience to show them how it is done.
Nor can it help the future prospects of the NB's coaches when they simply don't have the cattle. I have not been overly impressed by Webster as a coach, but his job is undermined terribly by the lack of talent he has to play with. He did a good job early in the year, but by the end he was not getting his message across because the players knew they simply didn't have what it took.
Like mediumsized, I am not confident of getting a finals' berth. We are too dependent of Carlton side of the equation.

Just watched the highlights video of Alex Aurrichio, that guy is a solid unit. Anyone reckon he'll manage a few games for the A's?

Considering how raw he is, it would not be expected that he would play many games. However, with the general lack of talent in the Preston side of the equation, it is almost certain that he will get a number of chances. To his benefit is that his body is mature: he won't take 3 years like an 18 year old kid to develop his body. He has the strength and the speed. It is clear he has some skill. Now he needs to gain the feel of the game. That may take a while, but you never know. He does have the advantage of having played with an oval ball, so he will be able to read it in the flight.
I know he is a long shot, but you have to give him a lot of credit for his persistence.

Considering how raw he is, it would not be expected that he would play many games. However, with the general lack of talent in the Preston side of the equation, it is almost certain that he will get a number of chances. To his benefit is that his body is mature: he won't take 3 years like an 18 year old kid to develop his body. He has the strength and the speed. It is clear he has some skill. Now he needs to gain the feel of the game. That may take a while, but you never know. He does have the advantage of having played with an oval ball, so he will be able to read it in the flight.
I know he is a long shot, but you have to give him a lot of credit for his persistence.
He does look a bit awkward catching and kicking the ball on the run but that might improve with regular training and experience. Plonk him in the goal square one on one and he could do alright.

He does look a bit awkward catching and kicking the ball on the run but that might improve with regular training and experience. Plonk him in the goal square one on one and he could do alright.
:confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The clashes might be annoying, but as it stands we are the only team that has our reserves team playing in curtain raisers to the AFL team. Collingwood & Essendon had their requests denied.

That's not really relevant to what we're complaining about though.

It prevents the potential clashing of 2 more games so it sorta does :p My post was more directed @ MSR's right above mine about the VFL doing us no favours - they have done one in giving us curtain raisers twice @ Etihad this year.

It prevents the potential clashing of 2 more games so it sorta does :p My post was more directed @ MSR's right above mine about the VFL doing us no favours - they have done one in giving us curtain raisers twice @ Etihad this year.

As a personal choice, i'd almost prefer to go to Princes Park rather than a curtain raiser.
Love going out there to watch footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back