2nds Northern Blues 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Krooz...
The goal, the spread from the contest, the contested possession...
A good recovery and a week of solid training away from playing.

It's that play at 2.13 I really liked from him.
Many players would go all out for the possession but that smart and simple push of the ball and then following the contest, resulted in a goal.

Garlett spending some time up forward?
Was he used at both ends, or has the club pulled the pin on his backline role?

Garlett played largely forward but as I mentioned, he's deadly quiet out on the ground.
Whereas we have Gibbons that demands the ball at every call, including the bad calls, Garlett floats into good spaces a little too unassumingly for mine.
No urgency or demand of the ball at all. Sometimes one has to make themselves visible to team-mates. He just doesn't do it.

Garlett played largely forward but as I mentioned, he's deadly quiet out on the ground.
Whereas we have Gibbons that demands the ball at every call, including the bad calls, Garlett floats into good spaces a little too unassumingly for mine.
No urgency or demand of the ball at all. Sometimes one has to make themselves visible to team-mates. He just doesn't do it.

Sounds like it's all in the name

It's that play at 2.13 I really liked from him.
Many players would go all out for the possession but that smart and simple push of the ball and then following the contest, resulted in a goal.

Any small forwards in the state league that have caught your eye as a potential mid-season rookie?

Any small forwards in the state league that have caught your eye as a potential mid-season rookie?

I only follow the NB's to watch some of the development of the younger guys.
Not particularly interested in the competition, I'mm sorry to say.

I do though wonder who our List management team may have had their eye on yesterday.
I don't think SOS brought out the whole crew just to watch his sons and nor would have they come out to watch the NB's when they could access that footage easy enough and get feedback from Fraser.

Just seemed odd they'd all need to/want to, be there

I do though wonder who our List management team may have had their eye on yesterday.
I don't think SOS brought out the whole crew just to watch his sons and nor would have they come out to watch the NB's when they could access that footage easy enough and get feedback from Fraser.

From the highlights, looks like that Geelong team had Narkle in it and Cam Guthrie too.

Maybe to see who Geelong have coming through their VFL factory or what may have been with Krueger?

S.Fisher, Palmer & Blakey still in the process for the mid-season. Also Owies, Finbar, BSOS, Stocker all lined-up from their work from last draft, perhaps a report card on their selections.

Just on that, one doesn't have to dominate here but just to show something worthy of development or promotion,.

I saw some terrific attributes in Stocker, but can see why he may take time getting his fitness to a suitable level.
One thing he cannot do, nor should be allowed to do is to bend over and have his hands on his knees which he did today. Not a particularly good look but did come back late in the quarter and extricated the ball in a quality fashion and picked out just the right player to get us out of trouble.

Why?

VFL player review: Round 2

Would like to punch some holes into this, but it's very much what I observed.
Kreuzer and JSilvagni clearly the best CFC listed players on the day.

Why? You can't give your opponent a leg up.
Start showing weaknesses and they will be exploited.
Am I really writing this?

Whatever happened to "the RAT" Sam Fowler. Best junior I ever saw.
I know he played with the NB's a couple of seasons ago.
Knows how to kick a goal and has speed and mongrel.
Just what we need atm
He's back here at the Dromana Tigers....had a great year in 2018 in their premiership year.
I'll give you some reports during the year....I'll be heading to some of the home games.

Edit: not a bad highlights package as a small forward with the NB's back in 2017, absolute pocket rocket in the mold of Jack Higgins...lucky Carlton are well stocked for small forwards at the moment :think:

http://northernbluesfc.com.au/?p=5552

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

might risk vickie park saturday - expect generic reflections, inaccurate calls, dubious critiquing and an early departure..........
Great spot to watch VFL footy, with the food trucks and the nostalgic feel to the place.

Remember being taken to watch the Blue play there in a Collingwood coterie box (really just 4 seats partition off from the rest of the stand)in the stand behind the goal and being the only supporter cheer the blues to a win in amongst the Collingwood members. Oh for the days when we were a force.

It really worries me how little we as a club seem to care about the skill of playing forward. It appears we believe we can just place any player on our list there and give them a role.

Can we please start rewarding natural forwards, fowards who run the right patterns, forwards who demand the ball, fowards who get to the right spots and make it easy for our mids, forwards who instinctively know where the goals are!

Bolton seems to pick our forward 6 based on reputation or tackle count, neither of which help with the above! It appears we pick the other 16 spots in the team and then place the 6 players we want in the team down forward.

VFL forward reports:

Jarrod Garlett:
"he’s dangerous around goals and he’s really creative, we saw little pieces of excitement from him. We need to see more of it but he’ll keep getting better spending his time between midfield, forward and down back."

Seems an inconsistent message to me, and not one that would allow us to find that dangerous/creative player around goals.

Is he now tried as a forward? Or is it just where he plays in the VFL occasionly? Give him a clear role and let him work towards it, especially if it is foward craft. We a desperately in need of it.

Patrick Kerr:

"Patty Kerr had three or four shots on goal and presented well at the kicker. His contested marking work on the day wasn’t a strong suit, so there’s something for us to work on there this week. He’s going to keep working on his ability to apply pressure as a tall. He’s definitely having an impact for us as a lead-up forward and his hands are as clean as anyone’s."

These two are exciting, yet appear very underated by the senior coaching staff. We would rather play 4 talls in the ones on reputation, who all appears to "roam". The roaming forward role is a great role, if you have structure for them to play off - we appears to have Gibbons as that person?

Won't be a popular opinion, however getting Kerr in to "present well at" the mids, and "having an impact as a lead up forward" would be a great move. Then one of Harry, Charlie or Mitch have to play structural as well, can potentially play two roaming from there.

Finbar O'Dwyer
Finbar, he was lively: that was the best way to describe his game. He did some things which were really classy for a young player. He’s got to keep building his ability to play through four quarters of football, he’s someone who hasn’t played a lot of football in 12 months. He’s a player who we see little improvements from and we think he’s going to be a clever player in the front half of the ground.

Looks lively and creative, however will be a development year for him. Don't believe we will see him this year.

Matthew Owies
Matthew Owies was a bit unwell on the day but he was able to provide a spark in our forward half, whether he was jumping for aerial balls, halving contests or applying pressure on the ground. For someone who’s new to footy, he’s someone who will get better each week. As a small forward, he’s doing some things we like.

Thought he was a long way off in the 2 games I saw, and despite the above report, hard to belive a forward who has 2 touches and no score involvements is "doing some thing we like". However, it is was some in the seniors do - so potentially it is?

Old fashioned crap, that would only get picked at if their was nothing else to be picked at. If a bloke can play and is playing well, who could give a fat rats? Honestly. You See blokes bending over out of breath all the time playing afl. Seen blokes vomit. Rob harvey and chris judd spent half their careers bent over.

Old fashioned crap, that would only get picked at if their was nothing else to be picked at. If a bloke can play and is playing well, who could give a fat rats? Honestly. You See blokes bending over out of breath all the time playing afl. Seen blokes vomit. Rob harvey and chris judd spent half their careers bent over.

Sorry, but I think you're wrong.
If you were at the match and saw what I saw in context, I'd grant you the liberty to tell me I was wrong, but maybe you weren't there but I was.

There was no other NB's player that showed themselves to be tired and they had every right to do so, because the effort was huge.
It was only Stocker that expressed his 'pain' of the contest in such a manner, with hands on knees gasping for air.

Yes, it's a very small thing and even less important given the game he fronted with, but it wasn't a look the coaches would not have appreciated for the reasons I've already expressed.
Start showing that you're struggling grants a second wind to the opponent. Yes, it can be psychological, but one can't give their opponent that advantage.

https://www.3ser.org.au/

WilliamsonTeam.jpg

The club might hold over one emergency long enough to prevent them from playing in this game, but everyone else listed should be playing at AFL or VFL level on Saturday or Sunday.

Last edited:
WilliamsonTeam.jpg

The club might hold over one emergency long enough to prevent them from playing in this game, but everyone else listed should be playing at AFL or VFL level on Saturday.

Thought you'd save the Thin Lizzy for LeBois Jimmae. ;)

Fingers crossed for the "newbies" (no injuries please).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back