2nds Northern Blues 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Some really nice highlights from the game. Nice to see some sound set shot goal kicking from Cottrell. He looks like he has put on some size from when he was first recruited. Hopefully he gets good continuity with his footy over the next few months.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I still can't get over the handball receive and kick inside 50 by TDK. Not many big men in the league who can do that. Coupled with his awesome vertical leap and ground ball presence/pressure, damn.

I still can't get over the handball receive and kick inside 50 by TDK. Not many big men in the league who can do that. Coupled with his awesome vertical leap and ground ball presence/pressure, damn.

Yeah, that wasn’t the movement you’d typically associate with a ruckman. He’s a very exciting prospect, I do love the way he gets himself involved in the play. Not someone who just taps the ball and spectates.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

These guys are quite pleasantly having a reasonable season and good on them, well overdue and some good recruiting to make them a competitive team has helped a lot.

I think it's fairly clear that there are a lot of non-Carlton listed players we have encouraged over to the Northern Blues to have a look at. We would not be the first team to do this and recruit players this way.

Jon O'Rourke, really high draft pick, was once rated fairly highly. Would have been selected by SOS in his time at GWS, 25 year old who has had a shocking run with injury. No doubt we are having a close look here.

Alex Johnson - 27 year old who has had a shocking run with injury but he can play. Wouldn't have bothered coming all the way to Victoria to play VFL if he didn't have the hunger to get back to playing AFL and you would have to think that if he gets through this season Carlton might take him. Could be a useful player. Probably a good connection with Agresta and Nic Newman.

Brazier, Anderson. Probably keeping an eye on them too.

Good to see some reasonable numbers but again probably no one standing out and demanding a game apart from perhaps Goddard.

Goddard - Really unlucky he's a rookie we have a glut of key defenders with good form at the moment. No way Weitering or Marchbank are getting dropped. Casboult has bobbed up and playing well and Jones due to return. He genuinely looks good AFL quality and it would not surprise me if other clubs come knocking and seeking a trade. There's not much more than he can do to get back into the VFL.

Interesting to see Cottrell finally playing and playing some good footy. His running capacity is appealing and if his skills are good and he keep building his game then he has to be pretty close at getting a game soon you would think.

Kennedy is a consistent 30 possession VFL player but as we've seen 30 possessions as an inside mid doesn't translate to much at AFL level, particularly if you struggle athletically. In the past we have seen players such as McLean and Kerridge and they were closer to 40 possession game players at this level and this is where Kennedy needs to get for mine. There's 10 missing possessions in his game and from what I see it's improving his running and his aggression and physicality to get there. Really valuable to have a player in our reserves doing this though.

Great to see TDK back, he would have played games this year if not for injury. Hope to see him spend more time in the ruck.

Great to get a rare moment where the AFL side is not playing Sunday or interstate and the emergencies can actually play.

There are a lot of players who are just a level below AFL but are good VFL players out there and this seems to be where the wins come from. Kennedy, Kerr, Garlett, Fasolo, Schumacher, Lobbe, Phillips, Macreadie. They are all nearly AFL quality but good VFL quality and they all seem to contribute without blowing the competition away. A few of these guys could just tidy up a few weak areas and go to the next level they could really make it, it's tough.

Penvv2M.png

3Or5ACQ.png

Happy to hear Cottrell looks likely, must have been a reason to give him a spot on the list.

Need players with at least one real strength that sets them apart.

Cottrell is my man, have claimed him. He's got 'it'.

Slim Shady lookalike.

Dam, nice goals from 50m.

There's quite a few guys in our AFL team who i just know aren't going to kick a goal when they're lining up from 50m out...a lot don't even make the distance.
Cottrell was clearing the goal line easily. Big kick on him.

I saw it similarly. He had a solid patch late in the game but was otherwise unspectacular. He got his hands to the football at stoppages, which was a positive, but Coburg's midfield was really undersized.

He still looks really slow up close and one thing I noticed also is that he doesn't really talk to his teammates off the field. Most players, even the younger ones, were strategising amongst each other on the bench, whereas Kennedy would just sit there quietly.

And when he did come to the bench it seemed like he still had petrol in the tank. I don't think he's pushing himself as hard as he should, certainly not to the level that Cripps would.

A decent game overall, but not one that I would reward with selection. Would like to see some more urgency in his game.

Interesting observation...maybe personal issues? We've seen in the past players go through bad form when having relationship issues or whatever.

Would be a little sad/disappointing for Matt if it's just a case of being an introvert and not really getting on with the other boys. He is a country lad, maybe the Melbourne city life isn't agreeing with him.

I'm sure everyone here has experienced that feeling at least once of being at work and feeling a little left out if there's other people talking and in friendship groups around you, going out to lunch, hanging out after work etc but you're not invited or included. Feels pretty shitty. Wonder if Matt is experiencing that.

Dam, nice goals from 50m.

There's quite a few guys in our AFL team who i just know aren't going to kick a goal when they're lining up from 50m out...a lot don't even make the distance.
Cottrell was clearing the goal line easily. Big kick on him.

He did have a bit of wind behind him. Still great finishes though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really liking the sound of Cottrell and the footage of his goals on the weekend.

Think he has a game that will translate very strongly to AFL level too, what with his monster tank. I reckon he might even get half a dozen senior games to round out the year.

He's probably competing with the likes of Walsh, Setterfield, O'Brien and Murphy at the moment, so a few more guys to surpass on the depth chart. From my viewing, he needs to further improve his kicking, but he's not a bad kick by any means.

I would have no hesitation elevating him and Gibbons to the senior list next season. Guy could use a pay rise.

Best guess would have JSilvagni held over for the main match.
That still has us with 17 CFC listed players on the park against The Dogs, which is quite a high number for us.

It's around this time of the year that some names start getting scratched out.
Wonder whether we're still telling players this far out that they won't be part of the CFC the following year?

Best guess would have JSilvagni held over for the main match.
That still has us with 17 CFC listed players on the park against The Dogs, which is quite a high number for us.

It's around this time of the year that some names start getting scratched out.
Wonder whether we're still telling players this far out that they won't be part of the CFC the following year?

Would think that the players who are essentially finished would have a fair idea.

For me, they are definitely Lobbe and LeBois.

Then there are guys who should be seriously nervous, such as Garlett, Fasolo and Lang. These guys have the talent to stick around, but will need to show the desire. Big 10 weeks.

Phillips probably sticks around by default, although if we have our eyes set on a mature ruckman elsewhere, he may be let go too.

Kerr and Schumacher 1 year deals.

Goddard and Casboult have played themselves into being useful one way or another. Would retain one of them.

Would be keen to read your thoughts in the list management thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back