News Northern Blues alignment with the Club comes to an end - SAD :(

Remove this Banner Ad

It is the end of Preston Bullants as a 138 year old club.
Really hard to listen to the crap in media only calling it via the name of Northern Blues.
s**t house lack of respect by media not identifying it as the loss is for Preston as a well known VFA club. Highlights the shambles of what the AFL did to the VFA for in the death of a club, they not even known by the real name anymore.

I do feel for the Preston Football Club and its history. Sad to see a club so long established fold however as far as being our AFL reserves team they were not up to it in recent years and I for one am very glad that we will have our own stand alone reserves going forward.
It was not producing quality players that could come through and was also greatly underperforming considering the number of Carlton senior list players it had playing week in and week out. A positive for Carlton I have no doubt.
I like Rocket Eades suggestions in an article in the Herald Sun a few days ago in regards to the future of the VFL.
Particularly the suggestion to televise more VFL footy so people can watch a high standard games and get to see exciting youngsters or more mature players that could possibly play at AFL level.

If HALF as much was put into what is the second best comp in the state as what has been tipped into the AFLW we could all be watching good footy and get to see possible future AFL players. This would include up and coming TAC players good enough to get a game so at last we could see the kids that are to be drafted instead of just hearing about them or seeing them in one or two U18 State Carnival games.

It is so wrong that local footy pays so much better than VFL and televising it and having more money would change this. Does not even have to be live but curtain raisers would be brilliant. FOXTEL ,s 24 hour footy channel could easily fit in these games and people would watch it . Channel 7 second and third channels also.

VFL players have to have an almost AFL commitment but pitiful renumeration. SO WRONG!

The problem also of the younger Northern Blues listed players that could not get a game as up to 12 or more Carlton listed players played every week (as they must) and the rest of spots taken by the senior N.B. players , most of which that have little upside but terrific servants of the club.
This left the younger ones having to go back and play local footy most weeks which is never going to develop them although they made much more coin.
The demise of the development League was the main problem for these boys . Difficult situation but not handled well by N.B. in my opinion and I was close to it for last couple of seasons. Seen some very talented young ones that were not quite ready for senior footy yet not get an opportunity and become disillusioned and give up on the dream and go back to local footy. SAD.

Last edited:
I do feel for the Preston Football Club and its history. Sad to see a club so long established fold however as far as being our AFL reserves team they were not up to it in recent years and I for one am very glad that we will have our own stand alone reserves going forward.
It was not producing quality players that could come through and was also greatly underperforming considering the number of Carlton senior list players it had playing week in and week out. A positive for Carlton I have no doubt.
I like Rocket Eades suggestions in an article in the Herald Sun a few days ago in regards to the future of the VFL.
Particularly the suggestion to televise more VFL footy so people can watch a high standard games and get to see exciting youngsters or more mature players that could possibly play at AFL level.

If HALF as much was put into what is the second best comp in the state as what has been tipped into the AFLW we would all be watching good footy and get to see possible future AFL players. This would include up and coming TAC players good enough to get a game so at last we could see the kids that are to be drafted instead of just hearing about them or seeing them in one or two U18 State Carnival games.

It is so wrong that local footy pays so much better than VFL and televising it and having more money would change this. Does not even have to be live but curtain raisers would be brilliant. FOXTEL ,s 24 hour footy channel could easily fit in these games and people would watch it . Channel 7 second and third channels also.
VFL players have to have an almost AFL commitment but pitiful remuneration. SO WRONG!

The problem also of the younger Northern Blues listed players that could not get a game as up to 12 or more Carlton listed players played every week (as they must) and the rest of spots taken by the senior N.B. players that have little upside but terrific servants of the club.
This left the younger ones having to go back and play local footy most weeks which is never going to develop them although they made much more coin.
The demise of the development League was the main problem for these boys . Difficult situation but not handled well by N.B. in my opinion and I was close to it for last couple of seasons. Seen some very talented young ones that were not quite ready for senior footy yet not get an opportunity and become disillusioned and give up on the dream and go back to local footy. SAD.

Not producing results or developing players, I reckon that has far more to do with Carlton FC than it did with the Bullants.

If HALF as much was put into what is the second best comp in the state as what has been tipped into the AFLW we could all be watching good footy and get to see possible future AFL players. This would include up and coming TAC players good enough to get a game so at last we could see the kids that are to be drafted instead of just hearing about them or seeing them in one or two U18 State Carnival games.

VFL players have to have an almost AFL commitment but pitiful renumeration. SO WRONG!

The problem also of the younger Northern Blues listed players that could not get a game as up to 12 or more Carlton listed players played every week (as they must) and the rest of spots taken by the senior N.B. players , most of which that have little upside but terrific servants of the club.
Carlton has been pulling the strings for some time and the result has been that more than a few talented footballers have opted to head elsewhere or drop back to local level rather than continuing to play for our twos.
Rebranding the Northern Blues to a Carlton 2s alone will do nothing to improve on our performance or the development pathway provided by that level,
I realise that finances have been tight for some time but without proper investment in players and development, our VFL affiliate will always trail behind the Tigers, Hawks etc.
It'll be interesting to watch whether the club starts taking its VFL affiliate seriously.

Speaking of Preston and no longer really around.
I saw this a couple of days ago on youtube of two VFA clubs that have gone in grand final with one of our greatest players in it before he moved to Carlton...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back