2nds Northern Blues 2019

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd be very happy to sign him now. Just think with our improving injury list we may wait. With the mid year draft would we get first pick being last last year?
Great question Soapy....I was asking the same thing when GCS and ourselves had access to the state league players before the trade period. Who gets preference to which players?
I did hear Terry Wallace on Gues SEN sometime before xmas saying that there is an unwritten rule that if an AFL club wants to draft a player in their 'reserves', other clubs give them first preference.
Don't know if it's true or bullshizen though....

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
I'd be very happy to sign him now. Just think with our improving injury list we may wait. With the mid year draft would we get first pick being last last year?

Fisher only just turned 21. Huge upside

"Should AFL clubs have a list spot available or one is created through a player being placed on the inactive list, they will be able to add a player to their rookie list and select players based on reverse ladder order at a mid-season date to be specified."

I interpret that as the draft order is based on the current ladder at a specified date in the 2019 season and is not based on the prior season.

So if say Fremantle are 18th on the date of the mid-season draft, they get pick 1.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania

The rules for the proposed mid season draft are another AFL work in progress, rules on the run. Some suggestion will be on live ladder.

Last edited:

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Should AFL clubs have a list spot available or one is created through a player being placed on the inactive list, they will be able to add a player to their rookie list and select players based on reverse ladder order at a mid-season date to be specified.

I interpret that as the draft order is based on the current ladder at a specified date in the 2019 season and is not based on the prior season.

So if say Fremantle are 18th on the date of the mid-season draft, they get pick 1.

Okay then. Sign him now

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Okay then. Sign him now
It’s a no brainer for mine the kid will be a gun and can play straight away as a forward or mid or even half back, why wait and risk him really exploding in the VFL and someone else gets first crack in mid season draft. Should already be on our list imo.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton

He's the same age as JSOS, Samo and Polson, so would be part of the development group coming through.
Also, he would no doubt be even a better player than he currently is in the NB's, being surrounded by Crippa, Kruez and co in the midfield as a unit.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Yeah, come on SOS, Fisher Friday!!!!
I've heard SOS loves reading all of this stuff on BF, so I think we've created enough groundswell for us to grab him before the cutoff....

Very much doubt it. Maybe someone has shown him a caption of the AFL lookalikes but I highly doubt he could be bothered wasting time reading anything on this forum.

I'm sure there are people working at the club posting rumours on this board though. What he may do is authorise specific information to leak onto this thread. After all, BigFooty is a means of communication with supporters.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
We may want to keep a list spot open for the mid season draft.

We may want to monitor the progress of a couple of players from the 2018 draft that weren't taken.

We could also have our eye on someone from the WAFL/SANFL/NEAFL but want a greater body of work before drafting them.

By all reports we do & have stated that from NOV but our list has endured injuries & a retirement since then.

I still don’t know how we have a list spot available after Gibbons & Cottrell (Fisher signed with Cottrell to the NB’s preferred) as we have 40 on the senior & 4 rookies now + Owies as Cat B.

So, unless either Doc (thought they were keeping options avail for him to play later this season..?) or we’ve prematurely signed off on Pickett’s season being over and onto the Inactive List, we’re full up.

Fisher seems to have returned in the same quality form as he finished last season, hopefully we can get him across the line & onto our list - especially if any other club/s are looking at topping up with midfield options.

Sep 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
I'd almost be inclined to just leave JSOS in the 2s for the first half of the season as a pure mid. Work on his craft as a full-time mid, we know he has some tricks and can find some space resting forward but whether he can find the footy consistently and distribute it effectively as a midfielder while bringing his natural intensity to every contest will be the determining factor in him finding a regular spot in the best 22. He won't be able to really refine those areas being a Mr fix it type player in the AFL side.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
By all reports we do & have stated that from NOV but our list has endured injuries & a retirement since then.

I still don’t know how we have a list spot available after Gibbons & Cottrell (Fisher signed with Cottrell to the NB’s preferred) as we have 40 on the senior & 4 rookies now + Owies as Cat B.

So, unless either Doc (thought they were keeping options avail for him to play later this season..?) or we’ve prematurely signed off on Pickett’s season being over and onto the Inactive List, we’re full up.

Fisher seems to have returned in the same quality form as he finished last season, hopefully we can get him across the line & onto our list - especially if any other club/s are looking at topping up with midfield options.
I thought so too Bighouse, but SOS stated we still have a list spot available after the signings of Cotters and Gibbo.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I thought so too Bighouse, but SOS stated we still have a list spot available after the signings of Cotters and Gibbo.

It’s apparently in place of Doc but that flies in the face of having the opportunity there for him to return this season.

Blakey & Fisher will be interesting viewing to see how they go, even Palmer who could have replaced Lebois up forward but with a few more traits.

Sep 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
I just think we would be better served giving Jack serious midfield minutes to hone his craft if we really see him as a mid long term. Much more valuable than random 5 min bursts in-between his role as a utility, especially for a guy who hasn't really played a lot of mid in his career even as a junior. If we see him as a utility type long term then by all means, proceed as we have been, but I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s apparently in place of Doc but that flies in the face of having the opportunity there for him to return this season.

Blakey & Fisher will be interesting viewing to see how they go, even Palmer who could have replaced Lebois up forward but with a few more traits.
Both will smash it...in my humble opinion.
Sammy nearly won the NB's B&F last year (only beaten in the last game), after a slow start to the season....as a 20 year old in his first season at VFL. Won the 'player's player' award, but I think we all know this.
Blakey will continue to be that lock down player that will beat his AFL listed player week after week. Also just 21, so worth keeping tabs on.
Palmer too good for VFL, but not sure if any club will be keen to pick him up.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Very much doubt it. Maybe someone has shown him a caption of the AFL lookalikes but I highly doubt he could be bothered wasting time reading anything on this forum.

I'm sure there are people working at the club posting rumours on this board though. What he may do is authorise specific information to leak onto this thread. After all, BigFooty is a means of communication with supporters.

he has help...

monkey.jpg

Press Box Wing

Debutant
May 19, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Watched JLT1 game against * again yesterday to warm up for today. JSOS really caught my eye in that game for having heaps of important touches and tackles and 1%ers in alot of our scoring plays. Stats from the game would suggest he was ordinary with D7 T4 G1 but I thought he was much more influential than that. I'm backing him in for Rd 1 and can't wait until he is racking up those VFL numbers in the main game.

Back