Opinion North's Best Piss-Take 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's now feeling like that fortnight between the NAB cup games and the opening game. I've watched just about every North-related replay, interview, and story I could find. I just enjoyed seeing Narni celebrating his goal and all the media follow-up and fake grass spruiking and started to list the characters we have had at the club over the years. And with the Zurhaar/Larkey duo bringing a bit of larrikin back to the club, I started thinking about the personalities we have had at Arden St. Could we put together a best 22 of those North characters who were either one-of-a-kind quirky/funny or had a comic/bizarre moment that deserves mention.

Best 22 (in progress):
B: Narni, Micky Martyn, Scotty 'Loose' McMahon
HB: Gary 'Crazy Horse' Cowton, Loogie Hansen, Spud Firrito
C: ..., ..., 'Cheeky' Peter Chisnall
HF: Kekovich, Larkey, Zurhaar
F: Jason Love, BBB, Arnie Briedis
Foll: The Galloping Gasometer/Crackers Keenan, 'Tiger' Crosswell, Boomer
Int: Spider Burton/Peter Bell, Nahas, TG, ...

Coach: Brad?

Needs a bit of a centre line. Will update as names come in...

Narni - his first goal celebration, media performances, and grass business spruiking get him a guernsey
1590802273713.png
Micky Martyn - just for being Mick
Crazy Horse - was a bit left-field like Pittard, awkward but effective on the field
Loogie - just for being Loogie, memorable moments with his 180 degree spin on the mark
1590802157589.png
Spud - very funny guy, loved the moment when he threw an opponent's boot away
Keka - smokes at quarter time breaks, nude calendar, etc, he was larger than life and a brilliant footballer
1590802095821.png
Larkey/Zurhaar - our current day comic duo
1590802415096.png
BBB - the hair, the run-up, the awkwardness gets him a gig
Robbie Nahas - Tripod, say no more
Galloping Gasometer - big body, big personality
1590802047821.png
Crackers - was a loose cannon when he rucked, some of his faces were classic
Boomer - cheeky bugger, loved the moment he milked a 50-metre penalty in Hobart, Boomer at his finest
Spider/Belly - just for that tall-short photo in the shocking orange guernsey
1590801946941.png

Last edited:
I'd slot Scotty McMahon into the other back-pocket. I've heard he was the #1 practical joker at the club for many years. The cheeky smile suggests so too.

View attachment 883913
Good call DaveyBoy. His nickname, Loose, says it all really.

It seems there are no shortage of defenders and forwards that fit the larrikin bill but midfielders not so much. Seems to have some similarities to cricket, with most of the personalities the bowlers and wicketkeepers, but the batsmen are pretty dull in comparison.

It's now feeling like that fortnight between the NAB cup games and the opening game. I've watched just about every North-related replay, interview, and story I could find. I just enjoyed seeing Narni celebrating his goal and all the media follow-up and fake grass spruiking and started to list the characters we have had at the club over the years. And with the Zurhaar/Larkey duo bringing a bit of larrikin back to the club, I started thinking about the personalities we have had at Arden St. Could we put together a best 22 of those North characters who were either one-of-a-kind quirky/funny or had a comic/bizarre moment that deserves mention.

Here is my start:
B: Narni, Micky Martyn, Scotty 'Loose' McMahon
HB: Gary 'Crazy Horse' Cowton, Loogie Hansen, Spud Firrito
C: ..., ..., ...
HF: Kekovich, Larkey, Zurhaar
F: ..., BBB, Nahas
Foll: The Galloping Gasometer/Crackers Keenan, ..., Boomer
Int: Spider Burton/Peter Bell, ..., ..., ...

Coach: Brad?

Needs a bit of a centre line. Will update as names come in...

Narni - his first goal celebration, media performances, and grass business spruiking get him a guernsey
View attachment 883888
Micky Martyn - just for being Mick
Crazy Horse - was a bit left-field like Pittard, awkward but effective on the field
Loogie - just for being Loogie, memorable moments with his 180 degree spin on the mark
View attachment 883886
Spud - very funny guy, loved the moment when he threw an opponent's boot away
Keka - smokes at quarter time breaks, nude calendar, etc, he was larger than life and a brilliant footballer
View attachment 883885
Larkey/Zurhaar - our current day comic duo
View attachment 883889
BBB - the hair, the run-up, the awkwardness gets him a gig
Robbie Nahas - Tripod, say no more
Galloping Gasometer - big body, big personality
View attachment 883884
Crackers - was a loose cannon when he rucked, some of his faces were classic
Boomer - cheeky bugger, loved the moment he milked a 50-metre penalty in Hobart, Boomer at his finest
Spider/Belly - just for that tall-short photo in the shocking orange guernsey
View attachment 883882

Definitely Jason Love in the other forward pocket.

Arnold Briedis, mad as a march hare. Has got to make it into the side, he had white line fever sitting on the couch at home. Still has.

Ripping fellow, but yeah you give him a hard time about the 77 and his poor conversion, you'll be told to get ****ed real quick. Along with how many ******* games did you play?

Was on big coin for every goal he kick in the 75 fyi.

I was living overseas during most of Love's stint at Arden St. What was his story?

Three parts cut drinking in a Port Melbourne pub when he was told he had to sober up and get to training. He smashes his pot against the bar, then cuts his forehead with it and told them to tell Kennedy he was injured and couldn't make it.

He could seriously play too. Kicked goals in 58 of 68 games as small forward.

Three parts cut drinking in a Port Melbourne pub when he was told he had to sober up and get to training. He smashes his pot against the bar, then cuts his forehead with it and told them to tell Kennedy he was injured and couldn't make it.

He could seriously play too. Kicked goals in 58 of 68 games as small forward.

Huge talent, not very well respected by a lot of people.
Played at Port Melbourne, Werribee and also got into a bit of trouble up North as a coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For memory something like that, he was coach at the time.

Wasn't it the one with the big orchestrated grand final brawl just after the teams lined up?

1990?

Believe pre- meditated as they had little chance of winning.
Love still Forbidden
HeraldSun
February 8, 2010 11:30pm

FORMER AFL footballer Jason Love is attempting to have a ban lifted so he can coach Port Melbourne Colts in the Western Region Football League this season.
Love, 43, was a central figure in one of the biggest brawls in football history.
He was coach of the North Cairns Tigers in the 2004 North Queensland grand final against Port Douglas Crocs.
A massive punch-up erupted involving players, officials and fans when his team charged at at their opponents after the pre-match anthem ended.
After what was said to be the longest investigations in the history of the code, Love's players were suspended for more than 400 matches.

similars

Love, who played for North Melbourne and Sydney, was suspended on separate charges for three and five years and thought the suspensions were to be served concurrently, but AFL Queensland says he is banned until 2012.
AFL Victoria has refused to accredit him as a coach and he now plans to appeal.
Love has been taking training at the Colts, where he coached in 1995.
He told the Port Phillip Leader : "I had one indiscretion in eight years of coaching and haven't I paid for it? I've expressed remorse (about the brawl) many times. I just want to get back into it with the Colts, coaching footy."

AFL Victoria coaching development manager Steve Teakel said Love faced tribunal hearings in 2004 and 2005 and had been suspended for striking two players, for "conduct unbecoming of a coach" and for "conduct likely to bring the game into disrepute".
He said the Colts were entitled to appeal through AFL Victoria's independent panel.
And as an aside, Love has taken up bowls at Port Melbourne Bowls Club.
"Ah, I've got a soft side," he quipped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back