News North's Bold Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Will my paver with my name on it and "Go Roos !" be affected ?

If so, I plan to lodge an objection.
Your paver will be placed into "storage" ie. it will be crushed and destroyed into a powdery blithering mess as per Skinny Martyn's monument in the redevelopment.

Ill tell you one thing.... you've got too much money!
But to answer your question 1.01%
So there's a chance!!! Exciting times at 'Arden'. Wow we've come a long way as a club. Great to see.

Nah far from it. A family member is a financial planner so he sorts out the balance sheets. Piggyback this, do that. He's probably setting me up for bankruptcy for the lol's.

In my fantasy of fantasies I'd pitch for a boutique stadium to be built west of Laurens street/south of Arden Street, with the remaining space parkland. It could have a direct connection to the freeway and right next to North Melbourne station and where Arden station is being proposed.

I don't think it would ever fly as the council want to make massive $$$ out of property development.

I like the club's proposal because it is ambitious without being utterly ridiculous.

Nearly moved to the Gold Coast a decade ago, now we're trying to pull off stuff like this. Club management have done a remarkable job.

Perhaps if we threw a bit of sand around at the Arden Street Swimming Pool we might be able to re-locate the Gold Coast down here.

Replete with meter maids (do they still have them up there?) we would be well and truly on a winner.

I don't want to be the skeptic, but there's about $50m in private commercial real estate the club would have to acquire before this is even a possibility, there's 4-5 business where that second oval is, including Bowens etc which probably wouldn't be thrilled about moving one of the biggest inner city timber yards.

If we did manage to acquire them, we'd have to delete 2 streets and all the encompassed services, then there's the building of something like that, probably $40m+

This is at least a $100m undertaking.

Wet Blanket. Let's not worry about realities, let's just allow ourselves to enjoy the moment for the time being.

Perhaps if we threw a bit of sand around at the Arden Street Swimming Pool we might be able to re-locate the Gold Coast down here.

Replete with meter maids (do they still have them up there?) we would be well and truly on a winner.
Clever. You could have a section of the pool opening up to sand like they do in areas with no beaches. That way the boys can walk into the cold water up to their waist and pretend they are at a beach recovery session.

North Melbourne unveils Arden St expansion plans
IAN ROYALL, Herald Sun
May 10, 2017 11:19pm
Subscriber only

NORTH Melbourne Football Club has revealed a masterplan to expand its Arden St headquarters, almost tripling in size, and acquiring land including the Lost Dogs’ Home.

The club’s long-term vision is to expand west as the neighbourhood changes because of the Arden precinct redevelopment with the Metro rail tunnel project.

North chief executive Carl Dilena said the whole triangle was on the state government’s radar, and that change would happen over a long period.

But Lost Dogs’ Home chief executive Andrew Israel said the charity wasn’t going anywhere. The home owns the Gracie St site, which it has occupied for 107 years.

“We’ll be here for as long as the community needs us,’’ Mr Israel said.

“Bulldozers won’t be at the gate in five minutes. The reality is that it will take place over the next 10 to 40 years.

“I can fully understand North Melbourne’s plan to expand the operation of the club and to expand its presence in the local community.

“But I can’t see those plans being agreed to, implemented and funded in any easy, convenient way.’’

fefe72c81b782c6df6f963fb6b471d15

79527d238787b7f04119dcf7c063223b

The Lost Dogs Home is under threat by North Melbourne Football Club expansion plans. Jimmy, a 10-month-old wire-haired terrier cross, outside the home. Picture: David Caird
c36084a030d099c797a8b8a6a5bf678f

Ben Cunnington flies for a mark during a pre season game at Arden St. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

Mr Dilena said the masterplan was to reflect the changing profile of the area, from light industrial to high-density residential, and the need for more community space for residents.

North’s dream is to expand along Macaulay Rd and to build an indoor pool and two indoor centres, one with a synthetic oval and another with four multi-use courts.

An outdoor synthetic oval and changerooms are also part of the proposal which has been submitted to the Victorian Planning Authority.

The plans come in response to the $7 billion redevelopment of the Arden precinct as part of the Metro underground rail project.

ce156cbf4641fe3f40b3dd646e3cfebd

The first building is demolished for the Metro Tunnel project. Picture: Nicole Garmston
01b730314c4726242cf2cc177a2835c8

The building on the corner of Queensberry and Laurens streets is no more. Picture: Nicole Garmston

North’s expansion would also mean the purchase of land occupied by Citywide, Bowens Timber and Hardware and workshops.

Citywide spokesman Simon Mossman said the North document was a long-term vision. “There is no urgency to this process,’’ he said.

About 75 per cent of the land in North’s concept is government owned.

The plan has not been costed, but the club would seek funding support.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Melbourne unveils Arden St expansion plans

But Lost Dogs’ Home chief executive Andrew Israel said the charity wasn’t going anywhere. The home owns the Gracie St site, which it has occupied for 107 years.

“We’ll be here for as long as the community needs us,’’ Mr Israel said.

“Bulldozers won’t be at the gate in five minutes. The reality is that it will take place over the next 10 to 40 years.

“I can fully understand North Melbourne’s plan to expand the operation of the club and to expand its presence in the local community.

“But I can’t see those plans being agreed to, implemented and funded in any easy, convenient way.’’

79527d238787b7f04119dcf7c063223b

The Lost Dogs Home is under threat by North Melbourne Football Club expansion plans. Jimmy, a 10-month-old wire-haired terrier cross, outside the home.

Ahem, excuse me, but isn't this the place where they KILL SWEET LITTLE PUPPY DOGS?!

We need to mobilise the inner city Greens in order to shut down this barbaric abattoir IMMEDIATELY!

Just keep it and incorporate it into the NMFC community presence like The Huddle, and use it as another lure to get Josh Kelly to the club. Carlton gave Judd a position as an ambassador for Visy, well we can give Josh, and his passion for dogs, a gig as an ambassador for the Lost Dogs Shelter.

The Lost Dogs Home can't stay there when the area turns residential. The barking would drive the entire neighbourhood crazy.

Suspect it will be offered a sweet deal by the govt to move.
Maybe they should make the adoption of a dog a condition of purchase of a residential property in the Arden precinct. Problem solved:thumbsu:

Maybe they should make the adoption of a dog a condition of purchase of a residential property in the Arden precinct. Problem solved:thumbsu:

Why wouldn't they soundproof the kennel

All well and good for the dogs home to say they will stay there indefinitely, but when the area is rezoned and the developers come knocking on their door offering 30mill to move on and shut up shop, all the very best saying no to that.

Only issue I see here is that the VPA have identified Fogarty st as a main arterial boulevard for the Arden precinct area in the planning documents.

We'll be hard pressed to change their minds in allowing Fogarty st to be incorporated as parkland.

Ahem, excuse me, but isn't this the place where they KILL SWEET LITTLE PUPPY DOGS?!

We need to mobilise the inner city Greens in order to shut down this barbaric abattoir IMMEDIATELY!

It is a bit like the RSPCA claiming some moral victory for their efforts in shutting down greyhound racing when they euthanised about 3 times as many as the industry they tried to close down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back