Norths list strategy. Genius or disaster?

Genius or Disaster?

• Smart list management

Votes: 87 40.8%
  • Terrible idea

Votes: 126 59.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Be hard to recruit players who don't know who the coach is going to be. I presume they will announce a new coach soon.
Be it Roos, Lyon or Gumby McGumby, that will form part of any pitch to players.

Yep

An established "leader" coach with a two year mandate makes sense. The club needs certainty and stability, from a confident coach who doesn't fear a nonsense "now now" media.

A couple of years ago Brisbane were in a world of strife, a short couple of years later and it changes, Richmond lost the last round 2016 By over 100 points I believe ... north have a strong group of young talent ( 7 rising stars noms) draft picks this year relax boys you will be hating us a lot more in a very short space of time...

Random thing to say this.... I remembered north beating Freo in 2017 or 2018 with Ben Brown and Jarrad Waite in Norths Forward line. It was a dangerous forward line having those 2 talls in the forward 50

Ironically - I preferred a Majak Daw up forward - - someone that the likes of the Swans undersized defenders couldn't push under the ball.

Brown and Petrie before him were unable to hold their position under the ball.

Always frustrated me - especially when our mids just bombed the ball on top of them.

Shouldn't the new coach have a say in Norths list strategy? Surely you wait for them before getting rid of so many players.

Firstly the decisions were made when Rhys was still in charge but saying that any incumbent coach that looked at that list and had compelling reason to keep them probably would have raised questions anyway.

Firstly the decisions were made when Rhys was still in charge but saying that any incumbent coach that looked at that list and had compelling reason to keep them probably would have raised questions anyway.
More so meant decent players that are being shopped. Brown, Higgins, Polec etc i feel like everyone deserves a chat with the coach first. Mainly Brown as it feels like he has been pushed out the door.

More so meant decent players that are being shopped. Brown, Higgins, Polec etc i feel like everyone deserves a chat with the coach first. Mainly Brown as it feels like he has been pushed out the door.

I think all three are individual cases.

Polec was shopped by the media based on him being dropped a couple of games. Never seen anything to suggest the club feels the same, he's also been mentioned a couple of times by the club in relation to our list in 2021.

Higgins is a much loved player at North Melbourne however from his angle he's being offered a role at a grand finalist, one near where his family is as his wife is about to have twins, in the twilight of his career. From our angle we're in an immediate list rebuild and we can take maximum value from a veteran. There's two different hands on the steering wheel.

Brown is the more peculiar one to some but for the most part it's a contract dispute that's turned into "well we're not paying you that so go see what you can get elsewhere". We need to remember that this bloke had the same run at the footy as any other player this season (until when he hurt his knee) and managed 8 goals in 9 games. At his age and with another knee injury to an existing run there's a limit between how much you can look at the previous three seasons where he managed 60-ish goals a game and wonder what the next four years are going to bring. We don't really have the luxury of having a new coach run the rule over him, mainly because the worst thing we can do is rush the coach process.

So we're pretty sure Aidan Corr is on his way as a free agent, and it sounds like Lachie Young will be joining the Roos off the Dogs' rookie list as well.

Not sure yet whether he moves as a free agent or via trade (the rules are a bit murky here) but he'll get to North and it won't cost them much.

He effectively replaces Pittard on the list - who was awful - on what is most likely a significantly lower salary.

He's obviously no certainty to make it but this is a very low risk high reward move for North. It's a smart piece of business IMO.

I like it. There will be pain but those guys aren’t taking the club anywhere.

Only problem is the existing blokes probably want out rather than being a basket case for years.

Cut hard and fast .
Still a fan of Roos strategy.

Cut hard and fast but you can see the club building in the right direction.

Kept enough old heads around to help them as well

Putting stephenson on-ball immediately spells genius, putting ziebell back, hall half back as i predicted, all ticks thus far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s no better youngster on their list than Tarryn Thomas. He’d go top 5 in a redraft of 2018.

You'd be pretty excited if you were a North supporter, their improvement this season has been phenomenal, they will have a very good team in a few years time.

Next year.

None of the players we got rid of would be playing, the picks we got for Brown were used to get Stephenson and Bosenavulagi, the pick we got for Shaun Higgins helped get Lazzaro who didn't play today but looks like a gun. Undeniably made the right decision last year, trading players who still have currency instead of continuing to plod along with one of the oldest lists in the league

Make no mistake, besides signing Noble as our coach, the list management changes we executed in 2020 were the best decision the club made.

Ideally we wouldn’t have had to cut so deep so quickly, but they had a big mess to clean up from the previous regime.

I would recommend Hawthorn do the same in 2021.

Make no mistake, besides signing Noble as our coach, the list management changes we executed in 2020 were the best decision the club made.

Ideally we wouldn’t have had to cut so deep so quickly, but they had a big mess go clean up from the previous regime.

I would recommend Hawthorn do the same in 2021.

but their board expect hawthorn to be competitive.....meaning cant bottom out, officially.

You can see the wheels start turning, Zurharr starting to break out, Thomas showing something, Pinching Stephenson was a steal/

Would be happy but still need to nail 1-2 drafts. They didnt do the full Carlton/Melbourne fire sale. If they had shipped Brown/Higgins as well of two of off Cunnington/Hall/Ziebell/Goldstein it would of been a disaster

They should of also sent off Polec, but I think it was more of a they wanted him to change his attitude and fight back because they paid big money and shown faith in him, which has turned out to be a botch and should of cut their losses last year

Back