News North's recruiting team resigns en masse

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah man, I was just thinking that this week. How could a young kid, living in housing commissions with a single mother and absent immigrant father ever do anything positive with their life?

I mean it could never happen, success is impossible for a small fish.

Just wind the club up. There is nothing to be gained by keeping them going.

It's a graveyard for has-beens and below average footy players to get paid AFL wages long beyond when they deserve to.

No relocation to Tassie, just out with the old and in with the new.

Well there in close time proximity is thesis and antithesis.

I went through the relocation of my Club 40 years ago. External capital interests drove the move including some familiar names such as Pratt and Murdoch. The head of the VFL was the North figure Allan Aylett who I detest to this day. Ironically our last game at the beautiful Lake Oval was v North.

For ages I would have been happy to see North relocated or dissolved. Revenge has its own taste. I would enjoy matches at Docklands where Bloods fans outnumbered Roos fans. I hear and read how North finances are rock solid and they have 40K + members. Yet just 7-8,000 North fans turned up for their home game v Melbourne (assuming 5-6K Dees fans turned up).

I am now opposed to dissolution or relocation (Tas do not want them). Instead the 'solution' should recognise the AFL market is over saturated in Melbourne. Nine Clubs is one too many. There may be an appetite for a reconstituted and pumped up VFA or Melbourne based Second Division with a hybrid Promotion - Relegation system. Imagine fan and media interest in the fight to avoid the drop or win promotion.

Yeah... like almost every other club? I'm pretty sure there are Victorian clubs that have received more than us in the past decade.
Yeah, so the AFL can *** whomever over whenever they feel like it?

This notion that clubs can thumb their nose at the AFL is just naive nonsense at its finest.

I'm not saying it will happen, but if the AFL want it to, it will. Regardless of whether North are receiving $10m per year handout from the AFL and have no debt, or whether they're receiving $12m per year and have debt.

ask any big footy poster

"do you think its a good idea to start the year with 2 key backs on the list.one has been cut from two clubs"

these three men thought that was a good idea, no loss for north

Yes it does. It's exactly how it works.

Ask Hawthorn and Jeff Kennett how quickly and easily the AFL can turn the screws on you if they want.
No it really doesn't. If that's the way it worked then North would have moved to the Gold Coast 15 years ago. Sure, they can stop us playing games in Tassie if they want but that's it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness in any business you would be concerned if one person walks out but to have three people from the same department walk out on the same day should send a massive quake through the club that something is terribly off.

Noble seems completely out of his depth, the we(coaches) and them(players) stuff sounds like he’s divisive. The need to apologize to the player group for giving them constant sprays sounds even worse.

Seems like they will not be making any changes in the immediate future either, so this could get very messy.

No it really doesn't. If that's the way it worked then North would have moved to the Gold Coast 15 years ago. Sure, they can stop us playing games in Tassie if they want but that's it.

North would be in the Gold Coast right now if the AFL had planned it better.

It is mind numbingly naive to think that the AFL don't get what they want.

North Melbourne literally have an operating profit of −$15,718,784!!!

The AFL are the reason they exist, same as all clubs bar two or three.

It is so easy for that to change. They could literally tweak that overnight if they wanted to.

The only reason they wouldn't do it, is because it isn't financially beneficial to do so in the long term. If that changes, then so will the AFL's model.

Disagree. Adelaide’s offer was the best and it was 4, a future pick that looks 4-6 and Melbourne’s pick 15-18 in return for 1 and North’s 2nd rounder (around about 19-20).

The back half of that deal practically cancels out.

And whilst Rachele is great and a pick 4-6 looks good too you might not end up with anything great from that pick. There’s a long line of players in that range who aren’t special.

Meanwhile JHF has all the hallmarks of a superstar and genuine game changing talent. You can’t panic because he might go home, you have to trust yourself to keep him.

The only way that trade would’ve been worth while was if they thought pick 4 would get them a superstar and the future pick had an A grader lined up to trade in. Rachele or even Gibcus are great but not true superstar prospects. And North’s track record of trading guys in doesn’t strike confidence they’d land a big fish. Better the superstar prospect in hand than 2 in the bush.

If that's the case yep... I remember hearing 3x Round 1 picks, to knock that back would be absolutely ridiculous.

If it was effectively only 2 then understandable.

With the Saints going with Gallagher as a list manager, he at least has a footy background. Spent a few years on the crows list in the early 00s and then played a bunch of sanfl.
I reckon 20 years at Champion Data counts as a footy background too. Especially for a list managers job which is about allocating resources based on a coach and a recruiters needs. Analytics has worked in all the major sports, it's a big naïve to suggest someone from that kind of background couldn't succeed.

It's hard to imagine what would make 3 recruiters walk away at once

It must be some disconnect between recruiting strategy and list management I would think.

Either the coach/list manager wants to over rule the recruiters.

Or the list manager wants to target mature players whilst thr recruiters want to use those picks in the draft.

In all seriousness in any business you would be concerned if one person walks out but to have three people from the same department walk out on the same day should send a massive quake through the club that something is terribly off.

It's hard to imagine what would make 3 recruiters walk away at once
There's no hiding that our club is facing a lot of challenges, but you've both got it wrong about what has happened here.

Finnigan and Birthisel have been in constant contact with the club about their amicable departures from the club over the course of weeks.

Its just that the news of their departures was only confirmed yesterday when Luff had some kind of tantrum and left.

They could always buy a champion data subscription
... they could... BUT THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT, AMIRITE?!?!!?!

Damn you sure did leave the door open for that cracker!!

Edit: Too late, well played gadget man :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back